Mac Asked for Keychain password at Startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Never happened before (especially since I don't have keychain enabled). Started up my Mac this morning, and had a message that asked me to type in my Keychain password (which, as I said, doesn't exist). So, I've got malware/spyware I guess? In any case, I just hit the power button, restarted, but the Max had a few icons down in the dock that I'd removed long ago, but had all the ones I myself had added.

How do I get rid of it? Or is it something else? Is there a recommended by you all anti-spyware or anti-virus?

C

chas_m

First of all, Keychain is not an option. It's part and parcel of the system, so you can't turn it off.

You don't have a virus. What you much more likely have is a deteriorating system caused by lack of maintenance. The likely fix is to run Disk Utility and repair permissions, or better yet OnyX (constantly recommended around here).

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
First of all, Keychain is not an option. It's part and parcel of the system, so you can't turn it off.

You don't have a virus. What you much more likely have is a deteriorating system caused by lack of maintenance. The likely fix is to run Disk Utility and repair permissions, or better yet OnyX (constantly recommended around here).

Really? Interesting. Mostly because I've had the system for only a few months. So, I'll try as you say. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.