Music library Management

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new on this forum and this is my first post as I am not a Mac user but hope to learn a lot more about Mac OS in the future :)
I work freelance in IT and have a client at present that entirely works on Mac's, more specifically iTunes.

With the iTunes updates the feature of opening playlists in separate windows being removed it has become a much slower and harder process to create playlists as it is not as easy to compare playlist content with each other.
Also, iTunes seems to be running very slow, i suppose the library size may affect it (>3TB purely songs).

The library is going to be relocated onto an NAS for all staff to work off the same library in the future (Synology DS415+)

I am looking for an alternative to iTunes with following criteria:

- needs to be able to read iTunes library (as the purchase of the songs would still be happening via iTunes).
- ability to create playlists easily and compare them to each other
- Possibility to output a file per playlist.
- connect to a library stored on a NAS
- scan for duplicate files

Any pointers would be most appreciated and if you require any further information, please do let me know and i'll provide as much as I can!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I would suggest you take a look at JRiver Media Center. It's not free but it is a remarkable alternative to iTunes and sounds better to boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.