Aluminium usb keyboard issue

Reaction score
I've had problems with my keyboard (spacebar stopped working), so I bought a new one (MB110S/B).

I ordered a Qwerty keyboard with numeric keypad, which is exactly what I had before, and assumed I could just plug it in. But although the main keys are in the right place, the symbols are in different positions from my last keyboard.

The problem is that my computer recognises the last keyboard, not this one. Does anyone know if there's a way to get it to register this keyboard properly, as otherwise I have to remember where all the symbols were from before, because what's written on the keys isn't what they do! Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure you understand what's going on…but to a stranger reading the post…what was written is confusing & details are missing.

- What did the old keyboard look like?
- What does the new keyboard look like?
- What computer model are we talking about (exactly)?
- What do you mean by the computer doesn't recognize the new keyboard?

Make it easy for us to help you by providing lots of details.:)

- Nick

p.s. Pictures were worth a 1000 words. Photos will help if you can.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry, you're right, I was a bit vague.

I'm on an iMac Intel Core Duo, running Yosemite. Everything was working fine, I don't have any other issues.

Today I received a new keyboard. It's an Apple aluminium qwerty keyboard with a numeric keypad, exactly the same as my old one, except that the symbols are not in the same place. For example, on my old keyboard, the "&" symbol is above the number 7, but on this one it's above the number 6. There are hardly any in the same place as they were before.

I plugged the new keyboard in and assumed the computer would know where all the symbols are (i.e. as they are printed on the keyboard), but it still thinks they're in the same place as they were on the last keyboard.

So when I type shift 6, which is where the new keyboard says the & is located, I get ^ instead. Unless I can find a way to correct this, I have to remember where all the old symbols were, which is a bit daunting.

I hope I've given you everything you need. I have a picture but I can't work out how to add it to the post, sorry.

Thanks for your patience! :0)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What area do you live and where did you purchase the new keyboard from?

I believe the German Apple keyboards have the "backward" characters as yo describe, and maybe some other countries as well.

If that wasn't the case, then someone goofed up in there stock and order.

Here's apparently an Apple German al keyboard shot: edit- NOT!!!

Sorry, the stupid jpg will not upload and display.

Bottom line is, the & is above the 6 key, and / above the 7. Not what I would call NA standard. ;)

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Aluminum usb keyboard issue

Thanks for coming back to me.

I lived in the UK and bought my computer and original keyboard there. I now live in France and bought my new keyboard from Amazon France.

French keyboards have an "azerty" layout instead of "qwerty", so when I chose it, I searched for a "qwerty" keyboard and found one, so I thought it would be simple.

If you select the German, Austrian or Swiss German keyboard option on the Mac, it shows it as being "qwertz" rather than "qwerty".

I was sure there must just be an option on the system preferences that I could select to make this right, because someone must be able to use this keyboard without problems!

Otherwise I suppose my last resort is to contact Amazon France and see what they say.

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd exchange it and get the one you want, now that you know what you want and what you can get, and maybe the Apple Store (on line) may be a better option than Amazon, but I don't know.

You won't be able to change the keys or map them differently or properly, as they have different numbers and symbols on each key than what you're wanting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How old was your origional Apple keyboard? I do know if it was old enough, Apple has changed the Full Size keyboard a bit and on Some Macs people have had some issues. I have read the reviews on Apples site and seen many complaints due to what I just said.

These were all USA keyboards as far as I know, so in this case I might be wrong. There were issues with especially older Intel Mac Minis and the newer version of that keyboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I lived in the UK and bought my computer and original keyboard there. I now live in France and bought my new keyboard from Amazon France.

French keyboards have an "azerty" layout instead of "qwerty", so when I chose it, I searched for a "qwerty" keyboard and found one, so I thought it would be simple.

YIKES…this is a lot of info that should have been included in the original post. We're talking all sorts of unusual details here!;)

Show us some photos (of your own or from the internet) as to what these keyboards look like.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thanks for all your help with this. Following your suggestions I looked at it again and I've managed to work out that it's actually a Swedish keyboard. So I went back to the Amazon listing and nowhere does it mention that. So I've packed it up and I'm returning it today. In the meantime, I followed your advice and ordered one from the Apple Store, which should be here in a couple of days.

It was great to be able to ask questions and get some useful advice, I really appreciate your help and patience.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I looked at it again and I've managed to work out that it's actually a Swedish keyboard.

Wow…I guess that would make things a bit confusing if you didn't want a Swedish keyboard. Just curious…what keyboard did you want in the first place?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Just a regular old bog-standard English one! :0)

Why they would list a Swedish one on a French website without mentioning that it's Swedish is a mystery ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a regular old bog-standard English one! :0)

Why they would list a Swedish one on a French website without mentioning that it's Swedish is a mystery ...

I thought maybe an English keyboard since you mentioned living previously in the UK…but I didn't want to assume.:)

Maybe the listing had a mistake in it. Wouldn't be the first time something was ordered online…purchaser got the wrong thing…and had to return it.

Great to know the problem is solved.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.