Default browser/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
At the moment my OS is OS X 10.10.5 and my default browser is Firefox 40. I have just bought a new toy, a TomTom GO 6100 and have installed TomTom MyDrive Connect. When I connect my 6100 to my MacBook Pro and select MyDrive, the web site, from MyDrive Connect it brings up a page in Firefox, MyDrive. (It's a pity that they didn't give it a different name instead of trying to confuse everyone!)

The problem is that the web page, MyDrive, throws up the spinning beach ball of death and a sub window saying the the script has stopped. I works OK on Safari, but when I click from the program MyDrive Connect it opens the page in the default, Firefox.

My question is, is there any way that I can make MD C program default to Safari without changing the normal default??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is, is there any way that I can make MD C program default to Safari without changing the normal default??

No, as long as FF is your default browser it will be called up. You would have to change your default browser to Safari. I don't like Safari either but I leave it as default for one of the reasons you cited above. My usual browser of choice is Chrome.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check the MDC settings - there may be an option in there. Instead of just opening a page, some apps let you choose which third party app is opened.

You could also install an extension such as this one which would let you quickly open the page in Safari from Firefox.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you, I will have a look and a play with that and let you know how I get on.

As an aside. The reason for all of this is that I got myself a new toy. A TomTom GO 6100 and instead of the TomTom Home that my old one uses it uses TomTom MyDrive Connect. One of the first things it has done is to download a new version of the Europe map, 5 + gig of it. And on my high speed (?) 1 meg ADSL line it takes about 8 hours! I want to be able to use the 6100 on both my MBP and iMac and rather than download the same map to the iMac I'm trying to find out how to transfer that file/folder between the 2 machines.

I have asked the question on the TomTom forum and they have been very helpful, but the guy doesn't know the Mac. He has told me that unlike the old TomTom the system sees the 6100 as a Network adaptor. I have never had to do anything with Network Adaptors and have no idea if it's possible to do anything with them about transferring files.

Another problem I have if I do have to download that lot again is that the dammed thing has failed twice now and I haven't had chance to find out why!!

Any ideas would be VERY welcome folks as my hair is now turning even more grey than it already is :-(((

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.