View Full Version : Splitting a movie into it's clips

05-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Is there any way to take an existing iMovie and split it back into it's original individual clips?
I am using Version 10.0.8.

I apologize if this is a very elementary question, I am not well versed on iMovie.

Thanks, John

05-08-2015, 12:13 PM
As far as I know, once a movie has been encoded, it's "stuck" (in that the original clips no longer exist as independent parts). I may be wrong but I don't think this is possible. Do you no longer have access to the originals?

05-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks much! That's what I figured might be the case. No, I had to do a O.S. reinstall (Yosemite) and lost the original clips. Thanks agin for the info.

05-09-2015, 07:36 AM
The only thing I can think of to solve this would be to manually split the movie into parts again. Might be somewhat time consuming though depending upon the length of the movie.

05-09-2015, 08:36 AM
You can take the original, trim to your first clip, share it out to a file then go back and adjust your trims for the second clip and share it out to a file. It would be time consuming - how long depends on the length of the clip.

05-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Is there no Time Machine backup available?

05-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I might try splitting the clips. It would take a while, but I'm retired so I have a few extra minutes every once in awhile. lol

No, I don't have it on a backup unfortunately.

Thanks again,