WMware help

Reaction score
Hi. I am running a 21.5" late 2012 iMac with OS X 10.10.2 I also have Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition. When I am using Windows, it operates fine. In order to switch from one OS to the other, I need to restart and select which OS at startup. I want to be able to switch OS's without rebooting. OS X is my primary but I would like to have Windows available to quickly switch over to_Of course it is completely impractical to reboot every time. I am trying to use VMWare Fusion v7.0 to do this but no matter what I do, I keep getting the same error message:

"The operation on file "/dev/rdisk0s4" failed.If the file resides on a remote file system, make sure that the network connection and the server where this disk resides are functioning properly. If the file resides on removable media, reattach the media.
Select Retry to attempt the operation again.
Select Cancel to end this session.
Select Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system."

None of these instructions help at all. A while back I had a similar setup that worked no problem. I can't see what is different now but it sure is frustrating. Any ideas or help? Any more info required from me in order to assist?
Thanks if you can.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't used Fusion for quite some time but from memory, you have to tell Fusion to use your Boot Camp installation of Windows 7 to build the VM. Once it does that you'll be able to boot to Windows 7 from Fusion without rebooting your Mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
I haven't used Fusion for quite some time but from memory, you have to tell Fusion to use your Boot Camp installation of Windows 7 to build the VM. Once it does that you'll be able to boot to Windows 7 from Fusion without rebooting your Mac.

This is what I have tried to do. It does not work. When I open the application and get the "Select the installation method" window I go to "More options" and select "Install from Boot Camp" I get the error message outlined above. Same if I select "Create a custom VM.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll probably be better off asking for help on this in the Fusion Mac forums. Fusion 7 is compatible with Yosemite as far as I know and should be able to convert your Boot Camp installation to a VM. You may be missing something or your Windows 7 installation might be a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.