Bootcamp drive icon (Windows 10), missing from macbook pro desktop.

Reaction score
I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 and I've had bootcamp running Windows 10 on my computer for a while now until today when the bootcamp drive icon disappeared from my macbook pro desktop, even though it boots up normally into windows after a restart or shutdown. I've tried to follow several guides on how to get the drive icon back and I've even reinstalled the mac os x system but all to no avail.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to Finder > Preferences > General. Make sure the external disk option is selected for "Show these items on the desktop."

OP
okizen
Reaction score
Go to Finder > Preferences > General. Make sure the external disk option is selected for "Show these items on the desktop."

I've tried that but I still can't see the icon. I also forgot to mention in my last post that the bootcamp drive is also not shown under Devices on the left. I tried to hide and show but still no joy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about your Macintosh HD icon, is that visible on your desktop? Also, run Disk Utility to see if the Windows 10 partition shows up (you don't need to boot to recovery).

OP
okizen
Reaction score
How about your Macintosh HD icon, is that visible on your desktop? Also, run Disk Utility to see if the Windows 10 partition shows up (you don't need to boot to recovery).

Yes my mac icon is visible and working and in Disk Utility the Windws 10 partition is visible but greyed out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From Disk Utility, try mounting your Windows 10 partition. If you're successful, the grey out should be removed and it will show up again on your desktop.

OP
okizen
Reaction score
From Disk Utility, try mounting your Windows 10 partition. If you're successful, the grey out should be removed and it will show up again on your desktop.

I've tried the Disk Utility but I couldn't mount the disk, and got the message 'The disk “BOOTCAMP” could not be mounted.Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting'. I've tried First Aid, with Repair Disk but got the same results. (The Repair Disk Permissions are also greyed out).

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Evidently the drive is not damaged nor the boot sector since you say you can boot to Windows 10. However, something is not right if Disk Utility won't allow it to be mounted. Unless you're in the mood for erasing the drive and reinstalling everything, I would leave well enough alone for now. Perhaps later on you can reinstall Windows 10 in a virtual machine and run it that way. Much less headaches.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you comfortable using the command line? You can mount it from there. If you are, execute the following:
Code:
diskutil list
This will list your disks. On the left, you'll see a list of "/dev/diskX" labels (where X is a number). One of those will be your BootCamp disks. If you can determine which one is the BC disk, execute the following:
Code:
diskutil mountDisk /dev/diskX
(Where X is the disk number). If you're not comfortable with this, we can take you through it with more detail.

OP
okizen
Reaction score
Are you comfortable using the command line? You can mount it from there. If you are, execute the following:
Code:
diskutil list
This will list your disks. On the left, you'll see a list of "/dev/diskX" labels (where X is a number). One of those will be your BootCamp disks. If you can determine which one is the BC disk, execute the following:
Code:
diskutil mountDisk /dev/diskX
(Where X is the disk number). If you're not comfortable with this, we can take you through it with more detail.
I'm semi-comfortable using the command line and would like more detail should this ever happen again. However I have just clean formatted the entire drive and I will reinstall Bootcamp/Windows 10 as new again.

Last edited:
OP
okizen
Reaction score
Evidently the drive is not damaged nor the boot sector since you say you can boot to Windows 10. However, something is not right if Disk Utility won't allow it to be mounted. Unless you're in the mood for erasing the drive and reinstalling everything, I would leave well enough alone for now. Perhaps later on you can reinstall Windows 10 in a virtual machine and run it that way. Much less headaches.
I have just clean formatted the entire drive and will install Bootcamp/Windows 10 as new again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.