Mini Display port works on battery, not mains.

Reaction score
Hey people, hope your all doing OK.

I have an issue with my Mini DP, and its driving me mad.

Whilst running on battery, the Mini DP to HDMI works fine, and I get a lovely picture on my TV.

If I plug the mac into mains because the battery is running low, the TV gets the old fashioned style static, then goes black.

If I plug in the mini DP whilst the mac is charging, the TV doesn't even recognise there has been a connection and the screen stays black

As you may guess, this is annoying during films.

I thought the first cable I purchased was faulty (Only had tried it on mains power) so the store give me another one, and I got to keep the old one!
I got home, and plugged in the new cable, and it worked, so I thought I had a dodgy cable, Untill I plugged into the mains.

I then retested the first, thought to be broken cable, on battery power, and success!
It wasn't the cable, it was my mac.

I own a Mid 2010 macbook pro running Yosemite (Fresh install) that I am happy with, its still fast enough for me.

The battery charge cycle is at 1170, could this be anything to do with it? I was thinking maybe the battery swells when power is applied, breaking the Mini DP connection?

Any help much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What's the mini DP you talk about?

OP
C
Reaction score
What's the mini DP you talk about?

It is a mini display port, a proprietary apple connection to output video and sound to other monitors. It has been replaced by the thunderbolt connection.

Maybe I've posted this in the wrong area? Is there a more tech savvy part of the forum, as the mini display port is a well known connection.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
C
Reaction score
Tried a SMC reset, still no joy. Outputs video and sound fine on battery power, but as soon as charger connected it wouldn't work. The charger actually broke yesterday and I had to order a new one, don't know if that could of been an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.