completer wants to make changes.

Reaction score
This keeps popping up on my screen.

This is what it says when I try to get information.

This is the first I have ever seen of this. As of now I keep ejecting it, but it keeps popping back up.
Is it bad, or should I go ahead and press OK?

My Mackbook Pro.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Any idea what software / installer this is for?

Reaction score
mc is a safari extension that is a piece of ad ware that installs itself as a legit safari extension to remove it all you need to do is go into safari/preferences/extensions and select mc and remove it don't ever install this its a scam program used to trick people into installing it

OP
C
Reaction score
I removed the only extension that was in Safari, and this still popped back up.
Amy more ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
mc is a safari extension that is a piece of ad ware that installs itself as a legit safari extension to remove it all you need to do is go into safari/preferences/extensions and select mc and remove it don't ever install this its a scam program used to trick people into installing it
John, why do you keep posting answers that aren't right? A quick search would have revealed that it's not "mc" but is instead a companion app to Genieo.

carpenterken, you can find removal instructions here.

Reaction score
Adware Removal

I fell in with the WOULD RATHER NOT ATTEMPT MANUAL REMOVAL camp and happily donated $10 for Adware Medic AdwareMedic. Installed and followed directions, and ten seconds later the Genieo adware seems to have been removed...so far so good.

Reaction score
I fell in with the WOULD RATHER NOT ATTEMPT MANUAL REMOVAL camp and happily donated $10 for Adware Medic AdwareMedic. Installed and followed directions, and ten seconds later the Genieo adware seems to have been removed...so far so good.

3R, what OS are you on... I've heard that using the adware on my 10.6.8 IMAc may cause problems... OH, and so far, only Google Chrome seems to be infected..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
3R, what OS are you on... I've heard that using the adware on my 10.6.8 IMAc may cause problems... OH, and so far, only Google Chrome seems to be infected..

If you're using SL 10.6.8 you can follow most of the Manual Adware Removal Guide instructions, and even if you don't mind using Terminal, you can find and delete any of the adware files using Find Any File, a musthave app IMO and definitely a Stoplight (aka: Spotlight) replacement for locating such files etc.

Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have received this 'Completer wants to make changes' message today for the first time ever. It has already appeared twice and each time I have just entered my iMac logon password.

I don't appear to have Geneio but the only extension I have found is Omnibar which I have removed. Could something have been installed without my knowledge? Should I change my logon password?

Genieo doesn't appear to be running.

I can't find a 'launchd.conf' file with Spotlight. However in Application Support there is a file called 'com.genieinnovation.Installer'. Should I delete it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It seem that it should go, but I think you may have misspelled it and it should be com.genieoinnovation.installer.

But try googling them both, and lots of hits even years old like:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6083130?tstart=0
or newer
osx - How do I get rid of Genieo from my MacBook Pro? - Ask Different

And as for finding stuff with Stoplight (aka: Spotlight), do yourself a favour and get yourself a copy of Find Any File. It will find things every time — if it's spelt correctly. ;)
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

And if you need more info, just google on the phrase you got — Completer wants to make changes

You'll get all kinds of hits and find you've been hit with the malware.

M

MacInWin

I have received this 'Completer wants to make changes' message today for the first time ever. It has already appeared twice and each time I have just entered my iMac logon password.
That warning is there to prevent exactly what happened to you. Don't enter your password unless you KNOW what is being installed and YOU initiated the installation. That way you stand a much, much lower chance of getting crapware installed on your machine.
Could something have been installed without my knowledge? Should I change my logon password?
If you entered your password, something was installed. Guaranteed. But it wasn't "without my knowledge." You were told, you entered your password, you authorized it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.