server connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Hello,

I have a general network question that has to do with my server. You guys are some off the smartest people I know so I will ask it on this forum. I have 4 computers, they all have 100 mb connections to the network. My file server also has a 100 mb connection. If I were to upgrade my file server to a 1000 mb connection would there be a good difference in file tranfer speeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If all four machines were accessing the server at the same time you would see an improvement. Since each machine is 100mb they will never exceed that. However the server could address requests from multiple machines faster. Keep in mind that if you are trying to access large files the speed would then be dependent on HD access times and CPU load as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Thank you guys for the help, yes if I did this I would need a gb switch and NIC card. I think I will just spend the money in more ram. Most of the time I dont have all 4 computers accessing it at the same time anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.