PDA

View Full Version : Restoring iTunes from broken NAS

steadyonabix
11-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Hi

I'm running a MAC Mini with OS X Yosemite 10.10

I had iTunes installed on a NAS drive that seems to have lost a disk. It was raid 5 and I "seem" to have managed to pull the library off ok onto an external USB drive.

I think I would prefer to run it from the MAC itself now but cannot seem to migrate the library.

When I follow the instructions here (http://ipod.about.com/od/restoreandreformatipod/ht/Restore-Itunes-From-Backup.htm) iTunes seems to start OK and select the new libray but then tells me it cannot connect to the old location, (NAS) and asks me if I want to search for each song.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening or guide me on how to explore the issue further?

Thanks

Brad

Slydude
11-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Did you go into the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences and tell it the new location of the iTunes Media folder?

steadyonabix
11-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Yes I did but the odd thing is that the location given was my Music folder, not the NAS.

So when I restored my backup to the mini I just renamed my existing iTunes folder and copied in the backup. But it still hangs up saying it can't contact my NAS.

I've ordered a new disk for the NAS and hopefully it will repair itself. Perhaps at that point I can migrate the music rather than restore a backup.

Perhaps it is linking from the Music folder to the NAS or something?

BTW I have just noticed that "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" is not checked.
Perhaps that is why I have an iTunes folder on the mini?

I'm grasping at straws here I must admit.