X11 (XQuartz) not being found

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right section but it seemed to be where the most people who would understand my problem would be. I've installed a large physics simulation package and part of the requirements for it is to have X11 or XQuartz installed. When trying to run the program and I launch an XQuartz terminal and after typing in the commands to run the program I get the following:

Code:
2015-07-27 18:44:15.478 X11[8115:29498] Failed to connect (primary_text_field_cell) outlet from (AppDelegate) to (NSTextFieldCell): missing setter or instance variable

As well as a prompt that says "You need to install X11. Would you like to install X11 now?" Obviously I have X11 installed as I am launching the program from an X11 terminal so I'm not sure what to do. Running echo $PATH I get the following:

Code:
bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
/Users/steve/my_mcnp/MCNP_CODE/bin:/Users/steve/geant4/geant4.10.01_install/lib:/Users/steve/anaconda/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin

I see X11 in the path but I am wondering if it needs to be in /usr/X11 rather than /opt/X11. If so, I wouldn't know how to go about changing and if it's something else then I am not sure.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OS X has a very non-traditional file system layout so it's very possible that X11 is called or expected somewhere where it's not. With that in mind, let's start simple. What is the name of this package and does it specifically support OS X? Did you build it or did it come pre-compiled? If it was the latter, how did you build it?

OP
D
Reaction score
So first: I have been to the XQuartz site and I have the most up to date version of XQuartz so I'm not sure if there is anything else that can be offered from that site right now.

Second: The package is called MCNP6, radiation transport code. It does specifically support OSX and it came pre compiled. There is a script file used to uncompress and install data libraries, install the code, and add the paths to the bash. I have actually installed the software on 5-6 other OSX machines and have never had a problem before. It's rather ironic that the problems start up on my computer but it always works when I do it for other people.

OP
D
Reaction score
A little update: I've been playing around with uninstalling and reinstalling XQuartz to no avail. After some digging I found the version 2.7.8_rc1, the current version is 2.7.7, and installed that and everything is working now. I find it a bit odd since this is an old version of the software but nonetheless it is now working.

Reaction score
Uh, 2.7.8 is not older than 2.7.7. What you have is the release candidate for 2.7.8, hence the _rc1.
Where exactly did you get this application? Everything I've found so far is source code with data and a few auxiliary binaries.

OP
D
Reaction score
Uh, 2.7.8 is not older than 2.7.7. What you have is the release candidate for 2.7.8, hence the _rc1.
Where exactly did you get this application? Everything I've found so far is source code with data and a few auxiliary binaries.

My last sentence was unclear. I meant to say I have an old version of MCNP but it works with a newer version of XQuartz.

I'm curious where you found the source code for it? It's export controlled software by the US government so I have to apply for a license from these people. Older versions of it aren't export controlled though. I think it's just anything released post 9/11 era. There is another code developed by CERN that is similar in nature called Geant4 and is not export controlled.

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't find the source, found instructions on building from source.
Looking at your first error message it looks like there is a bug in the code.
Possibly why it thinks there's no X11 installed. It is correct, the newer versions are in opt, not usr.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.