Can't overwrite boot loader

Reaction score
I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that was running Win 7 natively (no bootcamp). I wanted to install Yosemite on it so I made an image of the OS with a USB. I can't boot into the USB, all I see is the white screen and none of the key combinations work. I am able to boot into a CD and was able to install Ubuntu but it seems that the issue still persists. I've tried numerous things to get the boot loader back to stock but I can't seem to make it work. I was thinking of getting a smaller, older OS X ver that is able to fit on a CD/DVD and try to install that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM on your MacBook Pro first. And what happened to your original Leopard DVD set that came with the machine?

OP
V
Reaction score
Did that earlier, sorry, should have mentioned it. It honestly didn't do anything except made the chime much louder than it was. I kept the originals around for years but then they got lost in a move a few years back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did that earlier, sorry, should have mentioned it. It honestly didn't do anything except made the chime much louder than it was. I kept the originals around for years but then they got lost in a move a few years back.

OK, that' what I figured. Go on line to the Apple store and order a copy of Snow Leopard and use it to boot your MBP and install. Once you have Snow Leopard installed, you can access the Mac App Store and order Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite. Hopefully the optical drive on your machine still works... Snow Leopard sells for $19.99 from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.