Nice Player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Exactly what is Nice Player? Is it only for audio files or does it play video files? If only for audio, what program can I use for video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Eh? Perian's developers used to recommend NicePlayer. Has something changed, or is there malware posing as NP?

Back to Junior... we all recommend VLC for playing video. I used to recommend MPlayerX, but the developer reportedly started to bundle adware with the installer recently, and even said as much himself, so avoid that as well.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Probably depends on where you get it from.
But, it's gone the way of a few others with a browser toolbar download.

I did discover last night, that the old free version of Flip4Mac I still have works with windows media files on the web in 10.10.4. Must have been 2-3 years since I last ran into one. F4M did pop up and want me to download the new pay version. Just clicked cancel and video played just fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll look up VLC and delete not so Nice Player.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the VLC.com site I see the program for Windows. Many other site like softronic and CNET offer a MAC version of VLC but I understand CNET can be problematic and I don't know if softronic is also problematic.
Can someone point me to a safe site to download VLC for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Probably depends on where you get it from.
But, it's gone the way of a few others with a browser toolbar download.

I did discover last night, that the old free version of Flip4Mac I still have works with windows media files on the web in 10.10.4. Must have been 2-3 years since I last ran into one. F4M did pop up and want me to download the new pay version. Just clicked cancel and video played just fine.

It's really disappointing how the general trend here on the Mac platform is starting to shift to bundling adware with useful apps. It's one of the things that I got tired of seeing on Windows, and it instills at the least a shadow of doubt to just how benign the app I wanted is.

As much as I hate to not recommend MPlayerX, I'm still using it myself because it's proven to be more reliable and easier to use than VLC has been in a long time. I've even re-downloaded the installer a couple times since the "adware" component was an optional install that could be unchecked to see what it was all about. I have yet to see it myself, but I have found the app dropped into my downloads folder when "driving by" sites that proved to be less than reputable. This makes me think the developer is "cooperating" with those sites, but the installer direct from him appears to be clean.

Ok... this is creepy. Unrelated to this thread, but I just noticed a DMG titled "Flash Player" is mounted on my Desktop. I didn't download it; didn't get a prompt for it; and it's not in my Downloads folder. We just got home from grocery shopping and my Mac has sat here unused all morning, save for checking this forum this morning and a couple blogs I follow. I have no idea where this came from! I know there's a new 0-day Flash exploit being reported on... will have to read up on that. First to figure out where this is residing...

EDIT: it's /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/T/decryptedFile.dmg

I'd run this by ClamXav, but I deleted it when they went to a pay model. Grrrrr..... just when I'd like the "2nd opinion" that I've been advocating as a reasonable precaution today.

EDIT 2: It appears to be Adobe's auto-update in action. I used to have it disabled so I could do it manually, but I recently re-enabled it. Gonna re-disable it because getting used to things popping up on my system for me to install without my having initiated the action isn't good security in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LAB Adobe seem to change this notify me option to automatic download if you do not pay particular attention whenever you update.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Iclev. Downloaded VLC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.