Complete redo or?

Reaction score
I have formatted my USB to Mac Extended Journaled and run Boot Camp Assistant. It goes through the "downloading/saving windows support software" and all the other processes it reports during the progress bar.At no point do I have the option to determine partition size. When it gets to the end, I get a permission dialog box that says "Boot Camp Assistant is trying to add a new helper tool. Type your password to allow this." I do that and from this point on, there is nothing. The main BCA windows reads "The Windows support software has been saved" and "Install this support software after Windows has been installed" and Quit. There is nothing there after quitting.

Some time ago I had Windows running on my Mac but for some reason I deleted it. I don't remember how I removed it but may not have done it correctly. The old disk image is still showing with the same amount of space (100 GB) I allotted from the first time I made it. It also shows 19 folders and 57 files. I have tried erasing it, restoring it but it seems the same. Could this be the cause of my trouble? Remedies? What can I do to start from scratch or get things going?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If your running a OS X version ABOVE Snow Leopard) (it helps us more if you name your OS version and what Mac it is running on too) you can start from scratch by deleting that partition, and making a new one for Bootcamp. This way you have no issue with left over scraps, and you have a fresh canvas to put a new clean BootCamp on.
This is what i would do anyway. I wouldn't be bothering to work out what isn't working now, and start a fresh.

iPad Air 2 using Mac Forums App

OP
N
Reaction score
If your running a OS X version ABOVE Snow Leopard) (it helps us more if you name your OS version and what Mac it is running on too) you can start from scratch by deleting that partition, and making a new one for Bootcamp. This way you have no issue with left over scraps, and you have a fresh canvas to put a new clean BootCamp on.
This is what i would do anyway. I wouldn't be bothering to work out what isn't working now, and start a fresh.

Oh yes of course. I forgot to include that info. Oops. I know better than THAT at least. Yosemite 10.10.2 on a iMac 21.3 late 2012
I would be happy to completely delete the partition but I'm not sure how. Stupid but how do I delete it? The option to "Install or Remove or Windows 7 or later version" in the first part of BCA is dimmed and not an option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You need to open Disk Utility, and follow the 3 steps in the image below to erase the Partition, then use the BCA to make the new one, and install Windows onto it. #1 Main HD = The HD you have the Partition on.

1D0BdSI

OP
N
Reaction score
You need to open Disk Utility, and follow the 3 steps in the image below to erase the Partition, then use the BCA to make the new one, and install Windows onto it. #1 Main HD = The HD you have the Partition on.

1D0BdSI

Looks like what I was after. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The above will delete all partitions - including your OS X partition.

To delete only the Windows partition - head for the PArtition tab - select the Windows partition - hit the minus key below to delete it - then grab the bottom corner of the OS X partition and drag it down to take the whole drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.