Search within search?

Reaction score
Ok, this is such a newbie question, but since I am one, I'm going to ask. ;)

I go to the appstore and do a search. Once I've done my first search, if I attempt another search, it only takes the first letter. So, for example, this morning I went to look for Ghostery and Adblock Plus. I typed in Ghostery. No results. I started to type in Adblock and it just takes the first letter and shows results below. Typing another letter just changes the results.

I know it has to be something simple, but I haven't figured this one out yet. Why is it happening and how can I do more than one search in appstore?

C

chas_m

I'm not understanding what the problem is. You're encountering autosuggest, but the reason you're not seeing anything useful there is because neither of those programs are, of course, on the Mac App Store -- since they both mess with the system in order to function. Same reason DiskWarrior isn't available there -- Apple's rules for the Mac App Store would forbid these sorts of apps.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and the info about why some programs are not in the appstore. I recognize autosuggest. I also understand about those two not being in the appstore. The problem I'm encountering is with any search, but it is intermittent. Here's an example.

I click in the search box to search for Pages.
I click p. It suggests penguins.
I click a, it doesn't keep the p I typed. It suggests apps starting with a.
I click g, it doesn't keep the p or a. It suggest apps starting with g.

And so on. The crazy thing is that it doesn't do it consistently. Sometimes I can do one search after another just like normal. Other times, I get the behavior that happens above. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simply use Google it is quicker. Type in AdBlockPlus and you get this:-

https://adblockplus.org

Now do the same with Ghostery. Many app developpers also disagree with Apple'scommisions and terms of sale and been in business prior to the App Store coming along and will stay that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do as ^^^ Harry suggested, but as to your problem, I have never seen this before.

I would suggest opening Disk Utility and Repairing Permissions on yourHD and then restarting and see if that helps.
When did you notice this happening?? Does it change if you type a letter, then ⌘A (select all) and then tray and type a new word in there ??
Pop back if this doesn't fix the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.