Webcam help! ??

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a webcam that will work to do live streaming on a site called Stage-it. It's allows musicians to perform live and broadcast live from anywhere. I purchased a Logitech c920 from Amazon only to try it and not have it work. I sent it back this morning. I've been on the web for hours trying to find a webcam that will work with my Mac mini.i even checked my upload and download speed which are all in the right range. There are so much conflicting information. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need a little help. Has anyone ever streamed live with your Mac. Any information as to what cams would work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know and I've never done such streaming and the last time I used a "non-Mac" webcam was ages ago and used the old macam software which may be too old and iUSBCam which is limited and I believe will need Rosetta to run (SL 10.6.8 latest).
macam : USB webcam support for Mac OS X

So you'll probably need to do some googling and maybe keep it restricted to "Mac" related, and I know they're out there:
Mac Webcam List : Best Apple Compatible Web Cameras

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's been a while since I've messed with an external webcam with an Apple computer as well. The last time was probably 4-5 years ago with a relative that had a 2009 Mac-Mini. At the time the only web cam that I could find that worked was a Logitech model…and I think that it was a C900 or a C910 (of course the most expensive model)!;) So when you mentioned the Logitech C920 not working (the current most expensive model)…I was a little surprised.

I went to Logitech.com…and checked out the specs for a C920…and it does not mention being compatible with the Mac OS (doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a work-around posted somewhere on the web). I looked at the specs for the other webcam models as well…and only the model that mentioned Mac OS compatibility was the C615. But…this was only Mac OS 10.5-10.6. So it may or may not work with newer OS versions.

I think that since the vast majority of computers that Apple sells (iMacs, and notebook computers) have built-in webcams…that webcam manufacturers are not making enough money on Mac-supported webcam models…so maybe they're discontinuing them for this reason.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well guess what. I did some internet searching…and found that according to the specs...the Logitech webcam C920-C ($119.99) and the C930e ($129.99) list Mac OS compatibility. So maybe one of these will fit your needs. They were listed in Logitech's "business" area…not a place most of us users would look.

C920-C = Logitech for Business
C930e = Logitech for Business

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm gonna give the 930e a closer look again. I wish Logitech made it easier to talk to a human! I have the c920 heading back to Amazon and I might have a c930e heading back this way in the next few days. Where are those drones Jeff Bezos has been talkin' 'bout? ��

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm gonna give the 930e a closer look again. I wish Logitech made it easier to talk to a human! I have the c920 heading back to Amazon and I might have a c930e heading back this way in the next few days. Where are those drones Jeff Bezos has been talkin' 'bout? ��

If you get the 930e…please post back your results. I would love to know…and I'm sure someone else searching the threads in the future would find it helpful.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I recall, and I'm going back many years, any UVC (USB Video Class) rated webcam was supposed to just work, at least at a basic level, when connected, which would be nice IF Apple has still left in the necessary software which I would be surprised if they have.

But googling that subject provides some info but no idea wheat era the page is, there should be a law to date web pages: :(
Webcam Software For Mac : OSX Apps For Apple Web Cameras

but still some other sites to check with a google search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=8KjoVYaKGImV8Qf-6IFA

And WFWIW, I've still got iGlasses installed that still works with Mavericks and my iMac isight, and I originally also used with an old cheap USB PC webcam and the other old software I mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.