Windows 10 Anyone?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing any of the Windows 10 Builds in Bootcamp yet? I have it on a couple of my Thinkpads and think it's pretty slick . Sometime in the near future, I'going to need to run OSX and a windows environment on a Mac Mini because some of my Windows using staff think Macs are from Mars.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To properly run Windows on a Mac through Boot Camp, you need the Boot Camp drivers. While the drivers for Windows 8 might work with Windows 10, it might not be stable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
While the drivers for Windows 8 might work with Windows 10, it might not be stable..
It should be stable enough, as the technical preview is - I believe - still currently built on version 6.2 of the NT kernel (same as Windows 8 / 8.1). However, the consumer preview might be built on an early version of NT 6.3 & so less compatible driver-wise...

Reaction score
I could never get the Tech Previews of Windows 10 to work on any virtualization platform. (Media driver issues - which might also prevent it from installing on actual hardware).

However, I am curious about running it through BootCamp on my MacBook (I think I can...).

Reaction score
It should be stable enough, as the technical preview is - I believe - still currently built on version 6.2 of the NT kernel (same as Windows 8 / 8.1). However, the consumer preview might be built on an early version of NT 6.3 & so less compatible driver-wise...

As of 23 January it's on version 10.0.9926

OP
C
Reaction score
A month ago I might have gone ahead and tried it, but the latest build seems to be a little less stable than the previous examples. Not going to worry about it until the RTM comes out. Might be interesting if Apple would add Siri to OS X. Imagine Cortana and Siri in the same machine. Would they be arguing constantly or ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree Windows 10 is a sweet OS. Especially compared to Windows 8.1. I have it running on a windows machine and have been testing it. I work in a windows environment so I felt I should give it a test drive. I have found the updates will either create a more stable version or sometimes something won't work quite right. I send in my observations and it seems someone is listening as it will get corrected. They seem to be trying harder this time.

I gave Windows 8 beta a shot when it came out and felt it was like they were saying "this is already perfect - how could you find flaws!" - so I uninstalled that beta.

When Windows 10 comes out there will still be the constant updates that take forever to deal with and the malware issues making running third-party antivirus a necessity. And the install and uninstall issues eventually resulting in a bloated registry. I just don't see why they don't make a big jump and scrap the underlying structure and start over. NT has been around since 1993 before malware was a word. I know it would be huge but the premise that "we must be backward compatible" to as much software as possible is just too hard to keep doing.

For now I will never put a version of Windows on any of my macs. I can do that as I have other Windows computers. I just don't want the malware and constant update issues. I have managed to get versions of the software I need for both OS's and I can share between them using my server or the cloud. That works for me.

Okay off my soap box for now...

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
You won't get any argument from me. There's no reason to complicate things with Windows on the Mac. The Windows Badge kind of a target!
Windows 10 will be a great OS when they get the bugs worked out. But there will always be updates, often more than one daily. I wouldn't know what to do if I started a Thinkpad and didn't have to wait for it to configure updates and re-start. Come to think of it, I do. Start with the Mac!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS is desperate to get this right. The amount of sales loss from Windows 8 and 8.1 just can not be sustained over any length of time. MS has put the word out (see other thread in Lounge forum) that owners of Windows 7 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for a year after its public release. Of course that goes for owners of 8 and 8.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
MS is desperate to get this right. The amount of sales loss from Windows 8 and 8.1 just can not be sustained over any length of time. MS has put the word out (see other thread in Lounge forum) that owners of Windows 7 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for a year after its public release. Of course that goes for owners of 8 and 8.1.

WOW! I will be looking for the free upgrade. Wonder how they will go about doing that. I will be interested in upgrading the windows computers at work (I have only my husbands at home and he is due for an apple upgrade ;) )

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm guessing that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will be a download only (probably an executable or iso along with an activation code) that you do from a legal copy of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. MS could also offer a optional pay for DVD for backup. (Similar to what they do now for Windows downloads.)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have Windows 10 installed in a VM through VMWare Fusion and it works just as well as my Windows 8.1 VM..

OP
C
Reaction score
I agree that it's pretty slick. It's running on 2 T61 Thinkpads and an old custom build desktop. So far, the bulls have been much more competent than the RTM of Windows 8 ( I actually stayed up really late that night to download it, What a waste of time). The constant updating gets a little old after a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Reaction score
Honestly if you want to use windows 10 preview it run's excellent on virtual box on maverick and on yosemite.

Reaction score
I've managed to re-download the ISO's of Win10 Tech Prev and didn't run into any problems through virtualization on an old quad-core machine. So far it hasn't crashed on me, though I'm reading up on the Windows Insider forums of various issues with the Store Beta app and some other nitpicks.

The temptation to run this through Boot Camp on my MacBook is strong though, considering I can't put the Tech Preview on my Surface 2 (with no word from MSFT regarding any previews for these RT devices like there are Windows Phone).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2012
I have Windows 10 installed in a VM through VMWare Fusion and it works just as well as my Windows 8.1 VM..

That's good to know. I have Fusion and I will give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.