Mail alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC i7 3.1Ghz 16mb RAM 250gb SSD
I've been using Evolution on a Linux machine and now have an iMac with Yosermite.
The Mac mail client is lacks the integration of address book, to do, calender and mail. Is there an alternative that is similar to Evolution? (which does not seem to work on Yosermite)
Chris

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Mac mail client is lacks the integration of address book, to do, calender and mail. Is there an alternative that is similar to Evolution? (which does not seem to work on Yosermite)
Outlook has that kind of integration but that's only available to you if you're a 365 member or have a licence for Office. I believe Thunderbird can have that kind of feature set with plugins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Chris, I faced a similar question about 5-6 years ago, when I switched to Mac from Linux. I even kept Thunderbird in OS X to begin with.

The fact is, Mail works perfectly with Calendar, Contacts, Reminder and Notes (and Maps now), it just not all bunged up into the same app.

After only a couple of months it made much more sense, and having used this for a long time now, I wouldn't go back to a single, integrated mail app - much prefer this uncluttered approach. I still have at least three main windows (Mail, Contacts, Calendar) open on the same desktop, so it's a doodle to shift attention from one to another ...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. Outlook looked promising but I would not want the whole office suite and would not want a license for just 1yr. I,ll try Thunderbird whilst still using the Mac offerings.
Chris

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just installed "crossover" and "essentialpim for Windows" (free version) on my new iMac with Yosermite.
I'm using the trail version of Crossover. If it all works ok will buy the full version.
Essentialpim looks good but I have'nt set it all up yet.
Has anyone else got this software? Any comments please?
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.