iPad locking up more frequently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I have ipad 4 and it is locking up much more frequently now that I've updated to iOS 8.1. I have multiple email accounts, and it is not uncommon for the iPad to freeze while reading LIVE mail (only this account). Today I was doing a survey with Safari and it locked up while selecting the order of my preferences for why choosing my MDX. I was able to 'continue' but unable to finish or make any changes to the page I was working on. Next, I found Safari locked up in the middle of my writing this post. I am naturally concerned and wondering if others are experiencing this type of thing with older iPads. Should I consider restoring to factory settings and rebuild?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be a hardware issue, but the number 1 reason:

iOS devices (imho) suffer from an issue of not enough memory (RAM). Applications will lock up when you've run out of RAM. The easy fix is to do a complete shut down and restart once in awhile to totally clear out the memory. With the applications I use, typically a once every week or so takes care of the issue on my iPhone. I run into the issue when using Apple's Maps along with the Audible app simultaneously for an extended period of time - I've typically also had a dozen or so other apps open of course, but the combination of those 2 can freeze iOS &/or cause strange glitches in Audible which a restart fixes.

Reaction score
I have a question i have Ipad air,
quite often i can via app memory
doctor see the ram goes very low down to
sometimes under 20mb, but if i press
home button twice and delete the
apps open in back ground i get
over 500mb free ram.
Then why does ios8 not clear this
ram automatically? this would give
problem free use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know iOS 8 works the same way. At least it does on my iPhone. What makes you think that memory is not returned to the system when you close an app? (Press home twice and then swipe up for each open app.)

C

chas_m

In fact, the RAM will be returned after a period of time or when it is needed.

You do not need to micro-manage your iPad. Just occasionally (every few weeks/months) shut it down completely and restart it. That's it.

Reaction score
When apps are opened it uses certain amount of ram lets say 50 mb
and when i close the app pressing home this ram is not freed up, until
you press home twice and swipe up.
My point is most people do not free their ram by press home twice and swipe up
they just open many apps after each other, then the problem comes
as more and more apps are in the background all useing ram, and problems
start with reboots etc.
Could this not be made by the ios automatically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The memory that was used for an app that was running but now is closed becomes available to iOS to re-allocate to another app if needed. There is no need to press home twice and swipe up if you don't want to. I personally like to do that once a day to see what I had running and of course it does clear out memory.

Reaction score
I can see the ios does not do a good job to free the ram.
I have a few apps open in back ground, went into the app
memory doctor,and could see 9,7 mb ram free, i did the
2xhome and swipe closed the apps and could then see
over 500 mb free in memory doctor.
I will still ask a very logic question why the ios does not do
this automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.