PDA

View Full Version : Is uploading large amounts of data on Wi-Fi reliable?

tommytime555
07-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Idiotic question I guess but I'm in the process of syncing about 100 gigs of work files to Dropbox.... My question is, is there a big difference (in terms of reliability) when doing this over wi-fi as opposed to be hard-wired?..... I mean, data is data, no matter how you look at it but I wasn't sure if the percentage of "corrupt files" would increase if doing this over wi-fi..

Any clarity appreciated.

T

vansmith
07-10-2015, 12:38 PM
As far as I know, WiFi is no less reliable. That said, wired connections will likely have lower latency and faster speeds. Thus, if you have access to a wired connection, you may want to do that to help things along.

tommytime555
07-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks Van!

McBie
07-10-2015, 02:40 PM
As Van said, I wouldn't worry about the integrity of your data, just the speed.
Using WiFi will have an negative impact on how long it will take to get your data across, but that's all.

Cheers ... McBie

XJ-linux
07-10-2015, 04:50 PM
TCP is TCP, retransmits and all. WiFi can be slower, and it can be more easily interrupted by more things in the environment, but that's about it. Of course, regardless of local transmit media (Wifi or wired) the whole payload will only be as fast to it's ultimate destination as the slowest downstream port it travels through (your ISP upload speed, intermediary transaction points, Dropbox throttling of speed, etc). Most consumer internet upload segments are not is fast as the network in your home, even the average home WiFi network.