PDA

View Full Version : migrating serato and itunes files to new pc?

mikehende
11-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, someone has his music system where all tunes downloaded via itunes goes into his Serato setup on his mac, he just bought a new macbook pro and wants to migrate everything and have the same setup on his new unit, is this possible and if so, what will this involve please?

chscag
11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
If he has already created an account on the new MacBook Pro, the best way is to use the Migration Assistant but only for his data, settings, and so forth. Do not allow the MA to migrate his old account or he will wind up with a lot of confusion. If he has not yet created an account on the new machine, post back and I'll outline a different way.

mikehende
11-06-2014, 07:34 AM
I am not understanding which "account" you are referring to here please?

chscag
11-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I am not understanding which "account" you are referring to here please?

His user account. If he migrates using the auto feature of MA he'll wind up with two accounts on the new Mac and lots of confusion. That's why I suggest he do it manually and only allow the data to be transferred. The MA is great but if used improperly, can cause trouble.

mikehende
11-06-2014, 09:30 PM
I think the main problem here will be itunes as that when you move the mp3's from one location to another you usually get lot's of problems?

chscag
11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with iTunes. I've moved MP3s from external drives to iTunes and back again several times. Also from one Mac to another without difficulty. Most of our MP3s are home made but we also have the commercial variety.

mikehende
11-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Alright, let me see if I can have a plan for this, his mp3's are located on his old mac but since he needs to have one of his macs for every day use, I can tell him to copy the mp3 files to an external drive then transfer them into his new mac? Then how would it work with the itunes on the new mac, he would need to copy the 3 base itunes files from the old mac and replace those new files into the new mac's itunes folder?

chscag
11-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Just have him copy the actual MP3 song files to a USB flash drive and from there copy them directly to the iTunes library in the new Mac. Works every time.