Want to add Win 7 to iMac

Reaction score
Im a new Mac owner and would like to add Win 7 32 bit to my mid 2011 - 21.5 OS 10.10.4 iMac. I have Illustrator for Win but it doesn't run well on my 32 bit processor and hoping it will run better on an intel processor.

I am needing good instructions on how to add Win 7 to my iMac.

I am also wanting to add 4gb more RAM if this will help also.

I have 482 GB of storage left.

If someone could either explain or send me to really good instructions.

Thanks so much, Tammy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Im a new Mac owner and would like to add Win 7 32 bit to my mid 2011 - 21.5 OS 10.10.4 iMac. I have Illustrator for Win but it doesn't run well on my 32 bit processor and hoping it will run better on an intel processor.

Uh, what? Unless are running one of those early Microsoft Surface devices that ran on an ARM-based architecture, then your processor is an Intel.

I am needing good instructions on how to add Win 7 to my iMac.

It'll be better to provide a link to a tutorial.
How to Install Windows on a Mac With Boot Camp
I am also wanting to add 4gb more RAM if this will help also.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to be sure you get the correct RAM, with all the modules having identical specs and, ideally, the same make. I recommend just replacing what you have with what you need. OWC is a vendor many of us use and trust. You can get exactly what you need by plugging in the model of your Mac on their site:
MyOWC at OtherWorldComputing.com

As for actually replacing the modules, take a look at the guides on iFixIt:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+RAM+Replacement/5660

OP
T
Reaction score
Uh, what? Unless are running one of those early Microsoft Surface devices that ran on an ARM-based architecture, then your processor is an Intel

Ooopsss. What I meant to say is that I have an AMD processor with a 32 bit Win 7 and I'm sure Illustrator would run better on the newer Mac.

Thanks for your help

OP
T
Reaction score
While reading the article from the link above, it brings up a question for me.

I am only wanting to run Illustrator on Win 7 since I have that software. I am really only using Photoshop and Lightroom on the Mac.

My question, do you think it would be best then to just use Parallels? Sounds much easier to me and I'm not a gamer.

Reaction score
Hey tammy1999,
I have been using Parallels for a while, and it is a great solution for practicality. You don't have to reboot into Windows etc. You will get better performance running directly from the Hardware (using Bootcamp to install windows) though, so it pretty much depends on the work you will be doing on Illustrator.

Do you use it a lot ? Do you work on files that require lots of performance ?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi LauGH

I've been using Illustrator on my Win 32bit computer and when I start using more graphics, it doesn't want to work as well and I can't up date to 64 bit

I'm not on it all the time because I mainly use Lightroom and Photoshop

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@tammy1999:

Just for your info... you can not install a 32 bit version of Windows 7 on your 2011 iMac using Boot Camp. Your iMac will only accept the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It's probably best to take member "LauGH" advice and use virtual software.

C

chas_m

Or move up to Illustrator CC. One of the nicest things about the modern "subscription" thing Adobe does is that you can opt to download Illustrator and just pay for a month's use on those occasions when you actually need to use it. I believe it's $30 per month on that "as needed" basis, you'll want to check on that.

This saves you tons of money compared to buying it standalone (which you can't even do anymore), and brings you the latest version (HUGE improvements in recent years), full support, automatic updates during the time you have it active. Of course, the files you create in AI can be exported into formats other vector drawing programs can read as well, so you don't lose the ability to open or edit the work if you're not using AI that month necessarily.

Or, you can look at more modern alternatives. Ever heard of Affinity Designer?

Bottom line: you certainly CAN pursue the plan of using a virtualizer to run your old Win-based AI, but there are other options you might consider that might be better, long-term.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or, you can look at more modern alternatives. Ever heard of Affinity Designer?

And, it's currently on sale for $39.99. Follow the link chas_m posted and take a look at what it's capable of. Really amazing for the price!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.