Linksys WRT54GS

A

airline1

I have just bought a Linksys WRT54GS router.
Now, being a bit ignorant on all things network related, I have a question.

On my previous netgear box it said it was an all in one modem, router, wireless thingy. But on the new one it says its just a router. Do I need a modem or will the AE card inside my PB still be able to connect to this router.

Thought I best ask before I take it out the box and Im still able to return it.

Cheers
Dave

OP
J

JimmyHat

The modem component is only used for connecting to the internet, and is usually provided by your ISP (cable or DSL generally). Your router will be used to be able to connect multiple computers (to one another, and potentially to share one internet connection).

With your new router, you will be able to connect your computer to the router without any additional requirements. However, if you want to connect to the internet, you will need some way of connecting the router to the internet (a modem).

Most ISPs will provide a modem with your service free of charge (when you have a subscription to high-speed internet access). Modems generally have both a USB and an Ethernet port on the back.

You will need to connect your modem to the WAN port on your router (using an ethernet cable). Then, go to the router's configuration page (I think it's 192.168.1.1 for LinkSys), and enter the appropriate information (for DSL, you'll have to configure PPPoE, for cable it's usually DHCP). You will most likely not be able to access the configuration page via wireless access until you have configured your router to be able to do so. I would recommend making all your changes by plugging in directly with an ethernet cable, then once it's all working, using your wireless.

If you're having trouble, give your tech support service a call and they should be able to help you out.

I would highly recommend using WPA2 encryption on your wireless network. If you don't use any protection, you can have other people connecting to the net through your account, or even accessing the information on your computer!

Also, be sure to change the administrator password on your router. If you don't, you run the risk of having someone else change your configurations or again getting access to your information.

OP
A

airline1

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Much appreciated.

Just to clarify, the only equipment I have is the powerbook with built in AE and the router. Do I also need a modem? If so I will return the router and replace it with one with a built in modem.

Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
From what I can see you do need a modem as well. I'm assuming you're in the UK and have adsl/broadband. If you're going to take the product back, I'd get the Netgear DG834G as it's fantastic, and has the modem built in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.