• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Creating an ISO file on a MAC

Reaction score
Hello. I am very new here. I have a question for you. I just bought a iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB... computer. It runs iMovie 10.0.6.

I make movies for CREATESPACE, and they have changed their format to be PC formatted only... no more sending them a disc with my .dv and .mov films on them...

I would like to make my own "ISO" things...

I am 53 years old, and not in any wise computer literate.

What I want is a THING that I can drag a .dv or a .mov movie into, and then receive a rendered .ISO file from that. UNENCRYPTED, too. That is also important.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me!

Beowulf53

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Disk Utility is your friend here. Open Disk Utility > New Image > change Format to exFAT and Image Format to DVD/CD master. Change to size of the image to something appropriate. This will create a CDR image which is the same thing as an ISO (in other words, simply change the extension from cdr to iso). Mount it like you would any other image, copy stuff to it and unmount it. That's all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Disk Utility is your friend here. Open Disk Utility > New Image > change Format to exFAT and Image Format to DVD/CD master. Change to size of the image to something appropriate. This will create a CDR image which is the same thing as an ISO (in other words, simply change the extension from cdr to iso). Mount it like you would any other image, copy stuff to it and unmount it. That's all.

You sort of lost me after OPEN DISC UTILITY... NEW IMAGE where? You will really have to walk me through this, for I understand none
of it!!

I seem to recall doing this in another life, somewhere, and my .dv and.mov movies were grayed out and could not be selected...

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You sort of lost me after OPEN DISC UTILITY... NEW IMAGE where? You will really have to walk me through this, for I understand none
of it!!
Take a look in /Applications/Utilities (your "regular" applications folder). In that folder is Disk Utility. Once you get that open, the instructions should be clear.

OP
B
Reaction score
Take a look in /Applications/Utilities (your "regular" applications folder). In that folder is Disk Utility. Once you get that open, the instructions should be clear.

So I go to DISK UTILITY - FILE - NEW - BLANK DISC IMAGE and the choices all come up GRAYED OUT for .dv and .mov...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would seem as though you're trying to select the content in this window. This dialog is simply meant to create the image and once this is done, you save the content to the mounted image (it will look like a disk on the Desktop).

OP
B
Reaction score
It would seem as though you're trying to select the content in this window. This dialog is simply meant to create the image and once this is done, you save the content to the mounted image (it will look like a disk on the Desktop).

Yeah, but when all of that comes up, there are several files that look like the very hard drives and discs of my computer, and an open window... I go to select from desktop, and all what I want is grayed out... in other words there is NO WAY to do what you are saying... unless I am missing something...

You would literally have to describe it step by step... I am that dense!

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not really sure how to describe it any other way.

What happens when you push the "New Image" title bar option (seventh from the left)? Once you do that, what happens when you change "Format" to exFAT, "Image Format" to DVD/CD master and the size to whatever you need it to be?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to describe it any other way.

What happens when you push the "New Image" title bar option (seventh from the left)? Once you do that, what happens when you change "Format" to exFAT, "Image Format" to DVD/CD master and the size to whatever you need it to be?

I can do all of that okay... but in my side window, I only have six things (and a grayed out FLASH DRIVE PLAYER)...

Macintosh HD, twice, and these two icons are above the black divider bar

below the black divider line is:

a GIMP 2-8 Maverick thing .dmg, a google chrome .dmg, and some dectrypted file.dmg, or other...

NOTHING ELSE. My movie.dv on the desk top will not drop and drag to that "select a disk, volume, or image" window area...

So my choices are LIMITED to what is in the window, none of which is my movie which can not be dropped and dragged there, either...

VERIFY brings up nothing useful, either... if I could send you a photo screen grab of what I am seeing, it would be easier...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yeah, but when all of that comes up, there are several files that look like the very hard drives and discs of my computer, and an open window... I go to select from desktop, and all what I want is grayed out... in other words there is NO WAY to do what you are saying... unless I am missing something...
Yes, you are missing something.

Don't worry about selecting anything in that dialogue box. Just choose the format, size and image format and click on Create. An empty Disk Image will be created and appear below the divider line. If it doesn't automatically mount on the Desktop and open a Finder window, then just double click on it.

Drag and drop your .dv file into the window and then eject it from the Desktop and then do what you wish with the image.

However, when whoever you send it to opens the image, all they will see will be a .dv file(as far as I can see).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to drag your video into this window. You need to create the ISO first and once it's made, drag the files to it. Ignore the Disk Utility window - only use it to create the ISO image (as per my steps in the last post I made). Once that image is made, double click it in Finder (wherever you stored it) and the drag your files to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.