PDA

View Full Version : Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today

chscag
07-09-2015, 08:22 PM
As the title states: The Public beta of iOS 9 and El Capitan have been released today. Follow the link(s) in the article to obtain them. Usual precautionary words apply when messing with beta software!

iOS 9 and El Capitan public betas released (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/07/the-os-x-el-capitan-public-beta-arrives-where-to-get-it-and-how-to-install-it/)

dtravis7
07-09-2015, 08:29 PM
El Capitan is installing as I type this. Will report back after I mess with it.

Slydude
07-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Download of El Capitan begins as soon as I make a clone of the current system. Looks like my iPad may not run the beta. I just got it a few months ago when I changed carriers but skimped a bit when I pick the iPad to cut down on the bill a bit. (16 GB iPad)

chas_m
07-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/09/public.beta.begins.despite.long.list.of.issues.pro blems.129450/)

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.

lclev
07-09-2015, 09:18 PM
I think I will wait this one out and let others have all the fun. I thought about using my 2009 Macbook as a test machine but I think I will wait for now.

Lisa

Slydude
07-09-2015, 09:23 PM
My phone could take the Beta but I'm not going to run it there because it's essentially our house phone. If I can shoehorn the beta onto my iPad I'll put it there.

I'll start downloading El Capitan as soon as I finish the clone of my current system and verify that it works.

dtravis7
07-09-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/09/public.beta.begins.despite.long.list.of.issues.pro blems.129450/)

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.

Um, Chas, I am a tester and if people do not test it will continue to be full of Bugs. Most here are very much aware about bugs. I never said I was installing it on my main partition! I am not stupid. I JOINED the Beta program way back to HELP Apple find the bugs! :D

I have 3 partitions here on my system and one just for the new BETA so don't worry,

That said just got back and am in 10.11 as I type this and hey, it's smooth and Safari works and seems very snappy! So there! :P

chas_m
07-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Dennis: sorry you didn't manage to read on to paragraph two of my post. Let me repeat here with emphasis for the comprehension-challenged.

"The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work."

The entire purpose of those sentences is to specifically exclude people like yourself from the warning. Lots of people (millions) do not heed the usual precautions, and install betas on their main machines or on their main partition, or without a backup, or otherwise are stupid. Does any of that sound like you? Of course it doesn't. I'm sorry if this was ... somehow ... unclear to you.

dtravis7
07-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! :D Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing! :D

rabbitjetta
07-10-2015, 11:05 AM
I installed the beta on my main 6+ last evening and so far so good. The only complaints that I have is 1. Full screen on youtube has a few glitches and 2. the known volume buttons not taking pictures. So far it seems more reliable than iOS 8. I have not had any crashing like I used to experience quite frequently. I have several backups and many phones that I could use in case I did have issues with the beta.

pm-r
07-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! :D Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing! :D

Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.

But it's interesting to read it seems to be running well on a mid-late 2007 iMac which my wife is now using when I got a mid-2011 iMac, but with snow leopard, and probably will for some time yet, and I'll be staying with Mavericks unless El Capitan improves the OS X experience as SL 10.6.8 did and which I'm told it might. ;)

dtravis7
07-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.

So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

pm-r
07-10-2015, 09:33 PM
So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

Good grief Dennis, are you having a bad day or what, and I was NOT attacking you in any way at all!!

And I'm sorry you seemed to have misinterpreted some of what I was saying. Something missing in the translation I guess, and it sure wasn't intended as such.

Have a good enjoyable weekend. ;D

dtravis7
07-10-2015, 09:56 PM
PM-R, I sent you a PM explaining things. Take care.

dtravis7
07-11-2015, 03:58 PM
I just found a bug in 10.11. Never had this with any Beta before. If I network to my other Macs and try to view the documents folder on any of them, the finder windows goes nuts with all kinds of corruption! I have to get some screen shots and report it to Apple.

Remote Desktop on that same share still works though. Crazy!

chscag
07-11-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm a member of another forum: "Logos Software". It's amazing how many folks there jumped on the public beta of El Capitan and installed it on their production machine. Lots of complaints to the developer of Logos because it doesn't run right on the beta. Just reading through some of them this afternoon - lots of irate responses blaming both Apple and Logos. When will folks ever learn that beta software is for testing and not because you want the latest and greatest right away?

Slydude
07-11-2015, 04:40 PM
I put the Beta on my primary machine because I have a backup and won't be doing much of anything "mission critical for a few more weeks. Been testing since last night but have noticed the following:

1. Initially after the beta install I had 2 Mail icons in the Dock. One where I had placed it in the left side of the Dock and one on the far right near the divider. Both aliases linked to the same app. That was fixed in the supplemental update.

2. I have an external display connected to my MacBook Pro. The Displays preference pane has the external monitor set to the left of the MacBook screen with everything in extended desktop mode. Moving from the laptop screen to external monitor I move the cursor from right to left. Under the beta this still works unless I am at the login screen where everything is the exact opposite which I think is the default.

As soon Ias I log into my account I get my settings otherwise things are reversed. Did Yosemite behave that way.

chscag
07-12-2015, 03:33 AM
I downloaded and put the beta on an external USB 3 hard drive which I was using to test the Office 2016 preview. Spent half the evening downloading. The 2016 Office Preview had 5 updates to download and install before I could even get to "El Capitan". Finally got it all installed. Looked at the pretty new desktop and decided I'll play around with it tomorrow evening when I have more time. :D

Rod Sprague
07-15-2015, 03:38 AM
Probably a bit early to start hassling developers but have already received updates for iStat Menus (not working originally), CleanMyMac 4 (I know, I know), Vuze required, Java for OS X 2015-001 beta installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

This package is exclusively intended for support of legacy software, and installs the same deprecated version of Java 6 included in the 2013-005 release. If you require Java for applets or other non-legacy uses it is recommended you download the latest version of Java from java.com: Java + You (http://java.com).

Quake 4 does not load and Opera has trouble downloading web links so have swapped to the Beta version. My VPN app (Witopia) required a update otherwise all good so far.:Blushing:

chas_m
07-15-2015, 04:22 AM
As I think I noted elsewhere, the Mac-Forums iOS app doesn't work under iOS 9. I didn't realise how much I use that thing ...

Overall, iOS 9 does actually seem quicker, and while I haven't tested it very much, I like the new features I have seen (the new Siri presence for example). There's stuff that doesn't work, but most things seem to be running okay. So far, it's less problematic than El Capitan (which I haven't put on any of my own machines, just a spare unit at work), but I still wouldn't suggest this for anyone who's just keen to see/use the new features. It's pretty far along for an early beta, but pretty far from ready for release.

chscag
07-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Well, it looks like the second iteration of the El Capitan public beta has broken the following apps:

iStat Menus

Carbon Copy Cloner

Logos 6 (remains broken)

I've been testing everything that I have access to. Games seem to run OK and that includes PrBoom and PrBoom Plus (Doom). Crossover is working OK and was able to run the Windows games that I have. All other apps are running normally and that includes Office 2016. :)

dtravis7
07-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Well, it looks like the second iteration of the El Capitan public beta has broken the following apps:

iStat Menus

Carbon Copy Cloner

Logos 6 (remains broken)

I've been testing everything that I have access to. Games seem to run OK and that includes PrBoom and PrBoom Plus (Doom). Crossover is working OK and was able to run the Windows games that I have. All other apps are running normally and that includes Office 2016. :)

Charlie, when did this 2nd beta come out? If today it's not showing for me as yet on the App store. Did you have to log into the Apple Beta program to get it? I am still running the 1st one that came down.

This is what I have installed. Let me know.

10.11 Beta (15A215h)

dtravis7
07-16-2015, 12:35 AM
Chas, I would not recommend El Captain to anyone who is not a Dev or Beta tester and knows what they are doing as yet anyway. It's still an early Beta but for how early it is things work quite well. I have not used a lot of external Apps that do not come with it and especially older 32-Bit apps. Will have to get to that later tonight. That is where a lot of the issues seem to be.

I do love the OS though and do see speed improvements here. Since I have it and Yosemite here on this machine I can compare them on the same system.

chas_m
07-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Dennis: I *think* Charlie is referring to the "patch" for the one and only public beta that fixed an issue with all 32-bit programs.

The reports I'm seeing on El Capitan mirrors your experience. Lots of things don't work or don't work right, but lots of things do. The new features and faster operation are noticeable, according to developer friends. I'd be putting it on a partition or separate drive for testing but haven't had the time to reconfigure my setup yet. I do have a spare 3TB somewhere I haven't put to work yet ...

dtravis7
07-16-2015, 01:41 AM
Dennis: I *think* Charlie is referring to the "patch" for the one and only public beta that fixed an issue with all 32-bit programs.

The reports I'm seeing on El Capitan mirrors your experience. Lots of things don't work or don't work right, but lots of things do. The new features and faster operation are noticeable, according to developer friends. I'd be putting it on a partition or separate drive for testing but haven't had the time to reconfigure my setup yet. I do have a spare 3TB somewhere I haven't put to work yet ...

Ah ok! Thanks for the Info! I got that patch also. Just don't want to miss an update! :D Grin

chscag
07-16-2015, 03:19 AM
@Dennis: That's right, I was referring to the patch, not a second issue of the public beta. I'm hoping that we'll see another issue of the beta within the next several weeks. I would love to get my Logos 6 program running on the beta. I'm not worried about CCC or iStat Menus since both developers are usually on top of things.

dtravis7
07-16-2015, 03:22 AM
@Dennis: That's right, I was referring to the patch, not a second issue of the public beta. I'm hoping that we'll see another issue of the beta within the next several weeks. I would love to get my Logos 6 program running on the beta. I'm not worried about CCC or iStat Menus since both developers are usually on top of things.

Cool Beans as some say!

Rod Sprague
07-16-2015, 03:31 AM

iStat Menus developers got back to me very quickly with a new version which works fine and CCC's Bombich software provided me with a method of downloading thier latest Beta release which they say should work with OSX 10.11. Haven't tried it yet. Either way I enrolled in their Beta testing program just for the heck of it.

lclev
07-16-2015, 09:54 AM

I initially missed the Logos 6 issue until you mentioned it. I looked at the posts on the Logos forum about El Capitan. I do not understand why people jump on a beta with their primary computer and then get upset. I did catch a couple of posts that said Logos will not be dealing with El Capitan until the final product is released.

I haven't started messing with El Capitan yet. Too much going on at work and I like letting others take the hits first. ;) I finally freed up an old 2009 Macbook that just squeaks by on the system requirements. I plan to "sacrifice" to the cause later today. For now my MB AIr and Mac Pro will not be updated until Logos and other essential apps work with it.

For now on to sacrificing the Macbook!

Lisa

vansmith
07-16-2015, 10:12 AM
I initially missed the Logos 6 issue until you mentioned it. I looked at the posts on the Logos forum about El Capitan. I do not understand why people jump on a beta with their primary computer and then get upset. I did catch a couple of posts that said Logos will not be dealing with El Capitan until the final product is released.I saw something similar with Mendeley and the Office 2016 preview. A whole set of users complained that Mendeley didn't support the preview and Mendeley staff responded by simply saying, "when the final version gets released, we'll let you know what we plan." A day or two after 2016 went live, they sent an email out letting us know about the progress.

Slydude
07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
I can certainly understand development teams, especially those smaller developers, doing that. Betas a re by definition going to change as bugs are reported and squashed. One could waste a lot of time chasing a problem which either won't exist in the final OS release or will need to be fixed differently than it did under the beta.

pm-r
07-16-2015, 12:50 PM
FWIW regarding CCC and the El Capitan beta:
"We posted a beta of CCC for El Capitan beta testers back in June and I'm happy to report that our testing of CCC 4.1.4 (beta) has been going well on the new OS. So far we haven't found any significant problems. …" by Mike | July 10, 2015
https://bombich.com/blog/categories/el-capitan

and..
"Help us test!
If you're participating in Apple's El Capitan beta testing program, you can help us test CCC on the new OS. …"
https://bombich.com/blog/2015/07/10/el-capitan-and-third-party-backup-software

EDIT:
Update [June 16, 2015]: CCC 4.1.4-b2 posted…
https://bombich.com/blog/2015/06/01/will-ccc-4-work-next-major-os

chscag
07-16-2015, 03:32 PM
I initially missed the Logos 6 issue until you mentioned it. I looked at the posts on the Logos forum about El Capitan. I do not understand why people jump on a beta with their primary computer and then get upset. I did catch a couple of posts that said Logos will not be dealing with El Capitan until the final product is released.

The latest from the Logos 6 forum is that it's currently being worked on. But truthfully, I have been vocal with them not about the El Capitan beta but about their service releases breaking the interaction between MS Office and Logos 6. Their service release 3 broke the "copy and paste" and services menu "replace with passage". But to their credit they repaired both in the next service release (4).

lclev
07-16-2015, 05:01 PM
The latest from the Logos 6 forum is that it's currently being worked on. But truthfully, I have been vocal with them not about the El Capitan beta but about their service releases breaking the interaction between MS Office and Logos 6. Their service release 3 broke the "copy and paste" and services menu "replace with passage". But to their credit they repaired both in the next service release (4).

Logos is one app I can never keep track of what update I am getting now. If it is not updating, it is indexing. I realize it is juggling a huge library but sometimes it is annoying.

I have notice since they came out with the Mac version it runs better for me. Previously, as you know, it was windows only. My initial purchase was Logos 3 (I think - but I know it came on disks.) It use to bog my windows laptop down when it indexed to the point is was a pain to use. I would be trying to work with it and here comes the latest download and now we are indexing....sigh.

I use it mainly on my 2013 MB Air with 4GB of memory and it handles it easily which was a pleasant surprise.

I missed the "cut and paste" probably because I wasn't using it at the time. I tend to create a document, add clipping to and add my own notes. Most of what I use it for is personal study. I store everything in Logos. I only export it to Word when I want to have a paper copy for something I am doing so I would have missed it.

Currently installing El Capitan on my 2009 Macbook, 4gb of memory. Let's see how "she" handle it. :Mischievous:

Lisa

chscag
07-16-2015, 06:24 PM
You're a new comer to Logos Lisa. :) I've been using Logos since back when it was the Logos Library System and made for Windows 3.0 and 3.1. But yes, it runs a lot faster for me on a Mac than it ever did in Windows. I've also got a rather large library so indexing does take a while each time an update to a book is issued. However, I can't do without the copy and paste feature which I use for all my sermons and Bible Studies.

dtravis7
07-16-2015, 10:51 PM
This might help some. List of known issues. Just in case anyone runs into these.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/rn-osx-10.11/

vansmith
07-16-2015, 10:54 PM
I just looked at those and saw this:
After upgrading to OS X El Capitan Developer Beta, applications that write to protected/system locations may no longer function correctly.That reminded me that EC will bring with it "rootless" permissions settings which basically prevents admin users from editing certain parts of the OS. I better be able to edit files as root if that becomes a central feature of EC...

dtravis7
07-17-2015, 12:38 AM
I just looked at those and saw this:That reminded me that EC will bring with it "rootless" permissions settings which basically prevents admin users from editing certain parts of the OS. I better be able to edit files as root if that becomes a central feature of EC...

I agree, don't take our root access from us or else! :D Grin

lclev
07-17-2015, 07:02 PM
You're a new comer to Logos Lisa. :) I've been using Logos since back when it was the Logos Library System and made for Windows 3.0 and 3.1. But yes, it runs a lot faster for me on a Mac than it ever did in Windows. I've also got a rather large library so indexing does take a while each time an update to a book is issued. However, I can't do without the copy and paste feature which I use for all my sermons and Bible Studies.

In 2004 I went to a ministry training seminar and we were to choose which sessions we wanted to attend. I thought Logos was how to design church logos - as did our youth pastor and another in our ministry group. When the presenter started up his projector and it became evident what Logos was. The two guys I was with sneaked out. I stayed and ended up purchasing the 5-1/4" floppies the program came on at half off - and that was still very expensive. Since then I have updated several times and purchased lots of other books. I have never regretted it.

I have El Capitan up and running on my 2009 Macbook. I haven't found any issues although I haven't figured out how to do the split screen feature yet.

Lisa

dtravis7
07-17-2015, 07:11 PM
In 2004 I went to a ministry training seminar and we were to choose which sessions we wanted to attend. I thought Logos was how to design church logos - as did our youth pastor and another in our ministry group. When the presenter started up his projector and it became evident what Logos was. The two guys I was with sneaked out. I stayed and ended up purchasing the 5-1/4" floppies the program came on at half off - and that was still very expensive. Since then I have updated several times and purchased lots of other books. I have never regretted it.

Interesting as when I think of Logos I think of Bible software also!

https://www.logos.com/

I
I have El Capitan up and running on my 2009 Macbook. I haven't found any issues although I haven't figured out how to do the split screen feature yet.

Lisa

Here is how to do Split Screen. There are 2 methods.

How to use Split View in OS X El Capitan - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-split-view-in-os-x-el-capitan/)

lclev
07-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Thanks Dennis!

I read the article then tried Split Screen out. I am not impressed. First, if you are using it with two apps, they both need to be open because the dock and top menu bars are gone. What is with that?

I purchased Better Snap Tool for my Mac Pro and it is much nicer. Better Snap acts just like Windows 7 does for multi windows. You just grab the top of the app and move it. Better Snap offers a white outline that changes as you move from half screen to a quarter screen. When you get what you want you let it go.

IMO Split Screen just seems awkward.

Lisa

Csmac
07-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Isn't split screen meant for full screen apps so by definition no menu bar or dock?

Cliff

dtravis7
07-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Isn't split screen meant for full screen apps so by definition no menu bar or dock?

Cliff

yes, you are correct.

lclev
07-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Cliff

Well, not in Windows and not using Better Snap. I want the dock and menu bar. I just don't see why that has to be - at least make it an option.

Lisa

Csmac
07-17-2015, 09:27 PM
I would definitely agree with that!

dtravis7
07-17-2015, 11:50 PM
Well, not in Windows and not using Better Snap. I want the dock and menu bar. I just don't see why that has to be - at least make it an option.

Lisa

What I was saying above is that is the way Apple has made the split window work in El Capitan. Maybe it will change more like you want it before it releases, but for now that is the default behavior. I don't mind it as I have never really used the Bump or whatever it's called in Windows 7 so I am not used to another way of doing it.

chas_m
07-18-2015, 03:19 AM
On another aspect, this time of the iOS 9 beta, I'm wondering if any Mac-Forums folks can help me confirm an issue I appear to have discovered.

If you have an iOS device with iOS 9 public beta on it, and a Bluetooth keyboard, can you test this for me?

1. Pair the bluetooth keyboard to the iOS device.
2. Press the button for period (.) and it should work as you'd expect.
3. Now press the shift key on either side and the period button, and see if it will product the "greater than" sign as it should (>). In my testing on multiple keyboards, this one keypress does not register.

Let me know what you find, and what equipment you used. Thanks.

Slydude
07-18-2015, 04:05 AM
I just tried this with my Logitech keyboard. You're right. The comma key works as expected. The period key works until you press the SHIFT key. Right or left shift doesn't matter.

chas_m
07-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Sly: thanks so much!

Slydude
07-18-2015, 07:25 AM
I tried it with Notes. Will be turning in a bug report later today after I check to see if the same thing happens in other programs.

I was playing with finger drawing in Notes. It took me a while to figure out erasing things. It doesn't quite look enough like a pencil eraser to me. I suggested it look a bit more like the gum eraser type icon.

lclev
07-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Well I sent my observations on split screen to apple. I find it difficult (or not intuitive) to get out of it. I also fail to see why the three little balls have to disappear. Just my opinion but if it does not change I will stick with Better Snap Tool for Mac.

Lisa

dtravis7
07-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Found new Bug. I made my normal folders and Rules in Mail. Every time I quit Mail and restart it the rules are all gone with just the one default rule.

Just reported it to Apple.

Slydude
07-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Think I found one in the Maps function on the IOS 9 Beta.

We were out pf town earlier today and I had the opportunity to use Maps for the first time since installing the beta. Here's a list of the problems I encountered:
1. While at home I got a message that directions for the route I wanted were not available.
2. In the car I finally pulled up directions and started turn by turn notification I got a repeated rerouting message on screen even though we were on the route.
3. After restarting the app things worked normally.
4. On the return trip I got the same " directions not available message" despite the fact that we were essentially retraining the steps.

At that point I pulled out the wife's iPhone 6+ which was receiving the same level of signal and got the directions immediately while my phone was still reporting directions not available. Same phones, same carrier and signal level. I'm running the beta she is not.

Anyone else see this?

pm-r
07-18-2015, 11:24 PM
… … ...
Anyone else see this?

Any chance you've ever watched some of those youtube type complications of those navigating by some device and associated software…???

And you're expecting some beta software to work perfectly?? Wow.

But I can arrange for an ideal island to be available I can sell to you. :Smirk:

Slydude
07-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Any chance you've ever watched some of those youtube type complications of those navigating by some device and associated software…???

And you're expecting some beta software to work perfectly?? Wow.

But I can arrange for an ideal island to be available I can sell to you. :Smirk:

No i have not watched those videos. My life works so much better when I spend as little time as possible on youtube and similar sites.

I assure you I am not naive enough to expect beta software to work perfectly. I don't even expect final release software to work perfectly. I was merely wondering out loud if anyone else, who uses Maps more than I do, had experienced the same problem.

I'll trade a few bags of magic beans for that island.

pm-r
07-18-2015, 11:52 PM
I was just joking Slydude which I'm sure you gathered, but now that you mention it, what kind of magic beans do you have there???

Slydude
07-19-2015, 12:34 AM
I kinda figured you were. As for the magic beans well I think I'll keep that a secret fro now.

vansmith
07-19-2015, 11:09 AM

We were out pf town earlier today and I had the opportunity to use Maps for the first time since installing the beta. Here's a list of the problems I encountered:
1. While at home I got a message that directions for the route I wanted were not available.
2. In the car I finally pulled up directions and started turn by turn notification I got a repeated rerouting message on screen even though we were on the route.
3. After restarting the app things worked normally.
4. On the return trip I got the same " directions not available message" despite the fact that we were essentially retraining the steps.

At that point I pulled out the wife's iPhone 6+ which was receiving the same level of signal and got the directions immediately while my phone was still reporting directions not available. Same phones, same carrier and signal level. I'm running the beta she is not.

Anyone else see this?I wonder if this was more a navigation server error - I gave Maps a try yesterday (iOS 8.4) and it failed to find a route for me midday. Maybe that was the issue and not iOS 9?

Slydude
07-19-2015, 11:44 AM
That specific possibility didn't occur to me but the possibility that there could be other factors involved did. That wouldn't explain why here phone could connect at the exact same time mine couldn't would it?

I think I will be trying a few more test routes before turning in a bug report to Apple.

vansmith
07-19-2015, 11:53 AM
That I can't explain. Perhaps it was flaky yesterday or perhaps this is just a coincidence. Either way, I might just blame you. :P

Slydude
07-19-2015, 12:00 PM
That I can't explain. Perhaps it was flaky yesterday or perhaps this is just a coincidence. Either way, I might just blame you. :P

Perhaps you could mention that to your contacts in Cupertino? I'll take the blame in exchange for appropriate compensation. I'm thinking lifetime supply of Apple gear would be appropriate.

Csmac
07-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Just a question on Mail.

Has anyone had issues with Smart Folders and the Search function not working? I installed the Public Beta over a cloned backup of my production machine on an external HD and when starting Mail it said it was updating the database then it croaked and said it had an error. It then said that the index was messed up so to quit the application. When I restarted it, it said it was importing the mail and all seemed ok on the surface. Problem is that Smart Folders and the Search function don't work at all. Both come up with zero entries. I suspect it is related to a messed up index, but the folders are all ok and the rules put things in the right places. I don't see anywhere to force a reindexing? Ideas?

chscag
07-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Looks like Public Beta 2 of El Capitan was released today. Anyone download it yet? I'm about to download it as soon as I boot to my beta hard drive.

Tygrz
07-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Looks like Public Beta 2 of El Capitan was released today. Anyone download it yet? I'm about to download it as soon as I boot to my beta hard drive.
I d/l & installed earlier today and my hard drive went crazy... making noise like it was failing.
Am currently trying it again, and this time it is taking a lot longer to download.

(Later)... download done. Hard drive no longer trying to do the funky chicken. Gonna go see if I can conjure up some more good or bad about the update...

chas_m
07-26-2015, 01:47 AM
I am pleased to report that iOS 9 pb2 resolved the very weird bug I mentioned earlier in this thread about BT keyboards not being able to do the "greater than" character. It now works perfectly.

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 02:49 AM
This morning expecting the rush may have subsided i fired up my El Capitan drive to obtain the OSX El Capitan Public Beta 2 Update.
I completed the download and was informed a restart was required, nothing unusual about that.
After the restart I was informed that there was a further update would I like to download and restart. I clicked yes. The same process repeated three times such that my updates look like the attached image.
Am I stuck in a loop here?
Is this the same update each time? If so why hasn't it installed and disappeared from the updates list?

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 03:06 AM
So I have rebooted this time and the number of available updates remains the same the current update is downloading 296Mb of 1.94Gb and a dialogue box (see below) and as with the other updates I am asked to confirm "Download and Restart" which is what I did in the previous cases but the laptop did not restart as promised in the last case I had to do it manually after waiting 10 minutes for it to do it itself.:Confused:

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 03:14 AM
Sorry I posted seperately on this update here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/326740-just-how-many-el-capitan-beta-2-updates-there.html
Just a few problems.:[

Slydude
07-26-2015, 03:23 AM
I am pleased to report that iOS 9 pb2 resolved the very weird bug I mentioned earlier in this thread about BT keyboards not being able to do the "greater than" character. It now works perfectly.

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. They've already squashed a bug or two I noticed in El Capitan sho this one has promise.

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 03:45 AM
If I could just get the update to download and install I'd be a happy shopper. see;
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/326740-just-how-many-el-capitan-beta-2-updates-there.html#post1669747
Sorry obviously should have posted on this thread.
Can someone combine them?:[

Slydude
07-26-2015, 04:12 AM
Something's odd here Rob. I only have one copy of that update. Installation and restart were as expected. No problems.

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 04:16 AM
I feared as much, it is possible that the update has not completed successfully but there is no way to actually check that. It's also a bit strange that the recent updates show that it has completed. I guess I can only try again.:)

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 04:34 AM
Now after receiving a Notification that my computer needed to restart to complete installation and allowing it to count down I receive this text;22546

And now I have 5 downloads of the update showing in recent downloads.
Think I might try this again tomorrow. By the way clicking Show Details did nothing.

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 04:40 AM
By the way has everybody seen the NEW Disk Utility?
I thought I would see if any repairs were needed while waiting for the download to complete and this is what I saw;

No more Repair Permissions???

Slydude
07-26-2015, 05:17 AM
Yeah. I got a look at it the other day to do a restore of something. Took me a few minutes to get used to it. BTW I misread one of the dialogs in the restore operation a time or two before I caught on to what the dialog says.

Rod Sprague
07-26-2015, 06:50 AM
After so many years of Disk Utility looking pretty much the same it was quite a surprise to open it today in 10.11. I even tried running First Aid just to see what would happen.
There does not appear to be any way to Verify Permissions or repair them or to verify Mac HD just run and fix.
I'm trying to work out the implications of this. There have been times where I just wanted to Verify if there was a HD problem prior to repair, I assume we can still do this up to the point where it would suggest restarting from the RP.
What about permissions, I have definitely seen improvements after running Repair Permissions in some cases, does First Aid check both? If not why not?
I think I may be using Onyx a little more in future.;)

Slydude
07-26-2015, 01:46 PM
I hadn't noticed that Rod. I just checked and you're right it doesn't seem to be there. Verify/repair permissions doesn't seem to even be listed in the details. If the final release doesn't have the ability to verify permissions they better explain that otherwise there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

chscag
07-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Verifying and repairing permissions is overrated anyway. For some folks, it's like a pacifier (sorry Rod) but honestly, if there is a permissions problem it can be handled one on one or by using a third party utility such as OnyX. In all the years I've been using OS X, I've never had to use repair permissions to solve a problem.

pm-r
07-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Now after receiving a Notification that my computer needed to restart to complete installation and allowing it to count down I receive this text;22546

And now I have 5 downloads of the update showing in recent downloads.
Think I might try this again tomorrow. By the way clicking Show Details did nothing.

Not to sidetrack your thread too much Rod Sprague, but my Software Update had some similar problems last month, but that was just for some HP printer update, 99.9% of which I didn't even need, as per Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 1.38.49 PM.png below:

PS: BTW, there were no differences between the HP downloaded updates at all. :(

Slydude
07-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Has anyone else had difficulty with Mail filtering in the beta? I've had a problem since Yosemite, and perhaps before, where some things I want to receive go into the junk mailbox. Under Yosemite it usually affected some, but not all, Mac-Forums mail, Cult of Mac Weekender newsletter, and a few other more trivial things.

Until recently it was never consistent enough to make me consider retraining Mail's spam filter. I've noticed with El Capitan, especially since beta 2, Mac-Forums, Cult of Mac and Amazon e-mails seem to always end in the junk box.

Edit: Beta 2 fixed an issue for me where the Open With dialog did not function properly. When the dialog sheet appeared to choose the new app to open with no icons would appear. This was true even for common filetypes where I have several possible choices.

vansmith
07-26-2015, 06:14 PM
I've been running the iOS 9 beta on my 4th gen iPad. Thankfully, they fixed my major issue with transit (color coding lines used to be non-existent but they've added that). Transit still isn't perfect as it doesn't give me the option to prefer certain means of travel (I know, for instance, that taking the subway is faster than taking the bus to certain destinations but Maps won't let me choose that option if it gives me the bus one). The Command-Tab functionality is so very welcome. Seriously, this small feature is a welcome addition especially since every OS ever has had this functionality (Windows, OS X, Linux and Android all have this) and when you get used to having something available everywhere else, it feels jarring not having access to it.

It's certainly slower but I'll acknowledge that this is not only a beta but I'm using older (ish) hardware. I was curious to see if the new Notes app would convince me to migrate away from OneNote but given ON's superior organization functionality, I think I may stick with it for now (it's also no less integrated into iOS so it's not as if Notes is infinitely more convenient). Oh, and the lowercase keyboard is a very welcome addition. Honestly, it's a small change but it makes a world of difference.

Tygrz
07-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Something's odd here Rob. I only have one copy of that update. Installation and restart were as expected. No problems.

I had that same problem. I then clean-installed and it went as usual and expected. Have had similar scenarios with iMovie. I'm still getting update nags although I apparently have the latest release.

TattooedMac
07-26-2015, 08:29 PM
I've been running the iOS 9 beta on my 4th gen iPad. Thankfully, they fixed my major issue with transit (color coding lines used to be non-existent but they've added that). Transit still isn't perfect as it doesn't give me the option to prefer certain means of travel (I know, for instance, that taking the subway is faster than taking the bus to certain destinations but Maps won't let me choose that option if it gives me the bus one).

I'm still a little upset with Maps. I still can't for the life of me, change the route in a car I want to take. (and before anyone pops in and says "Maps knows what it is doing, let it choose the route for you and be happy and it works for me" you know who you are) I couldn't give a rats, where it sends me, I want to choose the route myself !!! Very disillusioned !!!

Onto the Beta, both are starting to look good, and very stable and going back to the 10.6 days, where everything worked.
iOS9 on my iPad Air 2 is just awesome !! Its the first time I have had every Handoff App appear on the screen when I grab it on my Home Network . . I can now fluently use all my devices, without issue of what I'm doing, and on what . . . .

Picture in Picture is blowing me away. I can happily work/play while watching that video I started 10 mins ago . . . Split screen is working out to be invaluable (shame its only for the iPad Air 2) :(( And I have been in touch with the Devs @Panic and Transmit, Diet Coda and StatusBoard will be SplitScreen close to day of release of iOS9 . . . Little disappointed they will have trouble with Prompt2 (iOS Terminal) because of Apple Restraints . . .

All in all, I'm happy to see, that we are getting back to SnowLeopard type stability and workability of the OS.

Rod Sprague
07-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Verifying and repairing permissions is overrated anyway. For some folks, it's like a pacifier (sorry Rod) but honestly, if there is a permissions problem it can be handled one on one or by using a third party utility such as OnyX. In all the years I've been using OS X, I've never had to use repair permissions to solve a problem.

I beleive I did say I may be using OnyX a little more in future and despite what you say about it being "overrated" handling a permissions problem "one on one" is only useful when you know where to look. It can also head off problems before they occur.
But that wasn't my only observation. There is also no Verify HD. Sometimes if one suspects a HD problem it's worth verifying as part of a process of elimination. That does not mean one wants to repair it on the spot. We all advise a backup before repairing a hard drive but First Aid appears to just do it, without telling us where the problem was.

Rod Sprague
07-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Not to sidetrack your thread too much Rod Sprague, but my Software Update had some similar problems last month, but that was just for some HP printer update, 99.9% of which I didn't even need, as per Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at 1.38.49 PM.png below:

PS: BTW, there were no differences between the HP downloaded updates at all. :(

Wow, thats a lot, I got up to 10 attempts in the end before giving up. Tried this morning and it downloaded first try. Not only that but it started where I left off at 1.22Gb.

Rod Sprague
07-27-2015, 04:12 AM
Has anyone else had difficulty with Mail filtering in the beta? I've had a problem since Yosemite, and perhaps before, where some things I want to receive go into the junk mailbox. Under Yosemite it usually affected some, but not all, Mac-Forums mail, Cult of Mac Weekender newsletter, and a few other more trivial things.

Until recently it was never consistent enough to make me consider retraining Mail's spam filter. I've noticed with El Capitan, especially since beta 2, Mac-Forums, Cult of Mac and Amazon e-mails seem to always end in the junk box.

Edit: Beta 2 fixed an issue for me where the Open With dialog did not function properly. When the dialog sheet appeared to choose the new app to open with no icons would appear. This was true even for common filetypes where I have several possible choices.

Another reason not to use Mail if you ask me. AirMail 2 doesn't even have a spam/junk filter. Instead it relies on a filter at the server end. Gmail is one example and they advise that if you do have a spam/junk filter on your mail client you should turn it off. It's a lot simpler to set up on the mail server than "retraining" Mail and having it on in your client as well can cause all sorts of problems.

Slydude
07-27-2015, 04:18 AM
We all advise a backup before repairing a hard drive but First Aid appears to just do it, without telling us where the problem was.

In the dialog that ask whether you want to run First Aid it does tell you that problems will be repaired. First Aid appears to tell you details about the process. When you click to start the process there is a small disclosure triangle that says "Details'. If you click there you get a report similar to / exactly like past Disk Utility reports.

There does not however appear to be a means of aborting the process either.

Slydude
07-27-2015, 04:27 AM
It's a lot simpler to set up on the mail server than "retraining" Mail and having it on in your client as well can cause all sorts of problems.

Until recently I haven't had significant issues running Mail's filter in addition to what the server is doing. Gmail isn't really a problem for me right now. It's filtering on my iCloud account that is eating those emails.

Rod Sprague
07-27-2015, 04:49 AM
In the dialog that ask whether you want to run First Aid it does tell you that problems will be repaired. First Aid appears to tell you details about the process. When you click to start the process there is a small disclosure triangle that says "Details'. If you click there you get a report similar to / exactly like past Disk Utility reports.

There does not however appear to be a means of aborting the process either.

Oh, I didn't see that but then I just ran it on my 500Gb ext HD that I'm running the Beta on. It was very quick and found no problems, so I must have missed the disclosure triangle, thanks.:Blushing:

vansmith
07-27-2015, 09:57 AM
I couldn't give a rats, where it sends me, I want to choose the route myself !!!Yeah, this is one area where something like Google Maps has a clear advantage. As I noted, I can't "prefer" certain forms of transit which is incredibly useful. I want to be able to decide which forms I prefer (you can tell it to not include certain types of vehicles but that's not the same).

One thing I've noticed now as well since I did my first look on the blog - if you use the transit layer now, stops on major routes do actually appear. And the entrance labels for subway stations...those are wonderful (because it's not always obvious).

I really like the new font as well. I know that's a fairly minor change but it's very simple, clear and finds a nice balance between being present but not overbearing.

dtravis7
07-27-2015, 10:43 AM

So far not noticed that but my issue with the Beta are the Rules. I put them all in and they work. If I either Reboot or close down and re-open Mail, all the rules I entered are gone but the one default one that is there from the beginning. I have filed a 2nd bug report on it since it's still happening with the new Beta from the other day.

TattooedMac
07-27-2015, 11:36 PM
AirMail 2 doesn't even have a spam/junk filter. Instead it relies on a filter at the server end.

No you are right. The reason being, is because its meant to be a Gmail Alternative, and because Gmail, is meant to have a strong Spam filter in it, messing with it, trying to get rid of Spam on top of Spam, is problematic.
BUT . . . . If you have a few different clients, ie: Yahoo¡¡¡, Live, Hotmail and/or a me.com account, if you purchase SpamSieve (http://c-command.com/spamsieve/) I promise, you will never have to worry about Spam again. You can set Whitelists, use theirs, and then train in a 'right-click' and your done.
I bought SpamSieve, and have never looked back. It has only failed me maybe twice, but I couldn't live without it now. My inbox, is full of pure information I want in it . . . Give It a look with its free trial :)

Yeah, this is one area where something like Google Maps has a clear advantage. As I noted, I can't "prefer" certain forms of transit which is incredibly useful. I want to be able to decide which forms I prefer (you can tell it to not include certain types of vehicles but that's not the same).

One thing I've noticed now as well since I did my first look on the blog - if you use the transit layer now, stops on major routes do actually appear. And the entrance labels for subway stations...those are wonderful (because it's not always obvious).

I really like the new font as well. I know that's a fairly minor change but it's very simple, clear and finds a nice balance between being present but not overbearing.

We don't get Transit here, but I agree, the new San Fran font is very nice indeed . . .
Going over the limited Transit places, its not really obvious until you zoom right in, the detail of whats on the Maps. they have done quite well. It will be nice to see a World Wide application for this though. Check out London, and you can really see it all come into its own :)

chas_m
07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Re: an earlier comment on Apple Maps -- my experience when I input a desired location is that it will show me several possible routes (if that is an option, it often is here), and I can pick between them. If by chance it doesn't show some back-road option, I just drive onto the first of the back roads and it remaps as desired.

vansmith
07-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Going over the limited Transit places, its not really obvious until you zoom right in, the detail of whats on the Maps. they have done quite well.Speaking of zooming, I accidentally two finger panned today and didn't realize that you could view places at what is basically street level with 3D models for the buildings. It's...oddly fascinating.

TattooedMac
07-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Re: an earlier comment on Apple Maps -- my experience when I input a desired location is that it will show me several possible routes (if that is an option, it often is here), and I can pick between them. If by chance it doesn't show some back-road option, I just drive onto the first of the back roads and it remaps as desired.

That is all well and good for something where you know where your going, and yes it does work as such, but for me to send directions to Family/Friends, and/or if I need to send in a map to DVA so I can reclaim Travel Expenses, it doesn't really work. I still have to goto Google Maps for this.

Speaking of zooming, I accidentally two finger panned today and didn't realize that you could view places at what is basically street level with 3D models for the buildings. It's...oddly fascinating.

Yes that is pretty cool and oddly fascinating. Especially for someone that has never been to that particular City :)

Rod Sprague
07-28-2015, 09:43 PM
From my point of view living in Mas, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia maps is next to useless. Maps is going to have to incorporate a lot more location information before it becomes the tourist information resource of choice. While Google Maps provides travel time, accommodation, restaurant and major attraction information all over the island Maps on the other hand only provides scant navigational information about how to get from one location to another with nothing other than main routes shown.
It may have passable information for world major cities but for lesser known locations it is next to useless. despite registering my business location here a number of times a search continues to take me to a site near Oslo in Sweden.:Angry:

vansmith
07-28-2015, 10:18 PM
I still have to goto Google Maps for this.Have you given Here Maps a try? I read an article which suggested that Nokia has put an amazing amount of effort into it, on a scale comparable to (if not better than) Google. It's not the prettiest map but it's pretty stellar.

Maps is going to have to incorporate a lot more location information before it becomes the tourist information resource of choice.Google Maps works better because, not only did they have a head start, but they do business in data so the more they have, the more they can sell. Apple sells devices so they target those markets that generate revenue for them which is why transit, for example, was rolled out in locations that drive Apple's business.

Rod Sprague
07-28-2015, 11:14 PM
Vansmith, I understand and agree completely with what you say, different target market, different focus. While in Melbourne I found Maps quite good but you need a different app completely to keep up with Melbourne's erratic public transport system which is available from the Public Transport Authority.
I will however follow your suggestion and give Here Maps a try.
Cheers,
Rod

Rod Sprague
07-28-2015, 11:24 PM
OK, tried Here Maps and I admit I'm probably using an unfair example but we have a little rental place in Manggis on the East coast of Bali. Here Maps shows a similar lack of detail as Maps in this example with no side roads marked or named, just the main road. Google Maps on the other hand not only names the small secondary road to our place but even names the small variety store on the corner. Hard to beat that.:)

pm-r
07-29-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm OT here Rod, but just thought I'd mention that looks like a pretty nice and interesting place to live!!

But what's the Manggis Sub-District they refer to in a lot of the photos in Google Maps for Manggis, Bali?

Rod Sprague
07-29-2015, 12:36 AM
Bali is divided into Provinces, Districts, Sub-districts and Villiages.
For example, Gianyar (Province), Ubud (District), Mas (Sub- district), Tarokan (Villiage)

pm-r
07-29-2015, 12:46 AM
Bali is divided into Provinces, Districts, Sub-districts and Villiages.
For example, Gianyar (Province), Ubud (District), Mas (Sub- district), Tarokan (Villiage)

OK. Thanks for the info.

I felt like we were living in a place like that on Sunday as we got nailed with a torrential downpour that was officially measured at 24mm (1") per hour for a few hours at a school just half a kilometre away.

At least I imagine you get lots of rain from the looks of the lush green growth there.

Now back to Mac stuff!! ;)

Csmac
08-01-2015, 04:05 PM
On a clean install of the Beta how do you setup the standard 3-finger drag for the trackpad? I'm so used to it on Yosemite and before that it is a major problem for me on El Cap. The setup still isn't there after the Beta2 update. The only way I could get it was to clone my Yosemite system and install the Beta over it. Am I the only one, as I've never seen it mentioned anywhere as a problem?

Cliff

Csmac
08-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Sorry for replying to my own post.

Found that they moved the setting for the 3 finger drag to the Accessibility group/mouse & trackpad. Wonder what the reasoning to move it from the Trackpad setup. Oh, well.

Cliff

chas_m
08-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Rod: in my experience with Apple Maps, the level of detail (streets and such) increases as you zoom in, in an effort to keep Maps very readable rather than cluttered. I have no idea if that would make a difference in your particular case, but that exact thing worked for me when trying to find a small one-way street that wasn't visible on the original view, and only turned up when I zoomed in.

In unrelated news, I'm pleased to report that the third public beta/fifth developer beta of iOS appears to have fixed the issue with the Mac-Forums iPad app, which is now working again. Huzzah!

dtravis7
08-07-2015, 01:53 AM
Rod: in my experience with Apple Maps, the level of detail (streets and such) increases as you zoom in, in an effort to keep Maps very readable rather than cluttered. I have no idea if that would make a difference in your particular case, but that exact thing worked for me when trying to find a small one-way street that wasn't visible on the original view, and only turned up when I zoomed in.

Chas, I have a question for you since you know Apple Maps probably better than I do. Is there a way to get Street View like Google Maps does? So far I have not found it.

chas_m
08-07-2015, 02:18 AM
Dennis: no. Apple Maps doesn't have a street-level view ... but stay tuned, Apple has been using vans all over the world to implement this feature in a future version of Maps. I doubt it will be ready beyond perhaps the US in time for this fall, but its an ongoing effort so, like the innumerable silent additions Apple has made to Maps over the years, street view will arrive worldwide in due course.

dtravis7
08-07-2015, 02:36 AM
Dennis: no. Apple Maps doesn't have a street-level view ... but stay tuned, Apple has been using vans all over the world to implement this feature in a future version of Maps. I doubt it will be ready beyond perhaps the US in time for this fall, but its an ongoing effort so, like the innumerable silent additions Apple has made to Maps over the years, street view will arrive worldwide in due course.

Thanks for that Chas. Looking forward to it!

Csmac
08-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Well, in Beta3 they broke XtraFinder again and got rid of the "nvram boot-args=rootless=0" developer unsigned driver workaround. Grrrr............... Anyone know of another work around?

So far everything else seems ok.

Cliff

chscag
08-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Public Beta 4 is now available for download.

And a quick reminder about the public beta of Office 2016: It has expired; the only option you have is to activate (purchase or subscribe).