stop itunes from launching automatically

Reaction score
Been trying to search the answer but keep finding irrelevant posts. Whenever I connect bluetooth headphones or press the play/pause button itunes takes it as a cue to launch and start playing. For instance, I'll be playing something in vlc and pausing it using the play/pause button on my headphones will launch itunes and play over the top. Quite annoying really.

Can this be stopped and vlc be used instead or just stop it doing things automatically altogether?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's probably possible to do what you want but the procedure probably varies depending upon the specific make/model of headphones involved. Which model(s) have you tried? Also which OS version and iTunes version are you running?

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm using whatever the latest version of mavericks and itunes is. I would have thought it has nothing to do with the headphones as regardless of the model all they're doing is sending a 'play/pause' command no different to what the keyboard button does.

Is there a way of configuring how this button or command behaves?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.