• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Ooh.. and the rumors begin (or continue, rather).

Link

primary concnern is security
it gets switchers
no need to dual boot .. heh heh heh

I think Apple could pull it off with strenous security measures.

Among other things, I think Leopard will also have a great new finder based off spotlight.

<discuss>

K

Kokopelli

It would be the first "consumer" attempt at virtualization and would allow the use of Windows on a Mac in a supportable fashion of sorts. Apple would not have to support or sell Windows, merely support the virualiations mechanism.

Security would also be my primary concern, though for this to perform well it will need lots of memory. 1.25 GB at the least, really I would not be happy under 2GB.

Finder is the odd bird of OS X. I am not sure why it is still around in its current incarnation. I am not sure how I would improve it, but I know it could be done better. (The continuing tirades on the Finder have some ideas, PathFinder others, and maybe some elements of the delayed FileRun.)

I have littler ambitions. first make spotlight smartfolders accessible as file system folders. I would like to be able to navigate to them in terminal just as I would any other folder. second improve the interface for building queries. Fine, leave a default one so people can wade in the kiddie pool, but give me the deep end. Look at MoRu as an exmple of what I mean. Not that is a useful Spotlight query engine.

Quartz 2D Extreme would be nice. Most thought it would be in Tiger but they just taunt us by having it there but disabling it.

I feel I should be able to think of more but that seems to be all that is coming out of my head. If I did not have QS I would probably complain about Finder more, or maybe I would use launchbar or butler. <shrug>

Long way to go till August though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The rumors about virutalization have been floating around for 6 or 8 months now. This article is the first that I have seen to give the capability a name. Many wondered why Apple chose to go with the EFI knowing full well that Windows would have issues, and I have always believed that this was why. For those Mac users who want to run Windows, for whatever reason, this will be a godsend. To those Windows users switching, this will be a nice fallback to something familiar. There will always be the crowd that simply wants to run Windows on Mac hardware, and they have their hack to do so.

OP
Pierre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I will use this (if it happens) for those odd programs that are Windows only. I don't want to see Windows, I don't want to hear Windows, I don't want to speak Windows.

Catch my drift, Apple? No Windows.

Just click on a Windows App. Boom. It works. It would totally get rid of the argument "but my software won't work on a Mac ... whaaaa"

Pierre said:
I will use this (if it happens) for those odd programs that are Windows only. I don't want to see Windows, I don't want to hear Windows, I don't want to speak Windows.

Catch my drift, Apple? No Windows.

Just click on a Windows App. Boom. It works. It would totally get rid of the argument "but my software won't work on a Mac ... whaaaa"

but wouldnt we run the risk of companies not developing mac versions if the windows version can run on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even worse, you would have to deal with all of the crappy Windows software out there causing havoc on your Mac like it does on Windows.

No thanks, they can keep the windows garbage, if the software developers don't want to write a Mac version, then it's their loss not ours.

S

Santos

I, frankly, don't like the idea. Like most Mac users, I switched to get away from windows, besides the beautifulness of a Mac. Now basically running a joint operation is, to me, pointless. Yes, you'll be able to run Windows programs, but if you wanted to do that so bad, go back to Windows. This virtualization is going to make Macs virus centrals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps, but the viruses will only impact the Windows partitions, not the Mac side.

S

Santos

But with the virtualization, you will be ab;e to run windows apps without restart or using a boot loader, the programs just run. So it might affect he Mac OS as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Pierre said:

Sometimes it isn't that easy on a real PC. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
If a PROGRAM can run, then a virus can run too effecting the OS it is running on, (Mac OS X). A virus is, after all, just a program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Les Exposé said:
Oh yer your such a expert

Care to explain that or you just being an ***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aantoine90 said:
If a PROGRAM can run, then a virus can run too effecting the OS it is running on, (Mac OS X). A virus is, after all, just a program.

Care to explain how a Windows virus is going to infect the Mac side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Les Exposé said:
Oh yer your such a expert

So much about an intelligent post... :cool:

Fact is that on a Mac with both system installed, the OS X part still remains an HFS+ partition, which can't even be seen by Windows, thus by any virus.

Though it might be possible to write a virus or malicious software that is able to write to a HFS+ partition, it would take a lot of expertise, and it would be very time consuming.

So nobody will even care...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
aantoine90 said:

Even if the program runs in a virtualized environment, it wouldn't be able to interfere with files on a HFS+ partition.
Technically the program (incl. virus) will run under the Windows OS, which has no access to the OS X partition.

Reaction score
Nobody would care, because how many people effectively have a Boot Camp setup to start with. So who'll write a virus for those few thousand. (Few hundred at the moment.)

Besides, making a code to exploit a windows hole to go and exploit a hfs partition and THEN try exploit OS X (which in itself is a task getting harder by the week) is a bit far fetched to think someone will do that.

H

Harryc

I don't get why anyone would be against virtualization in a Mac OS. Clearly it is a useful tool to some, and if you don't like it you don't have to run it. It could also easily be an add on application (like X11 is today) so you don't have to install it unless you want to. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
wouldn't the most secure thing to do is put xp on is own HD so virus wont spread?

L

lil

I suppose if you really want to understand spread of virii from a 'virtual' machine session to the host terminal as it were, you could look up on Google or the likes the incidence of this happening on non Apple VM systems.

E.g.: VMWare hosting Windows on a Linux machine.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.