Sharing a Windows VM between two Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hello everyone,

Quick question, I have VMWare Fusion 7 Pro on a MacBook Pro which I run a Windows 7 Pro virtual machine on.

I have purchased a Mac Pro to use solely at home and keep my MBP for use on the road, however, I'd like both computers to run VMWare Fusion and the Win 7 VM.

My question is, will I need to purchase another copy of Windows if I run it on both machines?

As it is just a VM, the system spec shouldn't trigger re-activation as they will be identical (1core, 2Gb RAM, 512Mb VRAM) and they won't be used at the same time.

If I will need to get another copy, I'll probably put Windows 10 technical preview (or similar) on the MP to tide me over until Windows 10 is actually released.

Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is, will I need to purchase another copy of Windows if I run it on both machines?

As it is just a VM, the system spec shouldn't trigger re-activation as they will be identical (1core, 2Gb RAM, 512Mb VRAM) and they won't be used at the same time.

The Microsoft EULA is clear on this: You need a legal copy for each machine you run it on, so yes, you'll need to purchase another copy. The Microsoft Activation scheme looks at more than what you quoted. Whether or not the activation wizard kicks in, you still need another copy to remain legal.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi chscag,

Many thanks for clearing that up for me, I'll download a Win 10 preview build until the final build of the OS is released.

I only use it for two apps, one from 2001 and the other 2007 but they do come in handy quite often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.