El Capitan: Boot Camp Not Getting Recognized By Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad 16 GB Wi-Fi
****, I got excited to try out the new features in El Capitan that instead of making another virtual machine, installed it on my main OS.

I use this for work and i have a boot camp partition that I also use for work (Develop apps that links to our main system [Windows Based])

After I updated to the beta version, I couldn't start up my Boot Camp partition using Parallels, I tried everything.

Installing with out a source and trying to select my boot camp, but it can't be found.

I booted off windows so I know its fine, anyone have any suggestions? Am I screwed?

My Boot Camp partition doesn't even show up :\

25r36hd.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
****, I got excited to try out the new features in El Capitan that instead of making another virtual machine, installed it on my main OS.

I use this for work and i have a boot camp partition that I also use for work (Develop apps that links to our main system [Windows Based])

Maybe there's a detail that wasn't mentioned…or maybe I missed a detail. But why would you install a beta version of the Mac OS that isn't supposed to be released until the Fall…on your main computer or work computer…when there's a very good chance of glitches like this occurring.

After I updated to the beta version, I couldn't start up my Boot Camp partition using Parallels, I tried everything.

This is a pretty confusing statement. "Bootcamp" and "Parallels" are two completely different ways to install Windows on a Mac. The two terms shouldn't even be used in the same sentence when describing a single installation of Windows on a Mac. In other words…there's no way Parallels should have anything to do with an install of Windows via Bootcamp.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad 16 GB Wi-Fi
Maybe there's a detail that wasn't mentioned…or maybe I missed a detail. But why would you install a beta version of the Mac OS that isn't supposed to be released until the Fall…on your main computer or work computer…when there's a very good chance of glitches like this occurring.

This is a pretty confusing statement. "Bootcamp" and "Parallels" are two completely different ways to install Windows on a Mac. The two terms shouldn't even be used in the same sentence when describing a single installation of Windows on a Mac. In other words…there's no way Parallels should have anything to do with an install of Windows via Bootcamp.

- Nick

Again, I explained that i was bit excited.

Boot Camp and Parallels are related. If I make a Boot Camp partition on a Mac, I can use the boot camp on parallels as a virtual machine.

I already had a boot camp partition that i was using with parallels on Yosemite, once i changed to El Capitan, there were bugs.

Anyone know solutions?

It does show up on Finder though

2nbbthd.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Again, I explained that i was bit excited.

The most important point is…beta software (especially OS beta software)…should ONLY be installed on a completely separate partition on a computer…so it has no interactions with the computers "main" OS install…and installed apps.

This situation may or may not be repairable. The only suggestion I can make is:

- Boot into the computers Recovery Partition.
- And reinstall the OS.

Hopefully this cures things.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably because "El Capitan" modified the EFI boot sector when you installed it and that in turn affects the Boot Camp partition. Happens quite often when installing a new version of OS X. You're probably looking at reinstalling Windows 8.1.

And... we really can't be expected (nor will we) provide advice or support for the beta version of El Capitan until it's released to the public as an official public beta.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's probably because "El Capitan" modified the EFI boot sector when you installed it and that in turn affects the Boot Camp partition. Happens quite often when installing a new version of OS X. You're probably looking at reinstalling Windows 8.1.

And... we really can't be expected (nor will we) provide advice or support for the beta version of El Capitan until it's released to the public as an official public beta.

found a solution, heres a solution to open Xcode6 on El Capitan

To Launch Xcode (Release Version) on Beta version of OS X. Enter this in Terminal : /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

To enable Boot Camp Partition on a Beta version of OS X. Enter this in Terminal: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0”

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you've recovered. However, not everyone has the ability to mess with terminal. ;) And how come you're not beta testing the Windows 10 Preview? Or are you?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you've recovered. However, not everyone has the ability to mess with terminal. ;) And how come you're not beta testing the Windows 10 Preview? Or are you?

I thank the computer gods for this one.

im not a terminal expert either, i just do VERY little things on commandprompt (remember when it was called MS-DOS? LOL) and powershell like ipconfig and copy files.

but all you need to do is put in that code in to terminal and it works.

Hmm i haven't first hand installed on my computer because this is my work computer, but I'm gonna check it out.

I've played around with it with other people's installation. Looks pretty good, rumored to become free, but i doubt it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've played around with it with other people's installation. Looks pretty good, rumored to become free, but i doubt it.

No rumor. Microsoft has said it will be free for those who own a license to Windows 7. It will install over Windows 7 using the same activation code.

And yes, I remember MS-DOS well. I still have an old MS-DOS 3.3 manual with commands sitting on my ancient software shelf. I finally threw out my copy of Norton Commander and bunch of other DOS stuff left over from the last century. ;D

Reaction score
Boot Camp missing

Installing with out a source and trying to select my boot camp, but it can't be found.

I booted off windows so I know its fine, anyone have any suggestions? Am I screwed?

My Boot Camp partition doesn't even show up :\

25r36hd.png

Here’s what I found – give it a try: KB Parallels: The Boot Camp partition /dev/disk0s1 used by Hard Disk is missing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.