How can I get Gracenote info for imported songs?

Reaction score
I sometimes import songs when I'm offline and so I don't get the Gracenote info. How can I get info after the fact for tracks I've already imported?

C

chas_m

Who's offline anymore??? :)

The answer is you can't, really, so be sure to be online when importing songs. You can of course manually enter your imported songs that lack the info by simply selecting the track and pressing command-i (or go to the menu and choose "get info") and then entering that information. You can even select multiple tracks (from say an imported album) and fill in the common information (album title, artist, year, genre) all at once.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Actually chas_m that's not quite true according to Apple.

If you don’t see song information

When you insert a CD in your computer’s disc drive (or a SuperDrive connected to your computer), iTunes finds the CD in the Gracenote media database on the Internet and displays the name and other track information for each song. If songs appear as “Track 01,” “Track 02,” and so on, either you aren’t connected to the Internet or iTunes can’t find the CD’s information.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, you can import the songs anyway, and look up the CD information the next time you’re connected.

Look up CD information in the Gracenote media database
Make sure you're connected to the Internet.

In iTunes, select a song or songs (hold down the Shift key to select multiple adjacent songs, or the Command key to select multiple nonadjacent songs).

Click Options The CD options button near the top right of the iTunes window, and choose Get Track Names.

Select the entry for the CD.

If there's more than one entry, select one (a CD can have more than one entry if more than one person submitted information for the same CD to the Gracenote service); if it doesn't include the correct information, choose Get Track Names again, and choose another entry.

I only found this out this weekend as I was sure it had been possible in the past but was unsure how to do it with the current version of iTunes.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is also another way I discovered by accident. Start by clicking Playlists at the top of the items window to restore the sidebar, then select Songs from the drop-down menu at the top-right of the iTunes window — this takes you back to the old column view.
Now if you can find your Untitled album with Track 1, Track 2 you can select them all holding the shift button and right click, you will see Get Track Names, Artwork and a number of other useful commands in this menu.

C

chas_m

Nice! Glad to see some changes in this area, though who knows how long ago they were implemented.

Reaction score
actually this is easy right click the album and select get album artwork not all that hard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.