Running VM's in Bootcamp on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help with this.

I have a macbook pro 2.66ghx, 4mb ram, osx 10.9 and have the following requirements.

..I use an application that is web based and pc only so i am using windows 7 on my macbook pro in bootcamp. Also this app is internet based and requires a decent connection speed and fast processing. So far this part works fine, but i would like to do the same with additional VM players (windows 7) from within bootcamp.

I have tried this but so far i have had alot of issues with speed and crashing and overheating.. i have got macfan running to help cool things but it still gets too much.

So i guess my main question is whether my machine is capable of doing this task fast and reliably in bootcamp? If not would it be worth an upspec?

I appreciate that a pc would be more suitable for this but i would like to to know if its possible on my macbook before i spent out on a pc?

thanks for any help...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So far this part works fine, but i would like to do the same with additional VM players (windows 7) from within bootcamp.

What VM do you want to run within bootcamp?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I want to run windows 7 on vm players. I will not need to run any apps on the Vm players but i will need to have to be quite fast

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to run windows 7 on vm players. I will not need to run any apps on the Vm players but i will need to have to be quite fast

If I'm understanding things correctly…you want to run a VM with Wndows 7 in bootcamp. If this is correct…why do you want to run Windows 7 within Windows 7??

If you have Windows 7 installed via bootcamp on your Mac…you already have Windows 7 installed "natively" (no need to run a VM of Wndows 7 within bootcamp). So Windows 7 (within a bootcamp partition) is going to run just as fast as it would on a "Windows Computer".:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct :)
I need to run each VM (in window7) independently within bootcamp (windows 7) on a mac.

Windows 7 in bootcamp is running fine. It is the VM's that are running slowly. I was just wondering if this was due to my computers processor/memory limitations?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you got each installation of the operating system doing something independently and simultaneously...this is like trying to run 2, 3 ,4, or more computers within one computer. And this could all be happening on an older Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz MBP (or maybe an early i7).

So the computer is going to have some performance & ram issues. I think that you may be asking this one computer to do too much.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm still not sure what the goal is here. As Nick mentioned the fastest way to run Windows 7 is via BootCamp. The downside is that this requires a reboot to change operating systems.

The alternative is to create a virtual machine that uses the Windows installation on your Boot Camp partition as a base. What I'm not understanding is the need for a second VM within that. Perhaps it would help if we knew what the app you're running does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'm not understanding is the need for a second VM within that. Perhaps it would help if we knew what the app you're running does.

Running a Windows VM within Windows is also in violation of the Microsoft EULA unless he specifically has a version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 that it's authorized on. I believe only the more expensive professional versions of Windows allow another Windows VM to be run from it. For example, running a VM of XP or Vista from Windows 7. In either event, running another copy of Windows 7 from within Windows 7 is not allowed and probably won't activate anyway.

Reaction score
Hi Deansmith,

1.Did you checked your memory pressure.Since you are Windows not sure how you will do it
2. The reason i am saying this is,it depends on how much RAM memory you allocate to VM
3. I used Oracle Virtual Box VM and loaded windows in it. It took 2 to 3 GB of my RAM,it was very slow
4. So i upgraded to 8 GB RAM,now its working fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.