PDA

View Full Version : MacKeeper Refunds

Randy B. Singer
06-03-2015, 08:52 PM
ZeoBit, publisher of MacKeeper, lost their class-action suit filed against them last year and is making refunds available to purchasers of MacKeeper:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2927032/ads-for-mackeeper-refunds-will-run-on-facebook.html

chscag
06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I saw that in a Macworld article. Thanks for posting it Randy.

And I moved it here instead of the Apps and Games forum.

TattooedMac
06-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Charlie, can we get this Stickied at all, because it would be a great place to point "all those people asking about MacKeeper"?? EDIT : Just for at least a month or 2 until this thing gets out to the people ??

Anyway, I went to finish the Article then this one popped up at the bottom MacKeeper celebrates a difficult birthday under the cloud of a class action lawsuit | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2919292/apple-security-program-mackeeper-celebrates-difficult-birthday.html) and I paid particular attention to this :

AV Comparatives, an Austrian company that evaluates antivirus programs, recently tested the latest trial version of MacKeeper at the request of IDG News Service. It was installed on a fresh, fully patched version of OS X Yosemite, Apple’s latest operating system. In theory, the system should have had no problems.

MacKeeper warned in red in several places with exclamation points that the computer’s condition was “serious” due to more than 500MB of “junk” files.

After fixing 85 files for free, it warned more than 1,500 need cleaning—but only if the full version of the program was purchased. Those that supposedly need cleaning up included language files.

BAD, VERY BAD people they are. . . . .

lclev
06-03-2015, 11:17 PM
The article states it was a 2 million settlment of which 1/3 goes to the lawyers. Over 513,330 people purchased MacKeeper at $39.95 each for a total of 20.4 million which means if they all file they will get pennies in a refund.

The second article really indicates what the big problem is. It alerts on problems in a fresh install? And a lot of the alerts involve innocuous language files? Really??? That says it all.

Sad that they will still be selling it too.

Lisa

Exodist
06-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Hopefully they will eventually get banned from selling it and end this issue all together.. Sad those who bought it would only get chump change compared to what they spent buying and then having their computer fixed from its screwing their system up. Not to mention collateral damage to personal files.

harryb2448
06-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Doubt it Exodist. Gosh I hate spell check programs. Insists I mean Exodus lol!

The last line of the article shows they are still defending it and have no doubt continue selling it.

Exodist
06-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Doubt it Exodist. Gosh I hate spell check programs. Insists I mean Exodus lol! I know right.. Mac spell checking is anything but multi linguil friendly.

The last line of the article shows they are still defending it and have no doubt continue selling it. LOL they got a better chance of defending lead gas. Unless they spend all their money on layers.. Double edged sword they are playing with.

chas_m
06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
I hate to sound cynical, but why wouldn't they keep selling it unless legally barred from doing so? It clearly makes at least 10x the money it costs to defend.

TattooedMac
06-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I hate to sound cynical, but why wouldn't they keep selling it unless legally barred from doing so? It clearly makes at least 10x the money it costs to defend.

No, not cynical.

The problem Exodist, there isn't a Internet Police, and it would be very hard to find a jurisdiction to be able to enforce the Law. The what Law would they enforce ??
Theere are more important people out there to grab as well, lie the Torrent Sites, and seeing as they are still up and going, I highly doubt, someone will go after these scumbags, for little to no return, just to stop them making MacKeeper, which in all fairness, does something, just not a good thing . . .

sllewk
07-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Hi all Mac lovers, in the early days of Apple mac ownership and years of the Dreaded Windows a name like MacKeeper has a big influence on the new Apple Owner. In their ignorance they think it is a good thing to have, I was one of those ignorant new owners who down loaded that awful bit of useless software. OK I was not aware of these forums, no-one told me about these wonderful forums, so I took the bait! It would be a good idea if Apple Mac were to add a small note in all their boxes about Apple Mac Forums as it would save a lot of grief for new owners. Since then I now own an Apple Mac Mini purchased from my local Apple outlet and " MacKeeper" will never darken my Apple Mac's display. The forum is awsome, lots of advice to be had if only you look on the forum. Withat said I thank you all for the help given so freely. Keith in ENGLAND.

vansmith
07-07-2015, 11:40 AM
It would be a good idea if Apple Mac were to add a small note in all their boxes about Apple Mac Forums as it would save a lot of grief for new owners.I'm sure the owners of this forum would love that but since this is an independently run forum, I don't see that happening. ;)

Slydude
07-07-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm sure the owners of this forum would love that but since this is an independently run forum, I don't see that happening. ;)
Wait . .. You mean we don't have a direct pipeline to Tim Cook and the gang at Cupertino? :oWe should put someone in charge of that. Not me of course, but somebody.

vansmith
07-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Wait . .. You mean we don't have a direct pipeline to Tim Cook and the gang at Cupertino? :oWe should put someone in charge of that. Not me of course, but somebody.Well, since you brought it up, you've implicitly volunteered yourself. ;)

rabbitjetta
07-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I am happy to see that people are starting to get their money back from a company that was scamming people out of their money.

Randy B. Singer
12-07-2015, 03:39 AM
The MacKeeper folks were sued it two different actions this past year, and they lost both times. Owners of MacKeeper were entitled to a settlement sum:
http://www.classactionrebates.com/settlements/mackeeper/
But the time period to apply for a rebate has passed.

Neither suit required MacKeeper to be pulled from the market. It is still being sold. However, it's reputation has been sullied. So...guess what they have done?

What we've been seeing is a bunch of brand new utilities appearing out of the blue from a bunch of software developers that no one has ever heard of before. Can you guess what all of these utilities are under the skin?

I recommend that you stay away from third party maintenance and "cleaning" utilities in general, but especially stay away from those that no one has heard of before and/or those that come from unknown developers.