Where can I download windows?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, and the whole bootcamp thing in general.

I am aware that I will need to download an official Windows software (e.g. Windows 7 full edition, etc) to switch to Windows using bootcamp.

The problem is, I haven't been able to find any place to download Windows (legally at least). I have checked the Windows online store - they sell Windows 8.1 full version, but they have also stated on the page that "Windows 8.1 full version is for Windows 7 users only." (Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Store Singapore Online Store) I have also seen people using the term ISOs but have no idea what they mean.

Can somebody please give me some advice on where I can download a full Windows software legally for my iMac? :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even here in the US, Windows 8.1 full install is only available for those users who are currently running Windows 7. If you buy a copy of Windows 8, then Windows 8.1 is a free download. Why can't you buy Windows 7 or 8 on DVD there in Singapore? Even if your Mac does not have an optical drive you can always use an external drive to burn the DVD to an iso on a USB flash drive and install it that way.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt response! I was able to download Windows :)

I have another question though. As I have also purchased Parallels Desktop 10, and have used my Windows installation disk on Parallels, will I still be able to use the same installation disk to set up an additional Windows partition through Bootcamp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can use the same disk and serial number. It may or may not require activation again but if it's on the same computer there should be no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.