ipad mini 2 WiFi + Cellular???

Reaction score
Not the same question again*&*^&(*
I'm new here and sure someone has answered this before but it didn't pop up in search so... If I buy an ipad mini 2 with WiFi and cellular, do I HAVE to buy a data plan OR could I just get data for a month if I were to travel and would need it. I would be using WiFi at home, work and school the rest of the time?
Thanks for your answer(s) and patience, magnolia44

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, data plans for the iPad are pay as you go. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon offer a monthly plan that you can pay for each month. If you don't want it for a particular month, you don't pay.

T-Mobile will give you 200 MB of data for free each month. Also, T-Mobile monthly data plans for the iPad are less expensive. But check on coverage before you decide. Your iPad can be used with all four carriers depending on what sim card is installed.

OP
M
Reaction score
ipad mini 2 and sim cards

Thank-you Chscag, I was told that was the case by a salesperson at Costco.... but I have seen them on shopping sites and they say Verizon or T-Mobile or whatever, contract required, so that was my reason for the question, can sim cards be swapped out or are you stuck with whatever has been installed?
Thanks again, magnolia44

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The sim card can definitely be swapped. When I purchased my iPad from the Apple store it had a Verizon sim card installed. I took my iPad to T-Mobile and they swapped out the sim card for me. (cost was $10.00) The cellular iPads all have interchangeable sim card slots.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sim Cards and ipad mini 2

Thanks so much, I feel a lot more confident buying one now that I know the lay of the land with respect to Wifi only or Wifi with cellular, magnolia44

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.