What is a URL shortening and redirection service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
used for? I tried to download something and it asked to click a service, or link (safeurl.eu).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A picture is worth a thousand words so the saying goes..... tinyurl link

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Interesting. However, I never considered an url as being "too large" or onerous to copy+paste, but I'll back out of this discussion as I know not much about programing.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are some URLs that are ridiculously long and shorteners make sense. However, the REAL reason that shorteners even came into existence is because of Twitter..

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
They're also useful if you want people to be able to type them in by hand. I used a URL shortner to create an easy URL to type in for a flyer I was producing.

Reaction score
It just shortens your long url, if you have a really long URL and it doesn't seem right to use it in your post , article then you can use a short URL instead to save the space and it will also look better. There are plenty of URL shortening services out there like bitly.com , tinyurl.com etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.