Win7 Upgrade question...

Reaction score
My son gave me a his Win7 upgrade disk to install on my 2012 MBP.
I'm running WinXP on VB so thought I'd try to install Win7.

In VirtualBox, click on the New icon started the install.

It installed ok, but when it asked for the Key #, which I have, it said the key was invalid.
Hadn't typed any errors, so I pressed Cancel, or maybe "OK", can't recall, but it just proceeded right on with the install and now I have what appears to be a full version of Win7.
Great!, Just wondering if anyone has had that experience?

Odd that it didn't accept the Key # but odder still that it kept installing..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Odd that it didn't accept the Key # but odder still that it kept installing..
It's not all that odd if the key was still registered to an activated copy of Windows 7 (ie. your son's). If the Windows install did finish, it's very possible that you'll be asked for one in the next 30 days or so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It installed ok, but when it asked for the Key #, which I have, it said the key was invalid.

That's because a Windows 7 upgrade disk can not upgrade from XP, only from Vista. You were allowed to continue the install because you are now in "trial" mode and as Vansmith pointed out you will be asked for the key again in 30 days. In order to avoid invalidating your Windows 7 install, just go ahead and install Windows 7 again over itself and then insert your key. It should then activate if the copy is legal.

OP
A
Reaction score
In order to avoid invalidating your Windows 7 install, just go ahead and install Windows 7 again over itself and then insert your key. It should then activate if the copy is legal.
My son had a pc laptop that must have had Vista on it that must have been upgraded to Win7.
Since I don't have either Vista or Win 7 full edition, are you saying that it will accept the key the second time around?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since I don't have either Vista or Win 7 full edition, are you saying that it will accept the key the second time around?

It should. That's how I installed an upgrade version of Windows 7 on my iMac via Boot Camp. The first time I installed it, it accepted the serial number code but went into 30 day trial mode. I just installed it over it self and then it fully activated. One thing, however. If your son's version of Windows 7 is manufacturer specific, then it will never activate. In other words if the CD or DVD is for a Sony, HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc, it won't activate on your Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
One thing, however. If your son's version of Windows 7 is manufacturer specific, then it will never activate. In other words if the CD or DVD is for a Sony, HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc, it won't activate on your Mac.

No, the upgrade discs I have are a MS Windows 2 disk set with no manufacturer name listed..
OK, Thanks.
I have a better idea what to expect now and what happened.
Haven't been impressed with MS's verification methods ever since I bought a copy of Win 7 in 2012 from Digital River and for whatever reason needing to download it after 30 days, finding out it was too late and could not re-install even with a legit key I'd paid for...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.