itunes help in organising my music collection

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my new macbook pro now for 2/3 months and I am only just getting to grips with things.

I do not currently own any other apple products and wish to use my mac for DJ purposes via traktor. Within tractor there is an options to select tracks from iTunes.

So, I would naturally like to use iTunes to organise my music. I understand the principal function of iTunes, but would like to have a more "manual" approach to the initial organising of it. I have deleted my current iTunes library of some of my recent tracks.

I have a large music collection currently stored on a NAS. I would like to import some or indeed most of the music files to my mac but then have them organised in iTunes. I have tried to import certain folders, lets say for example e.g.. 1980's but cannot find a way to import these as a playlist(s).

Secondly, once this playlist is created I would like it to automatically update (sounds contradictory to the fact I want to manually update I know?) when I add a new music file to a folder on the mac

Lastly, I would prefer iTunes not to make a copy, so as to save on hard drive space.

I hope someone is able to assist, I have spent all afternoon trying to find a solution.

C

chas_m

I think you may be overthinking the issue. Throw all the tunes into the iTunes library, and then create Smart Playlists of stuff (say, 1980s tracks). Any new tracks you add from the 80s will automatically be in the 80s smart playlist (this is of course assuming that the year is in the file's info).

OP
D
Reaction score
I think you may be overthinking the issue. Throw all the tunes into the iTunes library, and then create Smart Playlists of stuff (say, 1980s tracks). Any new tracks you add from the 80s will automatically be in the 80s smart playlist (this is of course assuming that the year is in the file's info).

thanks chas.
Does iTunes make another file in the iTunes folder taking up more space? I only have 256gb.

C

chas_m

No, this is all behind-the-scenes database views, not copying of any files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.