PDA

View Full Version : New site format

MacInWin
08-12-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't like it. That is all.

chscag
08-12-2015, 02:01 PM
RTC = Resistance to change? C'mon Jake, give it a chance.

MacInWin
08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
It seems buggy. When I posted the reply, I had a lot of missing symbols with that "we can't find it" symbol. I just don't like the layout. I'm not RTC, but this is not an improvement. Looks like the old URLs back in the 90's.

chscag
08-12-2015, 02:19 PM
The format is new. Bryan, myself, and other Mods are in communication with the folks who are responsible for development of the new look. Some of the glitches have already been passed on and we will continue to evaluate and make suggestions. We just need to be patient with the new format and give it a chance. I personally like it.

lclev
08-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I am too old for this!!!! But, because I am a sweet and charming person who never complains (my boss is NOT in the room), I will adapt, assimilate, conform - sigh..... ;P Initially, I thought my browser was broke! :Blushing:

Lisa

Edit: When I click on "My Post" it only shows the threads I actually started. Is this permanent or am I missing where to look for ones I posted to?

cradom
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Scared hell out of me when I first got here. Thought I'd ended up on a PC site.
Don't care for it, but don't think my opinion will change anything.
Carry on.

MacInWin
08-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I kind of reminds me of a BBS system I ran back in the late '80's. All white, very bare, minimalist. If you like that sort of plainness, it'll be good. Oh, well, like Craig, I doubt my opinion will change anything either.

dtravis7
08-12-2015, 04:32 PM
It reminds me of Yosemite! :D Grin

I will get used to it like I did with Yosemite though! Just have to figure out where everything is.

Jake, I ran Renegade BBS from 1992 till into early 2000. I made all menus and screens and worked hard on them. It was very custom and looked different than most BBS's back then.

dtravis7
08-12-2015, 04:35 PM
OOps, someone mentioned My Posts. Yes, it's only showing the threads I started and not those I replied in. That I GREATLY miss. Made it easier to find my posts and help people.

MacInWin
08-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Possible bug: Forum tools and Thread Tools, the boxes appear but no writing them. They show up as my mouse rolls over them, then if I depart to the side, they stay visible. Disappear again if I enter from the top. Yosemite 10.10.4, Safari 8.0.7. I am using Ghostery but no difference with it turned on or off, so the function is in the site, methinks.

SoftWareRevue
08-12-2015, 05:12 PM
I am too old for this!!!! But, because I am a sweet and charming person who never complains (my boss is NOT in the room), I will adapt, assimilate, conform - sigh..... ;P Initially, I thought my browser was broke! :Blushing:

Lisa

Edit: When I click on "My Post" it only shows the threads I actually started. Is this permanent or am I missing where to look for ones I posted to?

OOps, someone mentioned My Posts. Yes, it's only showing the threads I started and not those I replied in. That I GREATLY miss. Made it easier to find my posts and help people.

Counters are/were still updating. I think once it has all the info, it should work fine.

SoftWareRevue
08-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Possible bug: Forum tools and Thread Tools, the boxes appear but no writing them. They show up as my mouse rolls over them, then if I depart to the side, they stay visible. Disappear again if I enter from the top. Yosemite 10.10.4, Safari 8.0.7. I am using Ghostery but no difference with it turned on or off, so the function is in the site, methinks.
Same thing in Chrome. I'll pass it on to dev. Thanks!

pm-r
08-12-2015, 05:32 PM
I gather this is why I couldn't connect for ages earlier today.

I finally ended up posting such on your Facebook page which I have since deleted. But I don't know if any mods or admins even look at it.

This is all I could get this morning: (Now let's see if this new attachment thing works any better…)

IWT
08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Well, like it or not, all things move on and we must move on with them.

I'll get used to it; in the meantime where has the reputation icon gone?

Ian

harryb2448
08-12-2015, 06:51 PM
We MAY get used to it but for goodness sake install a 'Get New' and 'Search' box. It is woeful.

RadDave
08-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this thread is the place to report 'bugs', comments, suggestions, etc.? But for me, one annoyance in the new forum software relates to putting URLs in a post - previously, an URL was pasted into the appropriate dialog box and the same URL was placed between the HTML tags and highlighted which allowed easy replacement w/ a shortened and clearer phrase - now, the cursor ends up at the end of the second URL tag as shown in the image below (arrow) - in the past, the repeat URL in the 'blue box' would be highlighted - I'm sure this could easily be changed - a feature that I liked. Dave :)

cradom
08-12-2015, 07:34 PM

It's here:

chscag
08-12-2015, 07:45 PM
We MAY get used to it but for goodness sake install a 'Get New' and 'Search' box. It is woeful.

They're both still available Harry. You need to look a bit harder. And by the way, look for email from me to you. ;D

pm-r
08-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Well, like it or not, all things move on and we must move on with them.

Ian

That has the sound of Apple to it with a new OS. ;P

Rod Sprague
08-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Great scott! I would hate to think that my recent comments on the difficulty many people had locating the thumbs up button were entirely responsible for this dramatic change. What a surprise, I was looking at a post on the mobile app and decided to comment on MBP and, POW! A whole new look. Haven't noticed any bugs yet but I agree with dtravis7, the mobile app still has the "subscribed" list but "My Posts" on this site only has the ones I started. Wait! While writing this I clicked on Quick Navigation>"Community Suggestions and Feedback" and found Subscriptions in that menu.
As for the look, well, it's different.
I'm going to press the Subscriptions button now and see what happens.

Rod Sprague
08-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Thats it! Subscriptions include all posts I have contributed to but it's a bit "buggy." When you click on the menu it opens with two headings, Site Areas and Forums but the rest of the menu is blank, it's not until you move the cursor off the list that the subheadings populate the list. Other than that it works fine for subscriptions havent tried any other sub headings yet. Is everybody else getting the same results?

Rod Sprague
08-12-2015, 10:19 PM
If this is the right spot (post) to be making comments I notice the links to social media sites (top left) to Google+ Facebook and Twitter dont work properly. Not a big deal to me but if they are there then i suppose they should work:
I like the Additional Options box at the bottom of the Reply to Thread box though however the Topic Review box at the bottom is well.... I guess I'll get used to it. Are the changes global or thread specific?

Rod Sprague
08-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. The posts I have contributed to today now appear in My Posts. Earlier ones are in Subscriptions as mentioned.
Anyway I think I like the design in general. It will take a bit of getting used to but I like some of the new features, thats why I started using Opera as my default browser instead of Chrome. I like change, but it has to be an improvement not just change for change sake so sorry to harp but the reputation button is now even smaller than it was before, albeit in a better position.

Rod Sprague
08-12-2015, 11:48 PM

I agree with that. One thing I may as well mention; when you do a search, like I did today for a current post called Apple ID I get 12 pages of results but the dates are all over the place. One page 1 there are results from 2010, 2013 etc. Why cant they be in order of date so the most recent would be on the top?

chscag
08-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Rod: Like I told Harry above, "New Posts" and "Forum Search" are still there. You just need to get used to the new layout.

Slydude
08-13-2015, 12:37 AM
@Charlie Are you having issues using certain links? I mentioned the send PM links not showing in another thread. I am also having issues with the thread tools link. If I click on the "Thread Tools" link above and leave my mouse there the drop down appears but looks blank. If I click "Thread Tools" but slide the mouse off of the link the drop down menu appears with the links in place as they should be.

chscag
08-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Yeah, same here. I notice though that if you move the cursor a bit, it appears very lightly.

As to the PM problem... it's my fault for not looking down far enough on the page to where it shows a "send". For some reason, I was trying to send it from the top menu and each time I clicked it took me away from the page. The only other thing I'm still trying to see if it's available is the "moderated posts" and "moderated threads" options. Those two options were at the top of the page (moderators only) and made it easy to see which threads or posts needed to be approved or removed. Looks like that's no longer available or has moved somewhere that I haven't discovered yet.

Lifeisabeach
08-13-2015, 12:54 AM
I was about to post a gripe about losing the "old" skin, which I've been using since the "new" one was implemented a couple years ago, then realized this isn't that new one, but another new one. I see that a couple of the issues I had with the, uh, previous new one are addressed, chiefly the over-abundance of white space and near-lack of visual cues separating one post from the next in a thread. Very nicely done! There are some glaring issues, like when I hover over the page numbers of a multi-page thread, they all disappear except for the page number I'm on. I also continue to strongly dislike the overuse of the color red for some elements like thread titles. It's just too much and screams "this is high priority!!!!" I also think the font size could be a tad larger, but that might be more due to my aging eyes. Overall I don't dislike this nearly as much as I did the last skin, which basically means I'll adapt and take to it soon enough once I get used to it. :D

Slydude
08-13-2015, 12:57 AM
@Charlie I deliberately went looking for that after I read your post. I haven't found those options either. Hopefully that will come back. I find it very helpful.

@LB The look is starting to grow on me a bit. I share your thoughts about the amount of red though.

Other than the problem I mentioned with links, things seem to be working well and might even be faster than the previous version.

MacInWin
08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Another bug? I just posted here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/switcher-hangout/324463-cant-empty-trash-2.html

and it double posted. Then when I went to edit the second post, I got an endlessly spinning spinner. Eventually I gave up and shut down Safari, restarted and the spinner was gone. The double post is still there, still can't edit, still get endless spinner until I restart Safari.

MacInWin
08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Another bug? I just posted here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/switcher-hangout/324463-cant-empty-trash-2.html

and it double posted. Then when I went to edit the second post, I got an endlessly spinning spinner. Eventually I gave up and shut down Safari, restarted and the spinner was gone. The double post is still there, still can't edit, still get endless spinner until I restart Safari.

MacInWin
08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
And now another double post. Something is seriously strange here.

cradom
08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Just curious...not dissing the new look (this time), but is this supposed to be better somehow? Or was this changing things just to be changing things?
If better, exactly what is better? I can tell you what's worse, but that's another subject.

Spellbinder
08-13-2015, 01:16 PM
I have no issue with the new look. Seems fine. But as cradom noted, I can't really find anything "better" that would have necessitated the change.

I do, however, miss the Mac specs below the user's avatar.

pm-r
08-13-2015, 01:37 PM
I was about to post a gripe about losing the "old" skin, which I've been using since the "new" one was implemented a couple years ago, then realized this isn't that new one, but another new one. I see that a couple of the issues I had with the, uh, previous new one are addressed, chiefly the over-abundance of white space and near-lack of visual cues separating one post from the next in a thread. Very nicely done! There are some glaring issues, like when I hover over the page numbers of a multi-page thread, they all disappear except for the page number I'm on. I also continue to strongly dislike the overuse of the color red for some elements like thread titles. It's just too much and screams "this is high priority!!!!" I also think the font size could be a tad larger, but that might be more due to my aging eyes. Overall I don't dislike this nearly as much as I did the last skin, which basically means I'll adapt and take to it soon enough once I get used to it. :D

Added Bold mine above, I also think the font size could be a tad larger, as could the text size for the Pages and page numbers, and the reply box could sure be larger, all like they used to be.

Just wondering what all the, ahem… "improvements" were for, that didn't really seem to improve anything. Hmmm….???

chscag
08-13-2015, 03:37 PM
You can always increase the font size from your browser so that should not be a problem. Safari allows it by using a "CSS" file such as this one:

body {
zoom: 150%;
}

Both Chrome and Firefox will set the font larger if you wish. And the improvements in my opinion are improvements. Like anything else that's new, you have to get used to it by using it. Keep a positive attitude... We are not saying that you can't criticize and suggest improvements, however, having a negative attitude accomplishes nothing.

McBie
08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Everything should be as simple as possible but not one bit simpler.

I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I fail to see how this new layout is better ( read .... more efficient ) than the previous one.
I am not a fan to be honest. :-)

Cheers ... McBie

pm-r
08-13-2015, 06:25 PM
You can always increase the font size from your browser so that should not be a problem. Safari allows it by using a "CSS" file such as this one:

body {
}

Both Chrome and Firefox will set the font larger if you wish. And the improvements in my opinion are improvements. Like anything else that's new, you have to get used to it by using it. Keep a positive attitude... We are not saying that you can't criticize and suggest improvements, however, having a negative attitude accomplishes nothing.

Yeah, I can always do that and I guess I'll have to do something but I don't see that as an improvement, and it seems that having any attitude, positive or negative, won't easily change anything.

PS: And here I was thinking that I was also suggesting an improvement and didn't realize it was a "negative attitude". Oh well...

chscag
08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
and it seems that having any attitude, positive or negative, won't easily change anything.

Maybe not, but it might make you feel better. :P

cradom
08-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Ok, I just read the Terms of Service from whoever this Penton is and I'm seriously considering whether I want to stay here or not.
I think definitely I'm making a trip to PayPal and cancelling premium membership payments.
Nothing against the people here, this was a nice place to hang out.

chscag
08-13-2015, 06:51 PM
I do, however, miss the Mac specs below the user's avatar.

Have you looked below your Avatar lately? ;D

chscag
08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Ok, I just read the Terms of Service from whoever this Penton is and I'm seriously considering whether I want to stay here or not.

What kind of difficulty are you having with their terms of service?

lclev
08-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Well the new reputation icon is a thumbs up on the lower left corner - right next to the report post icon. Will have to change my signature. :\ At least they added emoticons in the quick post area.

Lisa

toMACsh
08-13-2015, 08:28 PM
The appearance of this "new look" is basically changing the fonts and the icons. It's not drastically different. Some things, apparently, are in new places; must be things I don't use. It really isn't a big change, so I can't say it's better or worse, just slightly different.

Lifeisabeach
08-13-2015, 10:10 PM
What kind of difficulty are you having with their terms of service?

I'm not crazy about either. In fact I'm more than a little irritated. Here's a choice quote from their privacy policy (http://www.penton.com/privacy-policy):

Once you have registered or otherwise interacted with us, we create a profile for you. We keep your profile up to date by adding information about your registrations or subscriptions, the events you attend, the content you access, how you interact with our offerings, and the like. In order to offer you a more consistent and personalized experience in your interactions with us, information collected through one Penton Service may be combined with information obtained through other Penton Services.
We also may receive information about you from external sources that are not affiliated with Penton and add that to the information you have provided to us. For example, we may expand our communities by acquiring names and contact details from other sources that compile contact information. This information might be public information or data you provided to others with authorizations to share it with third parties.

i don't care for the idea of being tracked across websites, no matter how benevolent it may be. What I do outside of this forum is no one's blasted business. As for their terms of service (http://www.penton.com/terms-of-service/), there's plenty of language there basically saying they own what we post and can re-use as they like along with our profile details. It's not entirely unreasonable, after all what we post is effectively a matter of public record, though the idea that they own what I contribute of my own free will and my own free time is rather repulsive. Their terms do imply they can use my profile and contributions to promote services and products without my consent, even though I may not even personally approve of those products and services:

4.3 You hereby grant to Penton and its designees, an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, freely sub-licensable and transferable, fully paid-up, royalty-free license and right (but not the obligation) to (i) Use your Posts (including the ideas embodied therein) and (ii) use your name, user/log-in name, likeness, biographic and other profile information about you in connection with any use of your Posts, in each case without payment or other additional consideration of any kind, or permission or notification, to you or any third party, and without crediting you. “Use” means, without limitation, the irrevocable right to publish, copy, reproduce, prepare derivative works, combine with other works, alter, translate, distribute copies, display, perform, license or otherwise use or exploit your Posts, or portions thereof, alone or with other material, with or without revisions, without notice and without obligation, payment, accounting, or other reference or attribution to you or any other person or entity, in the name of Penton or its designees throughout the world in perpetuity in any and all media now or hereafter known and for any purpose, without obtaining further permission from you or any other person or entity.

Anyone recall getting email promotions a couple years ago from the former owner touting, what was it, CleanMyMac, despite the community at large frowning on it? I foresee much more stuff like that and worse coming.

chscag
08-13-2015, 11:11 PM
I agree that the legalese in their terms of service sounds a bit overboard. However, I wonder how different it is from Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks who also have terms of service that you must agree to before joining?

Spellbinder
08-14-2015, 01:44 AM
Have you looked below your Avatar lately? ;D
NICE! Glad to see the specs back!

Lifeisabeach
08-14-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't see a link anywhere to the User Control Panel. It's the page that shows unread replies to subscribed threads. I could only find it because that's the page I have bookmarked for the site. Also, it seems that clicking the title of a multi-page discussion used to automatically take me to the first unread reply in that discussion. Not so now, which is a bit inconvenient.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/usercp.php

Comments are also missing on reputation feedback.

Lifeisabeach
08-14-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't see a link anywhere to the User Control Panel. It's the page that shows unread replies to subscribed threads. I could only find it because that's the page I have bookmarked for the site. Also, it seems that clicking the title of a multi-page discussion used to automatically take me to the first unread reply in that discussion. Not so now, which is a bit inconvenient.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/usercp.php

Comments are also missing on reputation feedback.

body {
}

The site looks REALLY good on my iPad. Better than the app actually for the most part. I think the font perception is due to my eyes. I periodically go through episodes where I NEED to wear reading glasses and I've been going through that this week. (EDIT: Still hate the use of the color "red" for thread titles. Seriously guys, it's hideous and making my eyes bleed).

EDIT: Well well... it appears that when you edit a post, it pops up as a new post and the original stays. If so, this should be #3 with this edit.

EDIT: Nope... still just 2.

Lifeisabeach
08-14-2015, 11:29 AM
More food for thought.... consider how Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com) does this. Their article titles are black and in a larger font than the other elements to help them stand apart, but the color changes to orange when you hover your mouse over the title. That works REALLY well and I like that better than what happens here, with the font just going to a darker red with an underline (the underline actually makes it a tad harder to read, at least in this color).

EDIT: also note that they use a serif font for the titles, which is probably easier to read in that larger size than sans serif. Much like "red" is a thematic color here, "orange" is theirs, but they don't overuse it.

Lifeisabeach
08-14-2015, 11:50 AM
I agree that the legalese in their terms of service sounds a bit overboard. However, I wonder how different it is from Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks who also have terms of service that you must agree to before joining?

Facebook has some privacy issues for sure, and I restrict my privacy settings as much as I can and limit what's in my public profile and avoid "liking" products and companies because it just gives them access to my profile and those of my friends (which I think is ridiculous, but whaddya do?). I'd ditch them if not for the fact everyone I know is on there and it's easy to keep up with things.

That said, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms) doesn't claim ownership of what you post.

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy (https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy) and application settings (https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=applications).

Neither does Ars Technica's parent company, Condé Nast (http://www.condenast.com/privacy-policy), though they reserve the right to re-use it.

Except as expressly provided otherwise in the Agreement, you or the owner of any Content you post, upload, transmit, send or otherwise make available on or through the Service retains ownership of all rights, title, and interests in such Content.

lclev
08-14-2015, 12:52 PM
So Penton bought out iNet and as a result we got there terms of use and privacy policy along with it. I admit I had never read the iNet policies. I guess until it was pointed out, I "assumed" our content and information stayed on the site. I "assumed" incorrectly.

I have now read all the terms of use and privacy policy on the Peyton site. What a sad commentary on our world that they feel the need to write that long list of conditions and rights. It basically says they have all the rights to do what ever they want with our posts and profile information. They can do what ever they want with any content our post provides including editing it, moving all or parts of it to other sites - and include our information with it, or repackage it to their needs. While I knew and assumed the admins and mods would and could move and edit posts. I assumed content would stay on the site. With these new terms of use, it says not.

I am sure this is all because there has been people come after sites for editing a post or moving it. Plus I am sure there is a marketing/money making trail going on here. If they connect your profile to Facebook or something like it, money is probably involved. And granted, running a site like this cost money and I am sure those of us who contribute are not in high enough numbers to pay for the upkeep.

While I can see why they do it, I don't like it. Not only giving up the post content but allowing them to use your profile content on this site and any other they can link you to - and their terms say you agree to that just by using the site. I realize this is probably not unique to this company and if I read all the ones for other site I visit, their policies would say the same. I guess I am not sure how I feel about this extensive invasion of privacy. I know that what I post is all public but I don't like giving a company the option to move my posts content, combine it, use my profile info with it......etc.....

This is the only forum I have ever posted extensively on. I very rarely post on Facebook, never more than a one or two word reply and never opinion statements. I only keep the account because I can see the newest pictures of my grandkids. I doubt I have posted a dozen comments on a hand full of sites in my internet life. A big part of the reason has been an unwillingness to give up at least a semblance of privacy.

If you get bored or feel the need you can read their terms of service (http://www.penton.com/terms-of-service/) and privacy policy (http://www.penton.com/privacy-policy) and draw your own conclusions.

I will probably stay because I do like the people here and truthfully, I believe their policies are consistent with what is common on the internet. Also how much of the policy is "CYA" speak versus they will follow through is up for debate.

On a side note: I miss the “Newest Posts and What is hot” box that use to be on the opening forum page. Change….sigh….

Lisa

chscag
08-14-2015, 02:45 PM
@Lisa:

The new owners are not "Peyton" (Peyton Place on your mind?), they're "Penton". O:)

pm-r
08-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Sorry to sound so dense, but could someone tell me what the blue "+ Reply to Thread" button at the bottom left of the page does or is for??

As the black "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" icon/buttons would seem to be adequate and seem self explanatory for an existing post.

And please chscag, don't just suggest I'm being negative. I'm not and it's a legit question and I didn't notice/recall it before. Thanks.

chscag
08-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Don't worry, I'll let you know if you're going south... ;D It is a legitimate question. When I hover over the black "Reply" it responds with "Quick reply to this message", but when I select the blue "+ Reply to Thread" it comes back with the blank dialog which says "Quick Reply". Confusing isn't it? So to answer your question... I don't know why we have two places to select a reply when it appears both do the same thing. Maybe it's a convenience thing?

pigoo3
08-14-2015, 03:18 PM
On a side note: I miss the “Newest Posts and What is hot” box that use to be on the opening forum page. Change….sigh….

Hopefully you found the "New Posts" clickable link in the upper left corner area of each page (within the gray bar). I use this quite a bit.:)

- Nick

pm-r
08-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Don't worry, I'll let you know if you're going south... ;D It is a legitimate question. When I hover over the black "Reply" it responds with "Quick reply to this message", but when I select the blue "+ Reply to Thread" it comes back with the blank dialog which says "Quick Reply". Confusing isn't it? So to answer your question... I don't know why we have two places to select a reply when it appears both do the same thing. Maybe it's a convenience thing?

Thanks, and yes it is rather confusing. But a "convenience thing?", hmmm…????... you're trying to make a joke right. I can tell. ;) :) :D

lclev
08-14-2015, 04:26 PM
@Lisa:

The new owners are not "Peyton" (Peyton Place on your mind?), they're "Penton". O:)

Just a slip of the fingers. :* Actually what does it say when we remember and know what Peyton place was? Hummmm...

Another interesting thing. I just had to wait as the site was down for a bit it seems. I ACTUALLY HAD TO DO HOUSE WORK! I even added a second coat of antique oil to my kitchen cabinets! Not good not good at all - I am not a domestic goddess - nope not me! O:)

Lisa

lclev
08-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Hopefully you found the "New Posts" clickable link in the upper left corner area of each page (within the gray bar). I use this quite a bit.:)

- Nick

Yes, I use it too. I just like the quick glance feature.

Lisa

chscag
08-14-2015, 07:45 PM
It does look like the site was down for awhile. I got the same data base error message you did. Hopefully it was because it was being worked on.

dtravis7
08-14-2015, 08:19 PM
No Peyton Place? I am sad! :D Grin

MacInWin
08-14-2015, 08:50 PM
I seem to recall that on the old site the Forums were in bold if there was a thread in it with an unread post. That made it easy to see what forums had changed since you last looked. Now I don't see any visible difference (maybe it's subtle and I'm missing it) between forums with new posts and forums without. Anybody got a hint of what the secret signal is?

pm-r
08-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Have you tried refreshing whatever page view you're using???

The already read or looked at page should be in un-bolded and lighter text unless the thread was updated since your last visit. Sorta I think… ;)

nancyspeed
08-15-2015, 12:54 AM
And here I was blaming my new Macbook Pro and Yosemite. Glad to know the changes were real.

MacInWin
08-15-2015, 02:26 AM
Have you tried refreshing whatever page view you're using???

The already read or looked at page should be in un-bolded and lighter text unless the thread was updated since your last visit. Sorta I think… ;)That works within the forums and threads, but not on the page that shows all the forums. It used to be that way on the old site at that highest level, but not any more. There may be a difference, but if so, it's very subtle and I can't see it. And if it's that subtle, it's useless.

I still don't like the new site format. Not all change is good.

IWT
08-15-2015, 04:51 AM
I don't mean this as an impertinent question, but I've always wondered what the difference was between an administrator and a moderator in hierarchical terms - and what they do. Work jolly hard, for sure and post like mad; no doubt support the Forums in many ways. If time permits and the question is not intrusive, can one of you admins/mods give me an insight into your respective roles?

Ian

vansmith
08-15-2015, 10:15 AM
It's mostly behind the scenes stuff that has less to do with the day to day operation of the forum. I also get a fancier throne to sit on. ;)

pm-r
08-15-2015, 12:29 PM
It's mostly behind the scenes stuff that has less to do with the day to day operation of the forum. I also get a fancier throne to sit on. ;)

Being a Canadian Administrator, I guess they also devalued your position by almost 30% as well, which could be quite a blow, even if you do get one of the fancier chairs. ;)

dtravis7
08-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Mostly my job is finding Spam posts and getting rid of them and the users spamming the forums. Also approving posts and checking on posts users report to us as being bad.

macgig
08-15-2015, 09:34 PM
yep. its ok. just liked the previous version. Im getting OLDer, change is tough for me. but sooner or later change happens. its the one thing in life you can count on.

RTC = Resistance to change? .

Rod Sprague
08-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Whats the old saying? "The only thing you can rely on is change." A couple of weeks ago I suggested that the "Thumbs Up" icon could be made a little more obvious, this was in response to an OP who had said she would thumbs up us as soon as she could find the button and I posted this only to find the whole page layout changed a few days later and although the thumbs up icon has moved it's still kinda small. No doubt there are still more bugs in the site but not enough to make me abandon it.(Cradom) Personally I find it refreshingly challenging to work out the new options and layout, just like a new browser or shifting from iPhoto to Photos.

Slydude
08-15-2015, 10:45 PM
:DYou neglected to mention the practice you get in techniques euphemistically referred to as "staff management".

pm-r
08-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Whats the old saying? "The only thing you can rely on is change." A couple of weeks ago I suggested that the "Thumbs Up" icon could be made a little more obvious, this was in response to an OP who had said she would thumbs up us as soon as she could find the button and I posted this only to find the whole page layout changed a few days later and although the thumbs up icon has moved it's still kinda small. No doubt there are still more bugs in the site but not enough to make me abandon it.(Cradom) Personally I find it refreshingly challenging to work out the new options and layout, just like a new browser or shifting from iPhoto to Photos.

Just in case the website boss can't find a decent "thumbs-up" icon to use, 'cause even the new improved one is pathetic and just sucks to be polite, try these sites and they should find one that works:
Thumbs up Icons - 40 free vector icons (http://www.flaticon.com/free-icons/thumbs-up_96874)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=thumbs+up+icon&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCO_aw8zDrMcCFRV9iAodYokDig

vansmith
08-15-2015, 11:25 PM
:DYou neglected to mention the practice you get in techniques euphemistically referred to as "staff management".That's a rather small part of my work Some staff members, though, require a little more managing. ;)

Just in case the website boss can't find a decent "thumbs-up" icon to use, 'cause even the new improved one is pathetic and just sucks to be polite, try these sites and they should find one that works:
Thumbs up Icons - 40 free vector icons (http://www.flaticon.com/free-icons/thumbs-up_96874)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=thumbs+up+icon&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCO_aw8zDrMcCFRV9iAodYokDigMaybe I'll aesthetically inept but I don't really see how those icons are leagues better than what is available here. What's wrong with the one here?

Slydude
08-15-2015, 11:33 PM
That's a rather small part of my work Some staff members, though, require a little more managing. ;)

I would volunteer to have a chat with the gent in question but he appears to be a rather incorrigible fellow. I doubt a chat will do much good.:D

Lifeisabeach
08-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Maybe I'll aesthetically inept but I don't really see how those icons are leagues better than what is available here. What's wrong with the one here?

I was thinking the same thing as pm-r here. The problem with the "thumb-up" icon is that it looks more like some unidentifiable amorphous blob. Actually this is a problem with a lot of the smaller graphical elements. Take a close look at the "bubble with quote marks" icons at the bottom of each post. They are fuzzy AND jagged even on my iPad Air 2. When you zoom in, they look even worse.

MacInWin
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Having used it for a few days, here are some things that have made the site worse than it was before. (No, chscag, this is not "Resistance to Change," these are REAL steps backwards.)

1. The Forums page no longer shows which forums have new posts. It used to, now it doesn't. To see if a forum has new posts you have to open it to see if there are any bolded thread titles. Yes, I know the New Posts function is there, but that shows ALL new posts, even in threads about which I care nothing. Why did they take away functionality? It doesn't cost anything to have a signal on the Forums page like they used to have.
2. The "View First Unread" has been moved to the right side of the screen, where is used to be on the left. Why is this a backwards step? Because when you open a thread you click on the thread title, which generally is on the left. On the old (and better) website the "View First Unread" was then on the left, very nearly where the mouse pointer ended up after the click on the thread title. That proximity meant that your mouse movement to get to that prompt was very sort. Now I have to cross the screen to the other side to get to the same function. It's not a "killer" fault but it is certainly not an improvement and the change was totally unnecessary. Change for change sake is not a good thing. I was a in software design and the key to good design is to make interface changes IF and ONLY IF they improve productivity. Never, ever, make a change that makes productivity worse. Ever.

vansmith
08-16-2015, 11:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing as pm-r here. The problem with the "thumb-up" icon is that it looks more like some unidentifiable amorphous blob. Actually this is a problem with a lot of the smaller graphical elements. Take a close look at the "bubble with quote marks" icons at the bottom of each post. They are fuzzy AND jagged even on my iPad Air 2. When you zoom in, they look even worse.Fair enough. I suppose it's doesn't bother me (again, aesthetic ineptitude...) but I can see how that might be frustrating, especially on high-res devices.

cwa107
08-16-2015, 11:56 AM
FWIW, the new forum design reminds me a lot of the old forum skin before they re-did it. And folks were adamant that they would never use the new skin. Now they want that look back, LOL... ;)

bobtomay
08-16-2015, 12:03 PM
First off, the vBulletin software was updated with the skin - many of the changes under discussion are changes in the underlying vBulletin software that runs the forum as opposed to the skin.

The Forums main page has an indicator based on the same thing it always has - whether there are read or unread posts in a forum - shown by the icon turning from blue to gray if you have read (or marked as read) all items in that forum.

I agree with some of the changes just moving stuff from the right side to the left or left side to the right being sort of change for changes sake.
I hadn't even been able to find the 'View First Unread' link anywherefrom inside a thread and had assumed it was removed altogether.
Thanks for the heads up on the location.
I had to go hunt down a forum with multiple pages that I had not seen nor marked as read to find it.
That one I sort of understand moving it to the same location as all the other "Thread" options that are available.

edit:
Does sort of look like the one from several years back. Personally, red is my favorite color, so I like it. Can see where others might find it a bit too much though. I do like that the create a new thread box has been removed from the top of every single page of the forum that was there with the last default new user skin.

chscag
08-16-2015, 01:04 PM
1. The Forums page no longer shows which forums have new posts. It used to, now it doesn't. To see if a forum has new posts you have to open it to see if there are any bolded thread titles. Yes, I know the New Posts function is there, but that shows ALL new posts, even in threads about which I care nothing. Why did they take away functionality? It doesn't cost anything to have a signal on the Forums page like they used to have.

Maybe I'm not thinking about the same thing you are, but Forums that have unread posts or new posts are shaded a different color than those that do not. Granted, the shading is not that noticeable and I had to look closely to see it, but it's there.

Lifeisabeach
08-16-2015, 01:07 PM
FWIW, the new forum design reminds me a lot of the old forum skin before they re-did it. And folks were adamant that they would never use the new skin. Now they want that look back, LOL... ;)

I utterly despised the previous skin and stuck with the old one. I think this current one is a balance of the two, and mostly for the good. There are some tweaks that still need to be done, but other than the overuse of red fonts, it's more to my liking.

pm-r
08-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Could someone please guide this old senior dummy to find out how to decode what the different envelope icon and colors actually mean??

I did figure out the the Green circle w/ white backward arrow means I've replied or done something...

i.e.:

chscag
08-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Pretty good observation for a "senior". (I'm as senior as you are, by the way.)

The green circle with backward arrow means you have participated in that thread. I'm still trying to figure out the other icon colors and their meaning. ;P

MacInWin
08-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Maybe I'm not thinking about the same thing you are, but Forums that have unread posts or new posts are shaded a different color than those that do not. Granted, the shading is not that noticeable and I had to look closely to see it, but it's there.But can you tell us why in the world anybody thought it would be better to make it so subtle that you and I have to look closely to see it? That's an improvement????? Did they bother to test this crap before it was deployed? Ten minutes in any reasonable person's hands and these "features" should have been fixed.

EDIT: I still see no difference in icons on the Forums page. Too subtle for me.

pm-r
08-16-2015, 11:30 PM
Pretty good observation for a "senior". (I'm as senior as you are, by the way.)

The green circle with backward arrow means you have participated in that thread. I'm still trying to figure out the other icon colors and their meaning. ;P

Wow!! I didn't think you'd hit the 74's as well.

But I'm a bit astounded that an Admin doesn't know what the colored message icons represent, and that makes me feel less like a dummy!!! ;)

PS: Neither can I tell the color difference in the subjects some seem to be alluding to.

PPS and OT: Is that a B-17 Fortress you have as an avatar? We currently have one visiting our local airport and my uncle crewed on one in the RCAF during WW II.

chscag
08-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Is that a B-17 Fortress you have as an avatar? We currently have one visiting our local airport and my uncle crewed on one in the RCAF during WW II.

No, it's a Douglas B-26D which was used in the later part of WW II, the Korean War, and the first few years of the Viet Nam War. When I first entered the USAF (eons ago) I was assigned as a crew chief on that type of airplane. Later on I trained in electronics and spent the remainder of my career in that field.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 02:21 AM
I just posted a topic on MacRumors Forum (shhh!), they too have a new updated site, still like this one better.

chscag
08-17-2015, 04:07 AM
But I'm a bit astounded that an Admin doesn't know what the colored message icons represent, and that makes me feel less like a dummy!!!

Click on the forum but don't select a topic. Now look at the bottom of the page where it says "Icon Legend". That should explain it all; not easy to find but it's there. We just need to get used to the new layout. ;D

Raz0rEdge
08-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Could someone please guide this old senior dummy to find out how to decode what the different envelope icon and colors actually mean??

I did figure out the the Green circle w/ white backward arrow means I've replied or done something...

i.e.:

I think we've all figured out the little green icon on the envelope. The difference between the gray and the brown'ish envelope colors is driven by how many posts are in that thread. One a thread gets a number of posts, it turns that brown'ish color to say its "hot"..;)

I've seen other forums use a fire symbol for the same purpose.

Coincidentally, with all the talk about the icons, placement of links and so on, no one seems to have mentioned or appreciated the little auto save function in the Quick Reply box now. This should avoid the accidental removal of your reply if you hit something by mistake..

RadDave
08-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Click on the forum but don't select a topic. Now look at the bottom of the page where it says "Icon Legend". That should explain it all; not easy to find but it's there. We just need to get used to the new layout. ;D

Thanks Chscag - I clicked on the OS X sub-forum and looked @ the 'icon legend' as shown below - kind of what I expected, but the colors seem rather faded (like pastels) - Dave :)

pm-r
08-17-2015, 01:27 PM
I think we've all figured out the little green icon on the envelope. The difference between the gray and the brown'ish envelope colors is driven by how many posts are in that thread. One a thread gets a number of posts, it turns that brown'ish color to say its "hot"..;)

I've seen other forums use a fire symbol for the same purpose.

Coincidentally, with all the talk about the icons, placement of links and so on, no one seems to have mentioned or appreciated the little auto save function in the Quick Reply box now. This should avoid the accidental removal of your reply if you hit something by mistake..

Thanks for the bits of info.

I was just replying to a different post and the yellow "Auto Save" appeared and disappeared just above the bottom-right corner of the window re-size hashmarks, and just like the appearing/disappearing Cheshire Cat, neither of which I'd noticed before.

But how would one reclaim the "auto save" if needed and where does it actually go or get "Saved" to???

PS: A handy feature I'm sure, and I'll bet I'm not the only one to have lost their reply dissertation. ;)

lclev
08-17-2015, 03:40 PM
I notice the autosave feature to. And given the number of times I have typed out some amazingly inspired posts only to have: 1. my internet go down (I live in rural America where sunlight is piped in), 2. clicked a link that did NOT open a new page so I lost what I had typed or 3. got distracted and closed the lid to go do something else and things expired so post was lost, this autosave could be a good thing for someone like me. O:)

I haven't figured out how it all works but I did get a popup when I tried to leave a page. I had started a post and it warned me I had not posted my reply. For someone prone to get distracted, this is a good thing. :)

Lisa

IWT
08-17-2015, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=RadDave;1673218]Thanks Chscag - I clicked on the OS X sub-forum and looked @ the 'icon legend' as shown below - kind of what I expected, but the colors seem rather faded (like pastels) - Dave :)

Dave

I can't get this. You have 6 on the list, I can only find 4. What did you do exactly? You clicked on OS X ""sub-forum"". What is that? I'm feeling particularly stupid at the moment. Sorry.

Ian

pm-r
08-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the earlier post on the Icon Legend and what they represent, but I still haven't found them.

I also thought some were salmon color to represent some delicious salmon, rather than the suggested "brown" that could be related to plain B.S.!!! ;)

But how come I see this for the "Icon Legend":

IWT
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=pm-r;1673235]Thanks for the earlier post on the Icon Legend and what they represent, but I still haven't found them.

That's what I get!! I can't reproduce what Dave got.

Ian

pm-r
08-17-2015, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=pm-r;1673235]Thanks for the earlier post on the Icon Legend and what they represent, but I still haven't found them.

That's what I get!! I can't reproduce what Dave got.

Ian

Maybe he has some upgraded membership that provides more features…???? Just a guess. O:)

chscag
08-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Maybe he has some upgraded membership that provides more features…???? Just a guess.

It might be that he's a lot smarter than we are or that he never complains... (hint, hint) ;D

I just tried it again and get the same thing that Dave showed in his example.

pm-r
08-17-2015, 05:32 PM
It might be that he's a lot smarter than we are or that he never complains... (hint, hint) ;D

I just tried it again and get the same thing that Dave showed in his example.

I don't know why and how you seem to mistranslate most of my posts, but I'm sure not complaining but just mentioning what I see, just like Ian sees them as well.

And I just tried again, and they show the same as I posted. Not the end of the world for sure, but strange whatever is causing the differences.

Patrick
=====

MacInWin
08-17-2015, 05:41 PM
The extra two show in a forum with threads, they do NOT show if the next level down is forums. So, to see 4, click on "Forums" and scroll to the bottom. To see six, pick this forum and scroll to the bottom. Curiously, in sub-forums you don't see ANY legend at all. Is that a feature or a bug? And I'm with pm-r and Lisa, how do you get back an auto-saved partial post? Nobody answered that one.

chscag
08-17-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't know why and how you seem to mistranslate most of my posts, but I'm sure not complaining but just mentioning what I see, just like Ian sees them as well.

No garbled translation or mistranslation. Anyway, read what Jake replied and you can then try it for yourself.

chscag
08-17-2015, 05:53 PM
And I'm with pm-r and Lisa, how do you get back an auto-saved partial post? Nobody answered that one.

I'm not sure that we can get back an auto-saved post. I do know that if you try to exit before your reply or thread has been posted, you'll get a warning that all will be lost. Now, what that has to do with the auto-save feature, I don't know. I have not seen anything that tells me that I can re-construct a post that I lost (system glitch, etc.) or where it might be stored at.

pm-r
08-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Let's just try a bit of testing with this auto save and see if I can see how it works.

I guess one needs to wait until the yellow auto save actually shows. OK, it just popped its head up.

So here's what happens if I try and close the active window, and I sure can't complain about that: ;) :)

And PS: The new and different Insert Attachment is sure an improvement over what it was. And I had suggested some improvement last month, so thanks for that.

chscag
08-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that's what I was referring to above. But let's suppose that your Internet connection goes down in the middle of a long reply and the auto save has appeared. Now, all of a sudden you can't continue.... where is what was auto saved stored at so you can retrieve it later when your connection comes back up?

pm-r
08-17-2015, 06:43 PM
this is a test

where is this kept?

where is auto save?

OK, so as long as I avoided and cancelled any action that brought up the warning message box, this is the "restore" I got if I went to a new window or sometimes a reload and then hit my Safari back window.

I have no idea as yet where the text that "disappears" to gets saved. But it's sure nice that the "Restore" option just might be there when needed. I only got it to show when I went back to the window I was originally composing the message.

IE:

RadDave
08-17-2015, 06:44 PM
[quote=raddave;1673218]
dave

i can't get this. You have 6 on the list, i can only find 4. What did you do exactly? You clicked on os x ""sub-forum"". What is that? I'm feeling particularly stupid at the moment. Sorry.

Hi Ian - a LOT of posts followed mine described above - I just went to a forum that would likely have many of the colored icons (first image below, blue arrow), then just scrolled to the bottom which shows the icons (second image) - did not read all of the posts that followed, so this may be redundant, sorry - Dave :)

chscag
08-17-2015, 07:23 PM
@pm-r

Nice work. Looks like you found the secret to restoring a post. You mentioned Safari, hopefully it also works the same way with Chrome and Firefox.

TattooedMac
08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Well, here we are. I signed in, then went straight to the Edit Options to change the Forum Skin to find its not there.

Change is a coming, and like Craig, I'm not too keen on this straight off the bat. I don't even have "My CP" button to go to my Subscribed threads. . . .

What I REALLY loved with the old, that I hate with a passion in this new Forum, writing a post, with my "TextExpander" snippets, in the old, all snippets would stay on the forum default font, now when I type a Formatted Snippet, that one snippet changes to the Formatted Font and the rest of the sentence follows that path until I end it. So I have ⅓ post Lucida Sans Unicode ⅓ TE Formatted and another ⅓ back to Lucida Sans Unicode, when I 'Return' to a new line.

There was a few forums out there that I never went back to, because the adopted this type of thing. I have to now to ⌘A and select Lucida Sans Unicode to make it all uniform . . .

PS: I'm just happy I have CP in my favourites in Safari so I'll have to keep going there to see Subbed Threads

Slydude
08-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. I just read this thread from roof to cellar so to speak. I have come to one conclusion: I'm either very tired (I am) or this is far more confusing than it should be. There's got to be a better way to tell which threads have new posts and how to use autosave.

Slydude
08-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Well, here we are. I signed in, then went straight to the Edit Options to change the Forum Skin to find its not there.

Change is a coming, and like Craig, I'm not too keen on this straight off the bat. I don't even have "My CP" button to go to my Subscribed threads. . . .

Top of each Page. Click the link that says settings

TattooedMac
08-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Arrgghhh Thanks Sly ōle mate. Change . . . Is umm good ?? haha

One thing which is a long time coming, is to use ⌘I/B/U for easy formatting of words . . .

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Yep, the yellow auto save function seems to be working but I've yet to have a connection drop out which I have had in the past loosing everything in a reply. I suppose we will see when and if that happens again. I am a little undecided about the preview that comes up if I swap from Quick Reply to Go Advanced. it seems unnecessary but perhaps it serves some purpose that I don't understand.
Also when I attach a file to a reply I can no longer see it until after I Submit Reply. I thought the preview would include it but no.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 09:54 PM
At least the iPhone app remains the same but I heard it's broken in iOS 9, any further word on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

chscag
08-17-2015, 10:08 PM
At least the iPhone app remains the same but I heard it's broken in iOS 9, any further word on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

Reports are that is has been fixed. I'm glad that it has since I like to use the Mac Forums app when I'm away from my machine at home.

chscag
08-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys. I just read this thread from roof to cellar so to speak. I have come to one conclusion: I'm either very tired (I am) or this is far more confusing than it should be. There's got to be a better way to tell which threads have new posts and how to use autosave.

I think that everything will fall in place once we get used to the new format. I would like to see the forum icon color markings be made so that they stand out rather than looking drab. As far as everything else including the ability to recover, I rather like it. Thanks to member pm-r we now know how to use recovery. Good detective work by him. :)

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Ah, good news, I really love being able to read and comment on the app when sitting in waiting rooms, on public transport, airports etc, etc. I would have gladly forestalled upgrading iOS just to keep it.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 10:22 PM
The extra two show in a forum with threads, they do NOT show if the next level down is forums. So, to see 4, click on "Forums" and scroll to the bottom. To see six, pick this forum and scroll to the bottom. Curiously, in sub-forums you don't see ANY legend at all. Is that a feature or a bug? And I'm with pm-r and Lisa, how do you get back an auto-saved partial post? Nobody answered that one.

Yes I too am waiting on that answer but it did give me my first oppertunity to use the Search Thread function. Unfortunately although it worked as expected it only returned the comment on restore from chscag.

chscag
08-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Ah, good news, I really love being able to read and comment on the app when sitting in waiting rooms, on public transport, airports etc, etc. I would have gladly forestalled upgrading iOS just to keep it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I spent a good deal of time this afternoon in my county tax office waiting to re-register an automobile. Being able to see what's going on and reply to important messages is very convenient. The only problem I have with the Mac Forums app is that it's not easy to do any kind of moderation while using it. That I reserve for my 27" iMac at my home office. :)

Lifeisabeach
08-17-2015, 10:59 PM

Why is that even titled as "settings"? There are no actual settings there.

Edit: OK, technically there are settings there, or really links to some settings. And they are kind of out of place there to begin with.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 11:03 PM
What is the function of the lovely big blue button bottom left of each thread that reads; +Reply to Thread? Quick Reply is already there at the bottom under the last reply, pressing this button does not seem to change anything that I can see and Quick Reply seems to be the default setting. In the past Advanced format was the result of pressing Reply and that is my preferred format, now this +Reply to Thread button seems redundant. Is there a way in control panel to make Advanced the preferred format for replies?

Slydude
08-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I spent a good deal of time this afternoon in my county tax office waiting to re-register an automobile.
Having lived in western Texas for several years while in grad school I feel qualified to ask the following question: How many adult beverages did you consume after this endeavor was over?:D Not too many I hope.

pm-r
08-17-2015, 11:17 PM
I think that everything will fall in place once we get used to the new format. I would like to see the forum icon color markings be made so that they stand out rather than looking drab. As far as everything else including the ability to recover, I rather like it. Thanks to member pm-r we now know how to use recovery. Good detective work by him. :)

Please don't take what I discovered as the only and final gospel way as to how the one way I discovered that the "Auto Save" works. There may be some other things lurking waiting to be discovered.

At least it should prevent the old "oh sh*tttt" operator expression errors I and I'm sure others have done with the old instant gone poof way… ;)

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 11:20 PM
This is getting a bit annoying, now i find that email links are not taking me to the comment that has been posted, rather the link takes me to the last post.

pm-r
08-17-2015, 11:25 PM
What is the function of the lovely big blue button bottom left of each thread that reads; +Reply to Thread? Quick Reply is already there at the bottom under the last reply, pressing this button does not seem to change anything that I can see and Quick Reply seems to be the default setting. In the past Advanced format was the result of pressing Reply and that is my preferred format, now this +Reply to Thread button seems redundant. Is there a way in control panel to make Advanced the preferred format for replies?

I asked the same question the other day that chscag answered, but you'll have to figure out how the forum "search" works to find it. Basically, it's a duplicate, and unless I've had too much dry red wine this evening, I'm not even seeing the blue +Reply thing this evening. :Blushing:

pm-r
08-17-2015, 11:28 PM
This is getting a bit annoying, now i find that email links are not taking me to the comment that has been posted, rather the link takes me to the last post.

Yup. Same here usually. :(

But not always and a bit inconsistent, but no big problem and hard to control I'd guess with a very active thread.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Yup. Same here usually. :(

But not always and a bit inconsistent, but no big problem and hard to control I'd guess with a very active thread.

Yes I may be being a bit harsh I think you are right, it's the sheer volume of replies, by the time i receive an email notification of a comment we are already on the next page.;D

Slydude
08-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Why is that even titled as "settings"? There are no actual settings there.

Edit: OK, technically there are settings there, or really links to some settings. And they are kind of out of place there to begin with.
I kinda thought the same thing. Stumbled upon it looking for the reputations/comments. It took me a bit of poking around to find that link. I basically followed the poke at it till something happens method.

Lifeisabeach
08-17-2015, 11:45 PM

I was wondering that same thing exactly, and it tripped me up because I tapped that once after typing out a reply. What it apparently is supposed to do is activate the Quick Reply box if you have it turned off in your settings (Settings, then General Settings). But.... that option doesn't even work.

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 11:46 PM
Pity though, it's the nicest looking, biggest button on the page.:)

Rod Sprague
08-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Oh! Haha I just hovered over my icon to see what would happen and saw my "Reputation" who do I have to thank, administrator, moderator for the "Rod sprague is just really nice" description? I'm touched.

chscag
08-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Having lived in western Texas for several years while in grad school I feel qualified to ask the following question: How many adult beverages did you consume after this endeavor was over? Not too many I hope.

LOL, when I got there my number was 49 and the posted "waited on number was 18". Being a Monday I should have known better. The only saving grace about the tax office is it's on the same block as our local Apple Store. I was tempted to leave for awhile and browse around at the store but I figured I would lose my place if I did. I finally got home about 2 hours later and spent the next 30 minutes putting the new registration sticker on the car in 98 F heat. But that whole ordeal is not near as bad as renewing your driver license at the DMV. That can be a 4 hour affair when school is out for the Summer. :Angry-Tongue:

chscag
08-18-2015, 12:08 AM
A bit of information guys.... I just visited the "Windows Secrets Lounge" (forum) also owned by Penton. Guess what? Their forum is setup exactly like ours. I guess one of the reasons our forum was re-done was to make it uniform with the other forums by Penton.

pm-r
08-18-2015, 12:26 AM
A bit of information guys.... I just visited the "Windows Secrets Lounge" (forum) also owned by Penton. Guess what? Their forum is setup exactly like ours. I guess one of the reasons our forum was re-done was to make it uniform with the other forums by Penton.

Interesting and I should have just asked as I was trying to figure out who's doing what with all those involved, as far as those listed goes earlier today: