• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Building a family tree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Having been sucked into both Ancestry and yesterday MyHeritage I find that all they really want to do is persuade you to become a regular subscriber. I just want to build a family tree from information that I either have or can easily find for free. Has anybody tried 'Reunion for Mac' or any other fixed price/free software for the purpose? I don't need pretty pictures just something like Excel/Calc/Numbers that enables me to build in my own way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
After using a number of products over the years, I'm currently using Heredis 2015 which meets most of my needs although navigation could be more intuitive (or I could just read the instructions better!) and data input is not a one step process that it could be and a bit disjointed in places. It's not free but often on offer. In addition I still, on occasion, revert to using an older version of Family Tree Maker for particular charts but that has become less as Heredis has added more printing options. For tips and software reviews I'd recommend GenealogyTools as a good place to start. Also, as you are in the UK take a look at Lost Cousins: Putting Relatives In Touch. For my main source of information I subscribe to FindMyPast although recent 'updates' have dumbed down the interface and made this far less easy to use than previously. GeneReunited is cheap, allows you to build a family tree and as a bonus, to find matches with lost lost (or never known) relatives.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Many thanks for this. I am now downloading the demo version of Heredis 2015 the full version of which is much cheaper than Reunion. I'll let you know how I get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Check out the Help and Support page on the website - There is a comprehensive manual, technical info, videos and forum. Their email support is good too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.