How to make a bootable Windows flash-drive?

Reaction score
Hello! :D
I want to install Windows (7, 8.1, or 10) on my MacBook Air, but I need to make a bootable drive to install. I have a 3.7GB thumbstick, and am running OS X 10.10.5. What do I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would help if you told us which MacBook Air you have? Anyway, you need to purchase a full install copy of Windows 7 and then burn it to an ISO on the flash drive. You're also going to need a flash drive larger than what you have. You need a flash drive with a capacity of around 8 GB for the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Once you have Windows 7 installed on your MacBook Air you can download Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and it will upgrade over Windows 7 with a new activation code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
In addition to what chscag said here is how you can create the usb install drive that should work for any version of windows that you have an iso for using bootcamp:

Creating a Windows flash drive installer on an OS X computer

Note: In Mac OS X, the option to create a Windows flash drive will only appear if the computer you're using does not have an optical drive. On Macs with optical drives, the option will be either missing or grayed out.

1. From the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then Utilities.
2. Open the Boot Camp Assistant, and then click Continue. The next screen should give you a list of options.
3. It is recommended making the USB drive installer first. You don't need to install Windows or download the support software at this time, as it will be easier to do both later. To proceed:
a. Verify that the USB drive you will be writing to is plugged in and is at least 8GB.
b. Uncheck the Install Windows 7 or later version and Download the latest Windows support software from Apple options.
c. Check Create a Windows 7 or later install disk and click Continue.
4. Your USB drive should be listed in the "Destination disk" area. Use choose to browse to your .iso file; after selecting it, click Continue.
5. If prompted, confirm your action and/or provide an administrator's password. The process of writing the.iso file to the USB drive can take 20 minutes or longer.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
chscag was asking abut which model MBA as if it came with an optical drive you have to go the DVD route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What model of Macbook Air had a DVD drive? Did I miss something?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did not the 2008/2011 models not have an optional optical drive before going to the USB external?

If a model came with the drive it would be logical to use the DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.