Lost partition and unable to create another from this space

Reaction score
Hi. I've got problem with harddrive.
I had Windows installed via BootCamp. I created 2-nd partition for this. After OSX update 10.10.03 i lost access to Windows partition. I deleted this in disk tools and I wanted to create another partition from this free space, but nothing happens. The whole process took 1sec and nothing changed. I also tried to repair my disk in disk tools or after running Mac with Cmd + R. I have no idea what can I do. Thanks for helping.

Zrzut ekranu 2015-04-12 21.00.07.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your hard drive shows unformatted space between the Macintosh HD and the Boot Camp partition. Since you have no Recovery partition, there is no way to dismount the Macintosh HD and recover the lost space. Do you have an OS X boot disk with Disk Utility that you can use? If you do, you should be able to recover the lost space but then your Windows Boot Camp partition may still not work without re-installing. Also, Disk Utility shows that your Boot Camp partition is formatted as MS DOS FAT. You can not install Windows on that partition. Windows will only install to a partition formatted to NTFS.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm going to create bootable pendrive with OS X Yosemite. I found some tutorials so it should be quite easy. What should I do after getting this pendrive with OS X? For now I would like to just recover the lost space. I'll try to install Windows in future, using BootCamp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can boot from the flash drive, use Disk Utility and select "Partition". Then drag the line from the bottom of your Macintosh HD to fill all the space before the Boot Camp partition. Then select "apply". If you still want to install Windows, instead of doing the above, first remove the Boot Camp partition. Then you can drag the line to fill the entire drive. After that, you can start over to install Windows using the Boot Camp assistant.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm still unable to move this free space. I booted from flash drive, choosed Disk Utility, tried to repair Macintosh HD and partition Macintosh HD but it didn't change anything. It looks that I don't have access to change something in this drive.
PS. Sorry for image's quality. I had to take a photo with my phone instead of screenshot.

Plik 13.04.2015, 23 05 43.jpeg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it looks like it won't allow you to extend or remove that other partition. The only way I know now to get things back to normal is first backup all your Macintosh HD data and wipe the drive clean. If you can boot from the flash drive, you should be able to erase the drive and then reinstall OS X. But make sure you backup everything.

OP
S
Reaction score
I thought that I'll be force to do this. I'll do this at weekend. I have to do some things for college. Could you tell me how it looks with passwords saved on iCloud? All of them should be there, right? I'm using iCloud Keychain and I don't want to lose them. Is it possible to backup Keychain on flash drive or it's allready saved online?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, all your passwords saved to iCloud should be there OK. If you're using iCloud Keychain for syncing your passwords from your Mac's Keychain to your iPhone and iPad, it will still work as long as you use the same Keychain data after restoring OS X. That's why it is so important to backup everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.