IPhoto confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I have successfully imported all my photos from a thumb drive into iPhoto. They currently reside in the PHOTOS section in separate folders. How do I get them into albums that show down further in the menu at the side? Will they then be in two places at once or do they transfer completely to the newly created album?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
How do I get them into albums that show down further in the menu at the side?
You should be able to create Albums from iPhoto's File Menu or by using the + button at the bottom left hand corner of the main window.

Photos that are in the Albums are not copies of the originals, but just links to the originals back in the Photos or Events sections. Deleting a photo from an Album deletes it from just that Album. Deleting it from Photos or Events deletes it from any Albums that you have put it in.

You can also can also create Folders, and Albums inside Folders, but you can't create Albums inside Albums.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
You should be able to create Albums from iPhoto's File Menu or by using the + button at the bottom left hand corner of the main window.

Photos that are in the Albums are not copies of the originals, but just links to the originals back in the Photos or Events sections. Deleting a photo from an Album deletes it from just that Album. Deleting it from Photos or Events deletes it from any Albums that you have put it in.

You can also can also create Folders, and Albums inside Folders, but you can't create Albums inside Albums.

Thank you for your detailed response. I will give it a go.

Regards,
Bill

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Dear MightyGem,

I have followed your guidance and am finding it working very well. Photos are getting organized. Thank you for your advice and help.

Regards,
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bill, see the little box with a tick and cross in MightyGem's avatar? Click it once and leave him positive feedback if you found the free advice helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that, Harry. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Bill, see the little box with a tick and cross in MightyGem's avatar? Click it once and leave him positive feedback if you found the free advice helpful.

I must be looking in the wrong place but I can't see it. Is the box in the avatar at the top left of the reply or do you have to click on his avatar to do this? I would really like to thank each of the people who have contributed to answering my issues.

Regards,
Bill

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this a try.

1. Find the post that was helpful.
2. At the top right of the post is the word "permalink" a blank box, and a series of icons,
3. Click the first icon. If the reputation window doesn't appear, right-click and have the browser open it in a new window.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Give this a try.

1. Find the post that was helpful.
2. At the top right of the post is the word "permalink" a blank box, and a series of icons,
3. Click the first icon. If the reputation window doesn't appear, right-click and have the browser open it in a new window.

Thanks for that. I tried it and had no problem.

Regards,
Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.