PDA

View Full Version : Help! Downloaded QT file won't run!

usingmac
01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I have copied a QuickTime file onto multiple laptops and I'm getting this message upon opening:

"...can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

Apparently I have to set up my security preferences differently. Anyone have a quick fix or workaround?

chscag
01-13-2015, 05:37 PM
That's the built in GateKeeper security which is preventing the installation. Just right click on the file and select install or open if you're sure it's OK. The other method requires going into System Preferences, Security & Privacy, and temporarily turning off GateKeeper which we do not recommend.

usingmac
01-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Thank you so much, it worked! What a relief!!
How come some of my laptops opened the file ok? Does that gatekeeper thing get set up on it's own randomly or did it come about due to my update from 10.6 to Yosemite?

Slydude
01-14-2015, 12:14 AM
As far as I know GateKeeper starts out with the same settings each time. Is it possible that you opened the Security settings once and changed them to complete an application installation? In that case the change you made is retained until it is changed again.

MightyGem
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Does that gatekeeper thing get set up on it's own randomly or did it come about due to my update from 10.6 to Yosemite?
Yes, it was introduced with Mountain Lion.
OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support (http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491)

usingmac
01-14-2015, 04:12 PM
With the upgrade?