PDA

View Full Version : iCloud Payment scam or not?

garigoun
08-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Hi, this morning I received an email purporting to come from Apple iCloud confirming payment of $29.99 for a storage plan which I have not ordered or authorised and saying that it will be paid monthly as of today's date.

The email is addressed to me by name and is from Apple 89479@icu.de

It has an order number and is for a 1Tb storage plane billed monthly. It has a credit card no. in this format
Credit Card ---- ---- ---- xxxx

it says i may cancel (the word cancel is a link) or downgrade (the word downgrade is a link) Going to either of these leads me to iTunes where i am required to input all my details including CC No. iTunes has my details already.

I'm very suspicious. The font and style and icons all look genuine BUT....
What do you think?
G

nickyr
08-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Looks like a scam to me.

Here is a link to the Apple iCloud storage plans and costs - $19.99 in the US and Canada, not $29.99.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238

The link is probably to a spoof site whose purpose is to get you to provide your credit card details. However it might be worth your while to check with your credit card company to make sure there haven't been any suspicious transactions.

bobtomay
08-23-2015, 11:13 AM
scam - apple does not use any address that is not theirs - icu.de is definitely not an apple address.

Any email you get purporting to be from Apple and it does not come from an apple.com, itunes.com, icloud.com, etc. address is a phony.

garigoun
08-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Looks like a scam to me.

Here is a link to the Apple iCloud storage plans and costs - $19.99 in the US and Canada, not $29.99.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238

The link is probably to a spoof site whose purpose is to get you to provide your credit card details. However it might be worth your while to check with your credit card company to make sure there haven't been any suspicious transactions.

Thank you Nick. I will check with the CC co. now.
Cheers
G

garigoun
08-23-2015, 12:09 PM
scam - apple does not use any address that is not theirs - icu.de is definitely not an apple address.

Any email you get purporting to be from Apple and it does not come from an apple.com, itunes.com, icloud.com, etc. address is a phony.

Many thanks for quick reply Bob. I'll ignore it but keep my eye on my CC account.
Thanks again
G