• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How can i cut myself off the internet

Reaction score
Hello all

I need a way to stop myself using the internet during the day.

I am a student and have the next 2 months to write a dissertation and revise for some pretty tough exams, both studying at home, but i can't stop playing on the internet.

Is there anyway i can limit my internet usage between 9-5 to a selected number of sites (research). I know some routers block sites totally but that's overkill for my needs.

I'd really appreciate any solutions to this as i'm gonna fail otherwise.

Thanks
M

K

Kokopelli

I don't mean to be sarcastic but discipline is your best bet. Anything you do to restrict access you can most likely undo.

The only way I can think of would be to restrict at the router level and have someone else configure the password so you can not change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I can block you from here for a month or two if you want :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I'd go with Kokopelli's advice, try some discipline, even if it's hard. :cool:

Another possibility would be to unplug your router from the phoneline...and the Internet will be gone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Avalon said:
I'd go with Kokopelli's advice, try some discipline, even if it's hard. :cool:

Another possibility would be to unplug your router from the phoneline...and the Internet will be gone...

which will make you think about using the internet before you use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
at the begining of each day oyu should print out (or save to a folder) all of the research that you will need for the day. Then unplug your computer from the internet and work from what you have on your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm with Graphite on this one. It would be a good start at least....;)

Reaction score
do away with your computer and just use the labs when you need to get online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Just use my school district's computers (Websense+ Norton+ Symnatec filtering of all 'explicit' websites.).

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
I've set myself a new regime. I've allocated my desk as work area and am not allowing myself to play there. If i want to have a break i take my ibook elsewhere. Apparently it's a learning/conditoining thing, something i should have know already being a psychology student.

If this doesnt work then i'm going to lock away my ibook and hook up an old win98 box that'll cope with essay writing and basic internet and not much else.

Wish me luck

(p.s. thanks for the offer Graphite but this forum is the tip of the iceberg plus i need something to play on during my breaks)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.