Run UNIX executable file in OS 10.7.5

Reaction score
How can I download a UNIX executable file from a voice recorder so I can get it into an mp3 that iTunes will accept?
Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you be more specific? What is your voice recorder? When you say download from it, are you trying to transfer the binary off of the voice recorder?

OP
J
Reaction score
It's an Olympus voice recorder DS2. I downloaded the recording onto my desktop. I am using OS 10.7.5. I need to get the recording into iTunes or any other app so I can transfer it to another Mac computer, and of course listen to it.
Thanks again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What format is the file? There are some options here for converting audio files.

Are the files themselves listed as Unix executables? Are there instructions with the voice recorder about transferring files?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think those files are supposed to be Unix files. I saw a suggestion that the files are .wma. It might be possible to go at it from that direction. I don't think the Mac Get Info window will allow you to set the file type to .wma but it might allow you to set the files to open in a program that reads wha files.

I've seen some suggestion that there is some software out there that works with this recorder and works under 10.7. It seems to convert the files to something that works with several Mac sound programs.

Edit: Found a link to what should be the correct software. When you decompress the file the installer is inside the folder.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Slyv is correct -- the problem here is that the OS X default for a file created with no file extension is "UNIX executable," but of course the file isn't really that format at all. You'll want to find out from the manufacturer of the Olympus DS2 what file format the voice recorder *actually* uses (a cursory internet search suggests it is either -- depending on the compression level chosen -- a proprietary Olympus format or a more standard WMA format), and if they have any software to make that Mac compatible (I would expect they do, since they advertise the device as being Mac and PC compatible). You could try just adding the extension .wma to the file manually and see if that makes it openable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.