PDA

View Full Version : iOS 8.4 loses Home Sharing

Raz0rEdge
07-02-2015, 01:15 PM
A word of warning to those users using their iOS devices and Home Sharing to access media on your computers, this feature has been removed from iOS 8.4..

Read more: Apple kills Home Sharing for music in iOS 8.4 (http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/02/apple-home-sharing-ios-8-4/)

Lifeisabeach
07-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Amazing how this is a "known issue" according to the release notes. I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with the streaming service. Why let people share what they own for free if you can get them to pay for the streaming service?

bboggess
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I actually read about this yesterday before I was going to upgrade my Mac Mini, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I use Home Sharing around the house all the time as I have quite a large iTunes library. I have absolutely no desire to upload my iTunes library with cloud sharing. On the road, I stream Spotify. I only intend to pay for 1 service.

As I would like to upgrade my systems, are there any music streaming alternatives?

Bill

Lifeisabeach
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
I actually read about this yesterday before I was going to upgrade my Mac Mini, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I use Home Sharing around the house all the time as I have quite a large iTunes library. I have absolutely no desire to upload my iTunes library with cloud sharing. On the road, I stream Spotify. I only intend to pay for 1 service.

As I would like to upgrade my systems, are there any music streaming alternatives?

That depends on what you are streaming to. If it's an Apple TV, then I think not (edit: you should be able to use AirPlay for audio to an ATV from most any app). To iPhone/iPad/Mac, then there are plenty. You can set up Plex Media Server and stream to any of those. There are other alternatives, though I'm not familiar with anything else. Plex works extremely well for video, so audio should be cake.

bboggess
07-02-2015, 08:10 PM
I've been thinking about Plex so I'll give it a look. Generally, I stream my music from my office (which is on the 2nd floor) to my iPhone when I'm in my basement workshop, or outside. I usually have earbuds in so I don't get too distracted by other people or to bluetooth speakers.

Thanks for reminding me of Plex.

Bill

chscag
08-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Perhaps, a link where I can read it? Thanks!

Go to the link provided in Post #1.

neilf
08-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Anyone know if this has been fixed in the latest IOS update?

Lifeisabeach
08-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Anyone know if this has been fixed in the latest IOS update?

I just checked and unless I'm missing something, it has NOT been fixed. I can only see shared videos, not music.

chscag
08-14-2015, 02:58 PM
There's been an update to iOS released today: iOS 8.4.1 which corrects some problems with Apple Music, however, I don't use it and do not know if sharing has been restored.

chas_m
08-16-2015, 02:46 AM
I can tell you for a fact that homesharing for music is back in IOS 9, but I can't remember if it's planned to be put back before then. Anyone who is missing it, just hang tight.

Bryen6611
08-21-2015, 11:29 AM
It's not Good, I think it should be fixed, guys what would you suggest?
Should I keep any hope regarding this issue?

chscag
08-21-2015, 02:42 PM
As usual with any fix from Apple, you'll just have to wait on it. Also take note from previous posts that it has been fixed in iOS 9 which is forthcoming this Fall. You need to learn to read through an entire thread. ;)

chas_m
10-05-2015, 03:37 AM
For the love of all that's holy Vijay, READ THE THREAD. This issue was resolved MONTHS ago.

chscag
10-05-2015, 04:03 AM
He's a spammer chas. He will be banned very shortly. You overlooked his links which are full of ads.