No-Bootable Device Error

Reaction score
I have searched, and typed every search query I can think of in google and watched multiple videos, the only hing left to do is wipe my drive. But before I do that I wanted to see if anyone could help me.

Please note, I HAD Windows 7 installed on this exact computer with the same USB 3.0 thumb drive I am currently using a few months. I recently deleted the partition to make it bigger,and now I can NOT reinstall Windows.

What I am trying to do.
-Install windows 7 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

What troubleshooting have I tried.
-modified the info.plyst multiple times.
  • Added my hardware #
  • Removed "Pre" from the USB line.
  • Reset my PRAM
  • I have even tried installing on a USB 2.0 drive.
  • Tried different USB ports.
  • Held option key down......nothing but Mac HD drive shows up.

After going through BC process, I always end up with
NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - INSERT BOOT DISC AND PRESS ANY KEY

Please, provide me with any info

OP
U
Reaction score
just to add.

When I removed/deleted the windows partition a few days ago I did this by deleting it from the Mac side, under disk utility. I dont know if that bit of information helps.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Windows partition should have been deleted using the BootCamp Assistant - same method it was created.

What you can try, is head back into Disk Utility and enlarge the OS X partition to take up the entire drive.
(Grab the bottom right corner of the OS X partition and drag it down.)
BootCamp Assistant will not allow you to set up Windows on a drive with more than a single full disk partition.

And don't do that until you have a current backup in place.

Never muck about with the partitions without a current backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe someone else has some ideas to put forth but looking at your screen shot:

I do not see a Recovery Partition showing at all, and you have unformatted - unallocated space between your Macintosh HD and your Boot Camp partition. This is very likely the reason the Boot Camp assistant won't work nor can you drag the Macintosh HD partition boundary to fill.

My opinion.... Backup your Macintosh HD, erase the entire drive and reinstall OS X. After reinstalling OS X, restore your Macintosh HD data. You can use Time Machine or something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make the backup. Once you get OS X running again you can attempt once more to create a Boot Camp partition and install Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.