• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

leopard to come out on 30th anniversary?

Reaction score
Who thinks that leopard will come out on the 30th anniversary? I do, i think that they might also release a new ipod (the last on was released in december).

L

lil

Maybe a new iPod.

As for OS X 10.5 being released then, more chance of **** freezing over in my books :flower: But if it does, then that would be nice, but I'd rather they spend their time refining it for an uber release later in the year, early 2007. That would really heighten the catch up game for Microsoft.

An OS X 10.5 preview is scheduled for the WWDC this August.

Vicky

K

Kokopelli

Extremely unlikely. There has not even been a ADC beta yet. Nor has the Apple hype machine begun. Sorry to rain on your parade but I would guess Leopard to be at least 6 months out. Even that is extremely optimistic IMHO, I would guess 12-18 months out.

EDIT: Too slow. :)

Reaction score
Yeah it wouldn't really match up with what apple has said til now. They'll want sales of tiger for a while, and putting leopard out there now wold just send tiger away being a mediocre release, which in my opinion it isn't.

We all want chardonnay, and it will come, soon enough. Apart from hardware promises ((3 GHz) Apple keeps it's promises. So end of 2006 it will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Leopard i don't think so, new iPod most probably, there are a lot of "signs" around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
EDIT-XTREEM said:
Who thinks that leopard will come out on the 30th anniversary? I do, i think that they might also release a new ipod (the last on was released in december).

I'm not entirely sure what Leopard is, I assume it's the follow up to Tiger and as far as I'm aware that hasn't been around long. I've only just switched to macs so I'm not too up on my knowledge of the OS turnaround and such so I wouldn't like to make too much of a comment on it!

On the iPod front, I think that it's likely that a new iPod will be released. From what I've heard it's going to be more video oriented, my housemate showed me pictures of supposed pantent applications for a new iPod with a touch screen (they may have been posted round here too), I don't know if it's fake or not but if it's real then that may be the next step. It'd be a good one to go with on the 30th anniversary!

L

lil

Indeed it is OS X 10.5 is 'Leopard'

Tiger (10.4) came out in April 2005, not that long ago.

Before this was:

Panther - 10.3
Jaguar - 10.2
Cheetah - 10.1
Steaming pile of monkey dung - 10.0

Sorry, I meant Puma :flower: (10.0 was not a good release!)

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
lil said:
Indeed it is OS X 10.5 is 'Leopard'

Tiger (10.4) came out in April 2005, not that long ago.

Before this was:

Panther - 10.3
Jaguar - 10.2
Cheetah - 10.1
Steaming pile of monkey dung - 10.0

Sorry, I meant Puma :flower: (10.0 was not a good release!)

Vicky

I do like the names of Apple software, the OS's are obviously named after big cats, I find that a lot of other software is named after food too, I have toast (there's also popcorn that goes with that) I've got cocktail and various others. Food always tempts me!

And also the simple i*product* is great! so simple, easy to understand, it sells! Apple's marketing department is fantastic!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
They do have the advantage of a great marketing dept.

Just a thought, will the new OS be compatible with the new iMac Core Duo I have just brought?? I really hope it will or I will feel like I have been sold up the river by apple.

Z

zap2

No 10.5, there have not even been Beta test yet, also Apple said long time between OS updates not shorter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Say_Cheese said:
They do have the advantage of a great marketing dept.

Just a thought, will the new OS be compatible with the new iMac Core Duo I have just brought?? I really hope it will or I will feel like I have been sold up the river by apple.

All software made by apple will be sold in a univeral format, including os's, from this poit forward, and eventually phasing out the ppc line of software and hardware.

Reaction score
I hope not too soon though, just bought my iMac G5 in November (love it) and it htink Apple will support PPC for about another 5-7 years (even microsoft has promised to suport it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Why do people think there will be a new iPod every three ****ing weeks?

I'm sorry, I try not to be vulgar, but think about it people: when was the last time Apple terminated a major iPod model within 6 months of release?
First generation: October 2001- April 2003. 11 months.
2nd generation: July 2002- April 2003. 10 months.
Third generation: April 2003-July 2004. 16 months.
Fourth Generation:July 2004- October 2005 (I'm not counting the Photo and monochrome separate, even if you want to, the Photo lasted a while anyway). 16 months.

See where I'm going? The Mini only received one major update in the two years it was out as well. When did Apple start turning out iPods every three months? In the words of Will Ferrell during Zoolander: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I expect a new iPod, but not as an adition or upgrade to the current model, but as a different line. It will probably be able to play music and all the stuff this one does, but i think if Apple will ever release a true video iPod will be as a different line within/outside the current iPods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
mraya said:
I expect a new iPod, but not as an adition or upgrade to the current model, but as a different line. It will probably be able to play music and all the stuff this one does, but i think if Apple will ever release a true video iPod will be as a different line within/outside the current iPods.

I'm still hoping for a 13.3" iBook. If they can make a 13" widescreen with a screen like the MacBook Pro, I'll be in heaven. Crossing my fingers!

Reaction score
Apple released the iPod Nano and the iPod Video within weeks from each other. The new iPod will be the iPod AV, a completely new member of the iPod family.

iPod shuffles should be dumped.

Nano, iPod, AV --> dream lineup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
yogi said:
Apple released the iPod Nano and the iPod Video within weeks from each other. The new iPod will be the iPod AV, a completely new member of the iPod family.

iPod shuffles should be dumped.

Nano, iPod, AV --> dream lineup

That wasn't my point. People are acting like Apple is just going to kill the current 5th gen. I wasn't talking about models targeted at different markets (The Nano isn't meant for the same guy who wants a 5th generation).

However, if it were a separate line it would work.

Oh, and if anyone else is like me and loves the 3rd gen, think about this: firmware hacks!

Reaction score
I agree with yogi in that the rumoured video ipod will be at the top of the line and the 5th gen will still be there. Kinda like what they did with the ipod photo.

Something pretty big has gotta come out on the 1st April though, I mean its apple's 30th!

Reaction score
yeah i guess they might just release something to rival the new UMPC's that other's are bringing out. Of course, "shipping today" would be nice.
Origami will die! Muahaha.

Umm, well. BTW Firmware Hacks for 3rd gen? like what? I'm super itnerested, love my touchy ipod!

T

teenagemom

I'm still hoping for a 13.3" iBook. If they can make a 13" widescreen with a screen like the MacBook Pro, I'll be in heaven. Crossing my fingers!

i agree!! we should just cross our fingers... :cool: i hope it will turn out to be a great anniversary for apple!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.